High fuel consumption

I forget to mention my used 09 Aurion seems to be using a lot of fuel. I had a v6 commodore before this car and didnt go through fuel as quick. I know the aurion has a bigger engine and fuel tank but is it normal to fill it full and almost immediately see the guage drop driving down the road?

Edited by Henstepper

26 minutes ago, Henstepper said:

I forget to mention my used 09 Aurion seems to be using a lot of fuel. I had a v6 commodore before this car and didnt go through fuel as quick. I know the aurion has a bigger engine and fuel tank but is it normal to fill it full and almost immediately see the guage drop driving down the road?

Which engine did you have in the Commodore? Older 3.8, late 3.6 or 3.0 SIDI? I normally average around 13lt/100km if driving strictly short trips in the suburban area, down to around 11lt/100km if mixed fwy, urban roads on the weekend.

Maybe try resetting the ECU and getting it to re-learn your driving style. The ECU may have adapted to the previous owner's style of driving (which may have been aggressive) and/ or the type of fuel they were using. Doesn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor on the air intake as well - a gummed up unit makes a big difference on performance and economy. 

2 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I had a v6 commodore before this car and didnt go through fuel as quick. I know the aurion has a bigger engine

1 hour ago, Henstepper said:

It was the ecotec v6 3800

So the Aurion _doesn't_ have a bigger engine then...

Greetings Gents...

If I fill my 09' 40 series Presara to the brim, my fuel gauge dosent move until I've travelled 80 klms. That's freeway driving..city it moves from over full, after about 40 to 50 klms..I wonder if that guys fuel gauge is faulty ?

Bigmike.

Edited by Bigmike62

25 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Greetings Gents...

If I fill my 09' 40 series Presara to the brim, my fuel gauge dosent move until I've travelled 80 klms. That's freeway driving..city it moves from over full, after about 40 to 50 klms..I wonder if that guys fuel gauge is faulty ?

Bigmike.

It's typical across most cars. The floater which measures the fuel level in the tank only floats up the tank to a certain level, then you have more fuel which sits up the pipe closer to the filler hole, which would trickle down slowly as you drive before it finally reaches the floater to allow it to gradually move down the tank. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, the V6 in the Aurion will be very fuel efficient unless there is a problem. As mentioned, there are many variables than can affect economy, namely your right foot response. But to see your gauge actively dropping as you mentioned, then I'd say you could have a fuel system issue. Aurions are way better on fuel than any commodore or Falcon could ever be so don't be discouraged. I'd have it checked out before jumping to conclusions.

• Like 1