Resonator delete vs hotdog resonator?

Jay1

Is the resonator delete louder compared to a hotdog resonator, or is it just raspier? Looking to make my system louder but not sure whether hotdogs are worth it compared to a resonator delete. 

I was waiting for Metal_Head to respond as he has direct experience with making recent exhaust changes. Suggest that you search the Forum for his posts.

If you want your exhaust system to sound louder, can I suggest that you do a rear muffler delete. Good way to test this out before parting with $$$ at the exhaust shop, is to temporarily disconnect the rear mufflers. There are a few YouTube videos for the Aurion or Camry V6 [in the USA] that you can view beforehand to get some idea of what to expect.

I would suggest leaving the resonator alone as its function is to reduce exhaust drone. Another suggestion is that if you proceed with the rear muffler delete is that you keep in storage the removed mufflers. This will be handy if you want to revert back particularly if you attract some unwanted Police attention and get given a defect notice or an invitation to go for a machinery inspection.

• Like 1

Heyo,

I have essentially done a muffler delete on my Aurion. The mufflers are still physically attached to the vehicle (so it looks legitimate), however, before the rear Y-pipe in the exhaust, my exhaust dumps facing down onto the road. It gives it the familiar V6 groans that Commodores have. It doesn't sound amazing, but I'm happy for it to be louder. That also being said, I have left the resonator pipe (the more larger diameter pipe) in, for drone purposes. I did however do a 3rd cat delete, and I did hear the faintest noise difference before the muffler delete. The exhaust technician that was working with me on the muffler delete did say that by removing that resonator the car will drone badly, and it won't be much 'louder' anyway. Just that the drone would be worse.

My car does drone as is. Anyone with a muffler deleted Aurio can attest to that. It's not as bad a commodore or 4cyl muffler delete drone however. I mostly hear the drone when on the Bruce HWY going up hills at 110km/h. While the little amount of drone there is doesn't bother me, I don't think I would be looking to delete that resonator-ish pipe. I don't know if it's much of a resonator anyway. I had two exhaust technicians (from different places) say there's no traditional resonator on Aurions. Just a larger diameter pipe around the existing one to minimise drone and exhaust noises in the cab. Whether or not they were wrong I'm not sure.

I only speak as someone who's got a muffler delete (dumping the exhaust at the rear Y pipe, not straight piped to the tail of the car) and a 3rd cat delete. The louder and more 'bogan'* (*depending on your standards) the car is, the more attention you get from the police. I always make sure to (tiptronic) kick up a gear and do low revs past police to avoid any attention. Depends on your driving and where you live I suppose.

Also I just read @campbeam's^ post

Another suggestion is that if you proceed with the rear muffler delete is that you keep in storage the removed mufflers. This will be handy if you want to revert back particularly if you attract some unwanted Police attention and get given a defect notice or an invitation to go for a machinery inspection.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is another reason I wanted to keep the mufflers and not get them gauged out. So if I ever do get police attention I can just cut the corner pipe weld and weld my y-pipe back onto the main exhaust pipe.

• Thanks 2

Wow thanks to everyone who replied and took their time to explain it in so much detail. However my current system is an axle back with a straight through muffler, not a muffler delete, so the effect of a resonator delete might not be the same as for you guys. But your feedback is still very useful. 

another question i have is that the sound of the exhaust comes back to almost stock at high rpms which i find weird. Is it the axle back pipe being larger that the rest of the pipe? Im not sure how big the pipes are from the 3rd cat but the exhaust shop did install 2.5 inch pipe after the y split. Any ideas?

Sounds like the rear mufflers u had fitted are too quiet. In that case get the centre resonator removed & replace 3rd cat with a cheap 100cpsi version. 

Doing this will let a bit more white noise though, creating a throaty burble.

Edited by L4WL3SS

On 9/18/2021 at 8:56 AM, Metal_Head said:

Sounds like the rear mufflers u had fitted are too quiet. In that case get the centre resonator removed & replace 3rd cat with a cheap 100cpsi version. 

Doing this will let a bit more white noise though, creating a throaty burble

You could go a step further and just delete the 3rd cat? Depending on how bogan you are though that is. I removed it and I felt some difference in the car, and heard the most minute difference, but only because I (at the time) had original mufflers still on it. She doesn't gurgle much even without the 3rd cat...unless I hold some high revs and drop it or drop down a gear pretty roughly. Would love to put some o2 spacers in the front cat areas and delete them altogether (on a track car) just to hear the difference. haha