2004 Avalon

Michael Ward

8 hours ago, Michael Ward said:

We have a 2004 Toyota Avalon for sale. Only 25,000 km and kept in a garage the whole time - in perfect condition. Any advice on what it’s worth? 

No offence, but i'd be more worried about buildup from short trips by the sounds of it. What trim level is it ?, any notable options ?, etc

But it's hard to come by low km Avalons. Service'em and they'll go forever. Just old Toyota 6's just give little issue. Give me an MZ over a GR anyday. Power aside i just prefer the linear delivery in how they produce power/torque. 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Michael Ward said:

We have a 2004 Toyota Avalon for sale. Only 25,000 km and kept in a garage the whole time - in perfect condition. Any advice on what it’s worth? 

Wow. What a Time Capsule. Hard to say as the Avalon wasn't a popular car really, but there is a small cult following for the Avalon. Unfortunately it couldn't compete on sales with Falcon or Commodore. Maybe it's a bogan thing.. I don't mind it myself as my Dad used to have a VX model before upgrading to the Aurion 50. It was a rocket ship as I recall. Smooth, linear power delivery with loads of torque and very comfortable. Very well maintained too. His local mechanic took his money AND his wallet. I preside over the servicing of his Aurion now and he gets to keep his money too.

Take a look on carsales and get a feel of what the market is offering. Do you have an amount in mind ? What trim level is it ?? If it's top of the range it could be worth significantly more than the lower trim vehicles. Can you post up some pics for us ? We'd love to see it.

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow. What a Time Capsule. Hard to say as the Avalon wasn't a popular car really, but there is a small cult following for the Avalon. Unfortunately it couldn't compete on sales with Falcon or Commodore. Maybe it's a bogan thing.. I don't mind it myself as my Dad used to have a VX model before upgrading to the Aurion 50. It was a rocket ship as I recall. Smooth, linear power delivery with loads of torque and very comfortable. Very well maintained too. His local mechanic took his money AND his wallet. I preside over the servicing of his Aurion now and he gets to keep his money too.

Take a look on carsales and get a feel of what the market is offering. Do you have an amount in mind ? What trim level is it ?? If it's top of the range it could be worth significantly more than the lower trim vehicles. Can you post up some pics for us ? We'd love to see it.

My thoughts exactly haha !

Of course his former mechanic took his wallet lol. One thing about mine is he knows i'll tell him what for if he tried anything 😂😂😂

• 1 month later...

Can confirm I'd be worried about sludge build-up. 

What trim level?

I would have been very interested a few weeks ago, but I'd be getting a mechanic to go over it and check for any sludge build up in the engine - they'll be someone out there who appreciates it. 

If it's the base model GXI - Maybe 9k if you're lucky. 

If it's the highest trim model (leather, sunroof, woodgrain) then 10k would be reasonable I think.

I picked up a 127,000k 2004 Avalon for $6k recently with a RWC  - needed hardly anything done to it bar a new headliner and trans fluid flush and service, and the standard oil change.
This was a base model GXI, and purchased form a dealership.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, Toyollac said:

Can confirm I'd be worried about sludge build-up. 

What trim level?

I would have been very interested a few weeks ago, but I'd be getting a mechanic to go over it and check for any sludge build up in the engine - they'll be someone out there who appreciates it. 

If it's the base model GXI - Maybe 9k if you're lucky. 

If it's the highest trim model (leather, sunroof, woodgrain) then 10k would be reasonable I think.

I picked up a 127,000k 2004 Avalon for $6k recently with a RWC  - needed hardly anything done to it bar a new headliner and trans fluid flush and service, and the standard oil change.
This was a base model GXI, and purchased form a dealership.

Oh definitely plenty people would appreciate them, i for one really do like driving it long distance more than my G6E for one big reason, the seat base cushion is longer, thus my legs don't get fatigued (i'm roughly 6ft1), so after a long drive my legs can feel a little flat, if i've driven my G6E.

Best thing is they have kick ***** air con too regardless of trim level, mine sits around the 2°C (at the vents) before the compressor kicks off.

You do also get some top spec level exclusives you don't find on the VXi (mid spec) or even GXi (base). And believe me i hope i never have to replace'em haha !

A serviced 1MZ-FE is a sweet engine. Mines got 255k almost & i've had no issues with it at all. Replacing sensors, etc is all maintenance. Stick to the 7500km interval & i can almost bet you'll never have major issues. I fitted a catch can to my G6E recently (baffled setup) & boy am i suprised at how much s**t isn't going back through into my intake then my engine. Even freshly serviced 1500km ago there's a nice build up at the bottom of the can, i would reccomend it to anyone with a petrol engine. Very easy to service/maintain too !

I'm fitting one to my Toyota next service. When i get some photos i'll happily share my tidy setup i have on my FG currently.

I over maintain my cars, but hey.... look at how clean/quiet they are by comparison 😁

How it should be. 

Just took my Avalon to have the headliner trimmed...

Got my car back, and here is a list of issues:

1. Key only locks drivers door
2. Keyfob doesn't work
3. None of the interior lights work
4. In-dash clock doesn't work
5. None of the door controls work, including door switches.

I don't know what these **** retards have done, but they've totally ****** my car.

They also did a terrible job at refitting the trim on the drivers side panel. 

1 or 2 fuses missing, I think they've ****** up some wiring, goddamn I hope it wasn't done on purpose, but if it was...

8 hours ago, Toyollac said:

How it should be. 

2. Keyfob doesn't work

I don't know what these **** retards have done, but they've totally ****** my car.

1 or 2 fuses missing, I think they've ****** up some wiring, goddamn I hope it wasn't done on purpose, but if it was...

Jesus, i'm sorry to hear you had someone botch a big expense. Especially re-doing a headlining. They've probably nicked a wire which could be shorting to ground thus blowing the fuse to protect the electrical system. There's also a fuse box hidden in behind the drivers kick panel where you'll find more things to do with locks, etc.

This is why i only go to trimmers my mechanics have personally dealt with, because he's even more anal than i am.

13 hours ago, Toyollac said:

How it should be. 

2. Keyfob doesn't work

I can understand people making mistakes. This can be rectified, but the biggest crime was letting the car leave the shop in that condition.

I look forward to the update. Hope you get it sorted mate.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Turns out it was a burnt-out fuse, so yes, it'd be logical to assume they messed some wiring while doing the re-trim.  I also noted that the drivers side interior pillar housing was not installed correctly, and was very loose.  

I read on some other forms there is some kind of wiring and switch in there, and maybe they knocked it about?  That is my guess, as the passenger side pillar had no issues being attached at all.

Some people are just scum - what can you do... really grinds my gears.

Makes you want to do some questionable acts.  Someone is working for that money, paying you for a service, you essentially **** up the car and don't tell the customer, not to mention the job wasn't completed correctly (drivers side pillar as above), doing and botchy job and sending it away makes me sick.

Can't rely on google reviews ladies and gentleman!

8 hours ago, Toyollac said:

I read on some other forms there is some kind of wiring and switch in there, and maybe they knocked it about?  That is my guess, as the passenger side pillar had no issues being attached at all.

The best wiring diagrams are the ones you can get a hold of through some scan tools, a good toyota dealer will help you out, etc

I wouldn't trust a Haynes if you paid me. The only ones reputable are genuine ones, good luck finding one though.

• 2 weeks later...

@Toyollac Hey interesting question... what's your average overall fuel economy in your Avalon at the moment ?

Hope you've had the issue rectified. I'm not looking forward to next weekend sadly 😂😂

I certainly have!  I checked the fuses again, one was burnt out, replaced it and it was all fixed.  Don't know what they did to short it, but it hasn't shorted again since which is good.  

I think it's around the 11-12L per 100ks?  Yourself?

31 minutes ago, Toyollac said:

I think it's around the 11-12L per 100ks?  Yourself?

I'm averaging about 8.8L p/100km

Especially better since i replaced the O2 sensors my fuel economy improved, i'm not exactly light footed either by any means.

33 minutes ago, Toyollac said:

I certainly have!  I checked the fuses again, one was burnt out, replaced it and it was all fixed.  Don't know what they did to short it, but it hasn't shorted again since which is good.  

What fuse was it ?, if you looked at the diagram.

20211130_020028.jpg

@Toyollac

Compared to my average fuel economy in my G6E though it's impressive. I hate the ridiculously long 2.73 final drive in my Falcon compared to my Toyota's not so highway friendly 3.93 final drive haha !

I honestly reckon 3.07's or 3.23's would improve fuel economy & performance across the range, even with the ZF 6HP26 in my G6E haha !

20211113_121724.jpg