Collector pipe mod

Jay1

I have read through the collector pipe mod and as a welder i might consider doing it in the future. Although i still cannot determine whether this mod is worth it or really does make a difference because there are no dyno results. Also, does it provide extra low end torque power or top end? Below is the photo of the collector pipe where it squishes up as it joins together.

733AB0F7-5A4C-4EC1-8F64-1833B343C744.png

Similar to yourself I have previously reviewed a number of threads on this Forum about this Y pipe modification. I understand that the torque curve mores more towards the top end.  This does not suit my driving style and conditions where I prefer more torque in the lower rev band.

I made particular note of 1 post where the member did this modification then changed it back to factory standard.

End result is that I upgraded the rear catalytic convertor to a high flow one. Not going to give it a personal recommendation but something to consider as an alternative.

As a welder, you should be able to easily change this rear catalytic convertor and change back, if required.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Similar to yourself I have previously reviewed a number of threads on this Forum about this Y pipe modification. I understand that the torque curve mores more towards the top end.  This does not suit my driving style and conditions where I prefer more torque in the lower rev band.

I made particular note of 1 post where the member did this modification then changed it back to factory standard.

End result is that I upgraded the rear catalytic convertor to a high flow one. Not going to give it a personal recommendation but something to consider as an alternative.

As a welder, you should be able to easily change this rear catalytic convertor and change back, if required.

Appreciate the feedback!

Claims seem to be anything from "no change" to "huge difference". I honestly couldn't notice a difference, unfortunately. Was expecting something - a placebo if anything. 

Though, if you can do it yourself, it's probably worth a try/to experiment. 

16 hours ago, donnot said:

Claims seem to be anything from "no change" to "huge difference". I honestly couldn't notice a difference, unfortunately. Was expecting something - a placebo if anything. 

Though, if you can do it yourself, it's probably worth a try/to experiment. 

The only way to find out is through a dyno run unfortunately. I’ll have to find another way to add power while keeping it n/a.

7 hours ago, Jay1 said:

The only way to find out is through a dyno run unfortunately. I’ll have to find another way to add power while keeping it n/a.

There are a few dyno sheets available if you search for the 2GR (V6) Camry in the US and the Y-pipe modification that show slight power gains. I spent many hours trying to find mods for more power, but there isn't much outside of a couple % here or there max (without going down the expensive SC route). 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just a" heads up".  I had the y pipe mod done & did notice a slight difference. It was getting into 6th a lot quicker though.

The biggest change was when I recently combined this with a high flow rear cat & 2 Berklee anti drone sports mufflers. You can only just notice a slight difference in sound at idle & even higher in the revs but is it way smoother & a great power increase.

I am not sure about fuel economy yet but definitely worth it in seat of the pants power uptake and free revving.

I know the Mitsubishi 380/Magna's  3.8/3.5 were getting 7kw from this mod and have used it on them in the past.

Beware of exhaust modifications on twin cams...I've spent 25 years in the exhaust game...

Rule of thumb unbolt and save your original exhaust parts...

Why??...The modern day car is thinly built and all these flashy shiny "boy racer" bits that look cool generate noise, lots of it and it comes straight into the interior...Plus they sound like ****...

So when you can't handle the noise anymore bolt the original parts back on and increase you resale value... 

2nd rule of thumb is If you want your 4 cylinder to sound like a cool V8 add another 4 cylinders...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rubin said:

Beware of exhaust modifications on twin cams...I've spent 25 years in the exhaust game...

Rule of thumb unbolt and save your original exhaust parts...

Why??...The modern day car is thinly built and all these flashy shiny "boy racer" bits that look cool generate noise, lots of it and it comes straight into the interior...Plus they sound like ****...

So when you can't handle the noise anymore bolt the original parts back on and increase you resale value... 

2nd rule of thumb is If you want your 4 cylinder to sound like a cool V8 add another 4 cylinders...

The exhaust on my Aurion is very quiet barely louder than the stock, lucky to be noticed. On hearing it you would think it was stock. That is why I went for the large anti drone Berklee sports mufflers as I want the car to be quiet but a little bit more power and better fuel economy.    

I agree with your analogy, nothing worse than a raspy loud 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine.