CAN YOU TUNE A STOCK ECU (Corolla sportivo)

I have read about this a little bit and the general consensus is no. Stock ECU's are difficult to play with and the suggestion would be to get a standalone ECU such as Haltech.

Jeffy, our Moderator here has good knowledge in this dept and hopefully will chime in.

Short answer, no. Unlike some overseas variants which are able to reflashed such as the Corolla XRS, Sportivo's aren't able to be reflashed or tuned.

There a few known ECU's that work, you can use a Greddy V-Manage and E-Manage together which basically gives all of the options a standalone ECU will, albeit they're quite out dated.

I personally ran a V-Manage for a few years before moving onto an Adaptronic E420D which is a lot newer and has all of the features plus a whole lot more over an E and V Manage combo. 

Other known ECU's that people use are the Apexi Power FC (2ZZ Celica unit) with an adaptor harness, which is proven and works but super out dated even compared to a Greddy Combo. AEM, Link, Haltech and Adaptronic all work after a working out the wiring as a standalone ECU.

The Adaptronic I'm running is wired in as a piggyback unit so I still retain the stock ECU and have all my accessories and cluster working with no issues albeit, the temperature gauge is off which a fix has since being found by my mate who tuned my car and I have a check engine light due to the fact I'm running a different O2 and Lamda setup so the stock ECU does this as it can't read that sensor anymore. Another benefit of this unit is that I no longer need the MAF sensor as I'm running a MAP sensor now which is nice bonus for running less restrictive intake setups.

If you're really keen on going down the route of tuning a 2ZZ, it's best you search the web for these units and choose which one fits your intended build outcome in terms of tunability, pricing etc.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squalled said:

Another benefit of this unit is that I no longer need the MAF sensor as I'm running a MAP sensor now which is nice bonus for running less restrictive intake setups.

Can't remember if I've asked you this before or not, but what MAP sensor setup did you end up going with?

22 hours ago, Squalled said:

The MAP sensor is a built in one in the E420D unit 🙂 

I'm still debating whether I'll use the onboard one on the E440D, does make the intake design easier but I'm kinda averse to running a vacuum line through the firewall (just because of length and possibility of vac leaks etc).

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

I'm still debating whether I'll use the onboard one on the E440D, does make the intake design easier but I'm kinda averse to running a vacuum line through the firewall (just because of length and possibility of vac leaks etc).

Haven't had any issues so far, neither has Adam who has run the Adaptronic setup for quite a bit longer than I have. I mean if I do have issues, I can always change it since it's running the simplest setup for the MAP.