First Gen Kluger Shocks

cam6

I have a first generation Kluger (MCU 28).

I had the shocks replaced at 150,000 K.

The mechanic suggested KYB. I was happy with that. They have a good reputation for being a quality shock.

The cost was $1200 plus labour.

I wasn't happy with the end result. The ride was too stiffish around town for my liking, although to be fair, the car certainly handled a hell of a lot better. And on the highway, and when towing my boat, up or down the coast, it was noticeably more stable.

This should be seen in context. When I was a young bloke, I used to have my Holdens and Falcons stiffened up and lowed down to the ground. They rode like track cars and  I didn't mind at all.

But that was then, and now is now. I'm an old bloke in my 70s, and I like my comfort.

After 10,000 K’s I’d had enough. I took the Kluger back to the mechanic and complained. He drove the car and said "yes it is a bit stiff".

He got the rep from KYB out to look at the car. The rep said "yes it is a bit firm, but it's within parameters”.

He gave my mechanic softer rubber bushes to fit ,and KYB paid my mechanic to replace the bushes.

They made bugger all difference. And the mechanic agreed.

Checking the KYB site, they did say that they make their replacement shocks stiffer than original to allow for wear in the suspension of old cars.

So I told the mechanic to pull them off, and fit genuine Toyota shocks.

He did this. Cost for the shocks alone was $1359.60

These are noticeably more compliant than the KYB.

However, the ride is still not as smooth or compliant as original. But I guess, this is as good as it's going to get.

So now I have 4 KYB shocks for sale.

They’ve done 11,688 K’s. If you’re in the market for shocks you can have them for $400 (1/3 of the price). I live in Sutherland Shire.

My mechanic felt sorry for me, having spent so much money on the shocks, so he fitted the Toyota shocks for nothing. So I'll split the money with him.

If nobody wants them, I'll give them to him, and he said he'll put them in storage, in case a Kluger owner comes in and wants new shocks. He’ll be able to do a deal.

To be clear. If you're thinking about putting new shocks on your Kluger, and most of your driving is around town, don't think about these. Go down to Toyota and pay them their $1400.

However, if you do most of your driving up or down the highway/motorway, or tow a boat or caravan, a lot, these could be an economic way to replace your shocks.

Cheers John

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:03 PM, cam6 said:

So now I have 4 KYB shocks for sale.

They’ve done 11,688 K’s. If you’re in the market for shocks you can have them for $400 (1/3 of the price). I live in Sutherland Shire.

My mechanic felt sorry for me, having spent so much money on the shocks, so he fitted the Toyota shocks for nothing. So I'll split the money with him.

If nobody wants them, I'll give them to him, and he said he'll put them in storage, in case a Kluger owner comes in and wants new shocks. He’ll be able to do a deal.

You have outlayed a fair bit for your comfort. I would be inclined to place an advertisement in Gumtree and see whether you have an interested genuine cash buyer.

If you are caught up in the current lockdown of the Greater Sydney Area, then it may be worthwhile putting this matter on hold. 

Thanks Ashley. Yes you're right. If nobody is interested I'll put it on gumtree. Since I'm a member here I just  naturally thought of putting it on here to see if anybody was interested. And yes I'm in the Greater Sydney Area and so I'm part of the lockdown. Fortunately not in the Hot area. Still if it ( the shock's sale ) drags on for a while, it doesn't really matter. I'm in no great hurry. Cheers John