Strong petrol smell fills car when going fast

Henstepper

I was being tailgated by this moron and as we get to the lights he dips into the lane besides me. We were the first cars off the mark and it merges into 1 lane after the lights. I thought I would teach the knucklehead a lesson. Lights go green and I'm gone. Reckless driving aside i got my car up to 80 pretty quick but then my car was engulfed with a strong petrol smell. This doesnt usually happen when im driving on the highway or around town. Only seems to happen when i quick accelerate. What would be the reason for this?

My normal operating procedure is to give them an opportunity to overtake so they can speed away and meet their deserved Karma. Certainly hope that tailgater got your message to stop messing around with you. 

Based upon what you are reporting, check for exhaust gas leak because you could be smelling the unburnt fuel when accelerating hard. It should also be easy to check the spark plugs in the bank closest to the front of the car. 

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/What-Causes-The-Smell-Of-Gas-Inside-A-Car 

We had a petrol smell going through our Aurion.  The dealership went straight for the fuel filter under the back seat and found nothing there or anywhere else either.
We still had the petrol smell ...
A few days later I took the petrol cap off and checked the seals and noticed some small deposits of dirt/mud/gunk around the seal on the filler inlet.  Looks like it may have been some mud that got on the bowser nozzle from a previous mud truck fill up?   Anyway, cleaned it off and also the cap seal and no more petrol smell.
I hope yours is an easy fix like mine was...

3 hours ago, 11/16Aurion 12Kluger said:

A few days later I took the petrol cap off and checked the seals and noticed some small deposits of dirt/mud/gunk around the seal on the filler inlet.  Looks like it may have been some mud that got on the bowser nozzle from a previous mud truck fill up?   Anyway, cleaned it off and also the cap seal and no more petrol smell.

It's an area that is largely neglected, so I always make an effort when filling up to have some paper towel ready after filling up and like wipe the outer edge of the filler neck and threads before putting the cap back on. That's just my OCD. 😜

Another good idea is to inspect the cap gasket for any cracks or wear. This can also lead to an escape of fuel vapor and cause unusual idling due to loss of fuel pressure. I think it may also trigger a check engine light in the worst case scenario.

• Like 1