Car bouncing

I bought a used 09 Aurion atx 140k on the clock. The car feels like its bouncy when driving. I took it to the mechanic he said struts are fine. What could be causing the bounce feeling? Tyres look good and have a 41PSI Pressure. 

14 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I bought a used 09 Aurion atx 140k on the clock. The car feels like its bouncy when driving. I took it to the mechanic he said struts are fine. What could be causing the bounce feeling? Tyres look good and have a 41PSI Pressure. 

You'll be surprised to find that certain tyres make the ride jolty or conversely floaty, depending on the sidewall structure. 41PSI is a bit high, don't you think? Reduce it to 36PSI and see how you go.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:47 AM, Henstepper said:

Did your mechanic offer any advice on the bouncy effect ? You have to remember that the Aurions are a little nose heavy having the V6 up front and can "wallow" in certain situations, but if you have cheap tyres then this could be making it worse. I haven't experienced any such bounciness in my Aurion to be honest. You tend to feel the weight up front when cornering though having stock suspension and sway bars.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:47 AM, Henstepper said:

My initial thoughts were to doubt the mechanic's assessment. I would be more thinking about getting a suspension check done by a suspension shop e.g. Pedders to confirm the condition of the struts and what suspension parts e.g. bushings may need to be replaced. Quite possibly the lower control arm bushings may be quite worn or even broken.

The only bouncy feeling that I have experienced was going over speed bumps. After replacing the struts, the degree of bounce has reduced but not totally eliminated. Anyway, the struts needed to be replaced. Also experienced a fair bit of body roll when going fast though a local roundabout. Upgrading the rear anti-sway bar has made a noticable difference.

Yes Steve like my mates have already said Tyres could be an issue as well as the heavy front end the Aurion's have already, but it certainly sounds like struts and or possibly worn out or broken bushings. I would always get a second opinion before opening my wallet. I have never noticed any bounce in our Presara when it comes to normal driving and even speed humps have never been an issue. Like Ash said sometimes a bit of sway at roundabout's but nothing worth me paying out for a new rear bar yet.

Let us know what it finally is mate and even Pic's are always welcome as we love to see others cars

KAA

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. After taking my car into toyota 5 times...YES 5 TIMES, About this complaint It is in the shop again today as the bounce is unacceptable to me. I have let other people drive my car and they say the exact same thing that the car is bouncy yet toyota cant seem to find anything wrong. I went and bought new rims and tyres from bob jane. didn't make a difference to the driving. I am awaiting another call to tell me once more they cant find anything wrong 🙄

1 hour ago, Henstepper said:

Just an update on this. After taking my car into toyota 5 times...YES 5 TIMES, About this complaint It is in the shop again today as the bounce is unacceptable to me. I have let other people drive my car and they say the exact same thing that the car is bouncy yet toyota cant seem to find anything wrong. I went and bought new rims and tyres from bob jane. didn't make a difference to the driving. I am awaiting another call to tell me once more they cant find anything wrong 🙄

Mate, that really sucks. Sorry to say and I really feel for you Steve. The sensation you are feeling, is it like the car has no shocks and only springs then ? If so, then I am starting to form the opinion that the struts could be shot as has been mentioned despite the mechanics view. I am also shocked Toyota cannot put their finger on it either.

With only 140K on the clock, that would really be surprising, but anything is possible not knowing the history of the vehicle. My car is nearing 140K and I can honestly say that it still rides really firmly. 

Bounciness really implies that you have compromised dampening within the struts, otherwise I could keep scratching my head on this one. I'd need to drive it myself to be able to conclude an opinion.

I hope you get the answer you're looking for. We're all hoping the best outcome for you too.

Keep us posted mate.

OK as I guessed it toyota said they could find nothing wrong. they also did a fuel consumption test, Drove it 54km and for 1.48L fuel returned a fuel usage under 31 per 100km its considered normal?

Edited by Henstepper

29 minutes ago, Henstepper said:

OK as I guessed it toyota said they could find nothing wrong. they also did a fuel consumption test, Drove it 54km and for 1.48L fuel returned a fuel usage under 31 per 100km its considered normal?

How was that fuel usage measured?  What type of driving?  54km is also probably way too short of a drive to get any kind of accurate consumption measurement as individual variances (like coasting downhill or stopping at lights) will have too much of an effect on the total - need to go through at least half a tank (if not a full tank) to get a more indicative average.