How fast have you had your Aurion?

Henstepper

Ok let's be honest, what speed have you had your aurion up to? Coming from a v6 commodore this is my first toyota car so to compare the speed I was cruising a long the highway, No cameras great i planted my foot and got it up to 160. What an experience lol. Shes not as quick off the mark as my old commodore but when she gets going shes got a lot of power. Its very close to even. i think the main difference is the commodore was rear wheel drive and this ones front wheel

4 hours ago, Henstepper said:

Ok let's be honest, what speed have you had your aurion up to? Coming from a v6 commodore this is my first toyota car so to compare the speed I was cruising a long the highway, No cameras great i planted my foot and got it up to 160. What an experience lol. Shes not as quick off the mark as my old commodore but when she gets going shes got a lot of power. Its very close to even. i think the main difference is the commodore was rear wheel drive and this ones front wheel

My Aurion is my 1st 6 cylinder vehicle and has more than met my expectations for overtaking on the open highway. When overtaking a semi-trailer, I plant the foot once I have a clear view and taking the foot off the accelerator when beside the semi's front bullbar. Fast enough for a quick safe overtake thus reducing the time in the danger zone of being in the lane for oncoming traffic.

What I have noticed is that the transmission drops down a few gears and the engine revs are in the range for ongoing increased torque output. 

Taking into account my increased age [both me and the Aurion], acknowledged level of driving experience [or lack thereof] and a strong self preservation attitude, 160kph is a nice enough limit.  

I've had the odd opportunity when entering a freeway, with very sp**** traffic and giving it some beans. I was amazed at how quickly and willingly it pulled to 160 Km/hr. Wifey had to intervene of course. 😜

I have no doubt it will do over 200. Perhaps 220 or even 240 is not unlikely for a 300 HP vehicle.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bens101x said:

210kms

Naughty. 🤐  Hopefully that was just a mad moment and you are over it. Presumably, you had set up/maintained your Aurion for those high speeds to minimise any risk of failure e.g. blown tyre.

Just saying that ANCAP crash ratings are based upon 60kph. As speed increases to 80kph and 100kph, risk of death and injury rises exponentially.

What I will say is that I have been a passenger in a work colleague's HSV when he gunned it up to that speed. Too scary and risky for me. I have got better things to do with my body than to be a crash dummy. I have not been back in his vehicle and for other reasons, no longer associated with him. 

No it wasn't that long ago I knew the long stretch off road well from when I was a interstate truck driver so you get to know the rd yeah I just did it 

Been alot faster in the VF I owned 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bens101x said:

No it wasn't that long ago I knew the long stretch off road well from when I was a interstate truck driver so you get to know the rd yeah I just did it 

Been alot faster in the VF I owned 

Knowing the road very well is a big factor between a calculated risk and something else.

I am driving very defensively these days. Only calculated risk I take these days is verbally teasing females after I have checked the available exit options.

4 hours ago, Bens101x said:

210kms

I know it can be exciting to go fast, we were all young once and it only just seems like yesterday, but with the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't risk any high speed activity these days for many reasons. The chief reason is safety. I'm sure you get it, but let me explain simple physics. If you hit head on at 100 km/hr, you will die. Pure and simple. It's not the impact that will kill you, it's the G force. People have been known to die at even lower speeds.

Have a read of this 

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/car-crash-force#how-to-calculate-impact-force-g-force-in-car-crashes

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Naughty. 🤐  Hopefully that was just a mad moment and you are over it. Presumably, you had set up/maintained your Aurion for those high speeds to minimise any risk of failure e.g. blown tyre.

Just saying that ANCAP crash ratings are based upon 60kph. As speed increases to 80kph and 100kph, risk of death and injury rises exponentially.

Words of wisdom here for you Ben. We would hate for anything to happen to you on the road, so please be careful and don't take risks with your life and potentially that of others.

If you like that kind of thing, then you should do it in a controlled environment such as a drag way. The street isn't the place for it mate. I say that with all sincerity too, not to have a dig at you either. We just care that's all.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1