D4D fuel economy

Gussy

I have a 2011 automatic hilux sr with 200000km on the clock. It has a long range fuel tank making the total fuel 145L. However I only get around 800km from one tank (and that’s being generous) that works out to be about 18L/100km!! Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas for me as it’s becoming a costly exersize to go anywhere. I have a fair bit of weight on the vehicle (steel tray with canopy and drawers plus tools, arb bull bar with side rails, winch, the long range tank, bf Goodrich at tyres) but I still find this to be ridiculous. It used to go into limp mode all the time whenever it was working hard. Turned out the intake manifold was all carbonned up so I had it cleaned, had a catch can put in and blanked the egr. And it still did it once after that process but hasn’t done it again since. I don’t believe this has anything to do with it because it was shocking before all that anyway. I was getting around 900km per tank before that and that was with no tray or weight in the back. Just an empty tub. Still ridiculous to me. 
Any idea would be seriously great! 
Cheers guys and girls 👍🏿

Might get your injector values checked out , Injectors may be in need of replacement   ,Bout $480 ea  .And get rid of the catch can

Edited by Bigpete
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bigpete said:

Bout $480 ea

Their getting as bad as German manufacturers, probably even worse for prices.

55 minutes ago, Bigpete said:

And get rid of the catch can

Can I ask why ?

I wouldn't, especially on the diesel. It just needs to be sized and installed correctly and be regularly maintained that's all.

• Thanks 1

Way i see it a catch can collects maybe 100ml between service ,if youve got a plate with a 7mm hole you still get a certain amount of hot raw abrasive carbon passing through a bit of misty oil collects that stopping it going back to the inlet ,Ive just done injectors no1 cacked itself, pulled the EGR off ,wiped a fine layer of collected carbon/oil mix ive got a plate no, catch can thats after 85k of driving do around 40k odd  per year and if nothing at all it acts as a upper cyl lubricant  so catch cans in my eyes are a waste of$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah true, sounds expensive. Already spent a tonne on this damn thing. But I suppose it has to be done. Can mechanics run tests and things like that to know for sure if the injectors are buggered?

I suppose my other question is can a catch can and blocking the egr cause for higher fuel consumption too? And the catch cans already there. Shouldn’t I just leave it now? 

Cheers for the help by the way guys. I clearly know nothing about cars ✌🏿

Hi Yes a mechanic with diagnostis  gear can read the values of injectors ,lots of sensors ,fuel pressures ,actual and target press  ,check SCV valve can be at fault . And yes get rid of the catch can  

On 8/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, Bigpete said:

if youve got a plate with a 7mm hole you still get a certain amount of hot raw abrasive carbon passing through a bit of misty oil collects that stopping it going back to the inlet

I'm no expert when it comes to diesels or catch cans, but I'd like to just add that the better quality catch cans have filters in them so the possibility of abrasive carbon cannot enter the return air stream no ?

6 hours ago, Bigpete said:

A filter would be good but thats not what they want with EGR   Id like to remove the whole thing and chuck it in the bin

I respect your opinion Big Pete. I've had no experience with catch cans so I can't speak with certainty, only from what I've read and seen on youtube. Some advocate for it and some, like yourself, don't. 

Berrima Diesel would be spitting chips right about now 🤣