Jump to content

Post COVID-19 Lockdown Trips


Recommended Posts

Come easing of these constant erratic lockdowns in Australia. When we're allowed to travel around the state, where do you all plan on going ?.

 

And what car will you be taking ?

 

I've hardly been able to drive my Toyota at the moment due to 2 small issues i'm getting rectified. 

 

Keep safe everyone !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Honestly, no where special I'm just really keen to go to some national parks, up towards to mountains and maybe some beaches. I've been dying to go back to the royal national park for some time now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Squalled said:

Honestly, no where special I'm just really keen to go to some national parks, up towards to mountains and maybe some beaches. I've been dying to go back to the royal national park for some time now.

Royal national park huh ?, i've been keen to take my Yota up the black spur since i had all the suspension work done recently, haven't been able to really test it. Up Mount Dandenong, etc. Beautiful drives 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My M3 needs a good stretch of its legs. The battery is starting to protest despite it being on a C-Tek trickle. Mind you, I've had that same batteyr in it for over 8 years.  I was able to swing by where it's stored over the weekend and it struggled to start. It's most likely due for a replacement. Got it going and it ran fine for a while until it started idling a bit funny, I figured low fuel pressure as the low fuel warning light has been on for many months during the times It gets its occasional star up. It's practically out of fuel and don't worry, there is no contamination or dirt in the tank that the pump will pull. I have flushed and drained the tank prior to replacing the delivery unit when the pump failed, including the fuel lines and replacing the fuel filter. She is tip top !

Just need to remember to bring a 20L of premium unleaded to it, top it up then give it a wash and a good spirited run. Hopefully soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I figured low fuel pressure as the low fuel warning light has been on for many months during the times It gets its occasional star up. It's practically out of fuel

You should know better particularly if the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. 8 years is a good run for that battery. You would have a good idea of how well the battery is holding its charge. SuperCheap Auto and others will have batteries on discount in the next few months especially for Xmas, Boxing Day and Australia Day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

My M3 needs a good stretch of its legs. The battery is starting to protest despite it being on a C-Tek trickle. Mind you, I've had that same batteyr in it for over 8 years.  I was able to swing by where it's stored over the weekend and it struggled to start. It's most likely due for a replacement. Got it going and it ran fine for a while until it started idling a bit funny, I figured low fuel pressure as the low fuel warning light has been on for many months during the times It gets its occasional star up. It's practically out of fuel and don't worry, there is no contamination or dirt in the tank that the pump will pull. I have flushed and drained the tank prior to replacing the delivery unit when the pump failed, including the fuel lines and replacing the fuel filter. She is tip top !

Just need to remember to bring a 20L of premium unleaded to it, top it up then give it a wash and a good spirited run. Hopefully soon.

Hopefully soon.... i bet you miss your M3

That 20L won't last long 😉

 

Oh ?, priced a replacement unit ?

My Yota's giving me grief with the fuel filter at the moment, so i feel you haha !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TommyM said:

Hopefully soon.... i bet you miss your M3

That 20L won't last long 😉

I do, very much. It is very exciting to drive and you'd be surprised how economical it is for a high performance engine. The S50B32 is masterpiece of engineering. 

9 hours ago, TommyM said:

Oh ?, priced a replacement unit ?

For which ? Battery or fuel delivery unit ? I will say this though, me being OEM anal with the ///M car, I had to have the original delivery unit and it became obselete right about the same time I needed one and luckily enough Pelican Parts were able to source one for me Ex-Germany from the remaining stock. It's a combination sender/fuel pump assembly. I also replaced the rubber seal and locking ring for OEM continuity. It's a funny set up. It has two sender units, one sender unit on the left side of the tank and the sender/pump assy on the right.

I think I'll have to look into getting another battery too. 8 plus years is a pretty good innings and not sure if it will just simply die and refuse to accept a charge soon or what. I can't remember the specs of it at the moment, but it's a large boot mounted lug. I'll need to dig up a photo. I know I have one somewhere.

This is a stock photo. Note the recessed posts.

 

E36 Battery.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

You should know better particularly if the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank.

I know Ash, my bad 🤪

 I didn't realise it was that low, despite the fuel warning light being on and for the time I start it and run it, it is only for around 10 or less minutes anyway so I figured it couldn't hurt the fuel pump for that duration. It doesn't get started all that often for many obvious factors, but having it on a trickle charge means I don't have to always turn it over. I will redeem myself on the next available opportunity :thumbsup:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

For which ? Battery or fuel delivery unit ? I will say this though, me being OEM anal with the ///M car, I had to have the original delivery unit and it became obselete right about the same time I needed one and luckily enough Pelican Parts were able to source one for me Ex-Germany from the remaining stock. It's a combination sender/fuel pump assembly. I also replaced the rubber seal and locking ring for OEM continuity. It's a funny set up. It has two sender units, one sender unit on the left side of the tank and the sender/pump assy on the right.

Both lol

How many retainers hold each part in ?, a bunch of screws, plus a lock ring & more fasteners i reckon 😂😂😂

 

I learnt the hard way from not using genuine parts at times. You wouldn't think an intank filter would be such a c**t though. Until your own Toyota screws you over 😂

Edited by TommyM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TommyM said:

Both lol

How many retainers hold each part in ?, a bunch of screws, plus a lock ring & more fasteners i reckon 😂😂😂

 

I learnt the hard way from not using genuine parts at times. You wouldn't think an intank filter would be such a c**t though. Until your own Toyota screws you over 😂

I haven't priced the the battery yet, but I guess it will more than what it cost all those years ago, with the current crazy that's going on. Still have to dig up the correct spec for it. I cannot remember for the life of me. The battery location is quite well thought out too. It sits nicely tucked in on the right corner under a storage tray. Pop it off and there it is. The battery has lift handles to make it easier to get out.

Fitment for the BMW delivery unit isn't all that much different from the Toyota. There is a metal cover which you have to remove, of course, and then you're suppose to tap a plastic locking ring off in an anti clockwise manner with a hammer and a blunt chisel, but I wasn't having that. Not only did I get a new delivery unit, I also purchased two new locking rings, rubber seal AND the special tool that helps remove and replace the ring sunggly. ECS Tuning were able to provide the special tool. Even If I got to use it once, it's good knowing that job was done to the factory standard. I need counselling I know 🤪

20200215_105333.thumb.jpg.d6e3287b344ad86bec0630bdfe8d4534.jpg

20200215_105342.thumb.jpg.dbcab75f4ced34e0161e602d6d405763.jpg

20200215_105447.thumb.jpg.c88e98b2751c1b5e3080b28b26d46cb9.jpg

20200215_105023.thumb.jpg.5dc9e95b5218a877cec9ade7723062aa.jpg

20200215_105651.thumb.jpg.adee963acfd8c2fb2a520303955380c4.jpg

 

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

ECS Tuning were able to provide the special tool. Even If I got to use it once, it's good knowing that job was done to the factory standard. I need counselling I know 🤪

Counselling, what counselling?😁  Actually I find your acknowledged OCD quite inspiring which nicely offsets my tendencies to use quick workarounds. Better to do the job once and do it right then have to come back and do it all again. Also having the right specialised tools makes tasks so much easier and enjoyable instead of being a time wasting frustrating exercise. Good quality tools are worth the $$$.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I haven't priced the the battery yet, but I guess it will more than what it cost all those years ago, with the current crazy that's going on. Still have to dig up the correct spec for it. I cannot remember for the life of me. The battery location is quite well thought out too. It sits nicely tucked in on the right corner under a storage tray. Pop it off and there it is. The battery has lift handles to make it easier to get out.

Fitment for the BMW delivery unit isn't all that much different from the Toyota. There is a metal cover which you have to remove, of course, and then you're suppose to tap a plastic locking ring off in an anti clockwise manner with a hammer and a blunt chisel, but I wasn't having that. Not only did I get a new delivery unit, I also purchased two new locking rings, rubber seal AND the special tool that helps remove and replace the ring sunggly. ECS Tuning were able to provide the special tool. Even If I got to use it once, it's good knowing that job was done to the factory standard. I need counselling I know 🤪

20200215_105333.thumb.jpg.d6e3287b344ad86bec0630bdfe8d4534.jpg

20200215_105342.thumb.jpg.dbcab75f4ced34e0161e602d6d405763.jpg

20200215_105447.thumb.jpg.c88e98b2751c1b5e3080b28b26d46cb9.jpg

20200215_105023.thumb.jpg.5dc9e95b5218a877cec9ade7723062aa.jpg

20200215_105651.thumb.jpg.adee963acfd8c2fb2a520303955380c4.jpg

 

See, you're lucky prick lol. A simple retainer & sender unit setup. Meanwhile toyota thought overkill & affixes the Avalon fuel assembly (pump, dampner, filter, sock strainer, etc) all together. But it's a metal fuel tank, so it's got a seal, followed by the assembly aligning up correctly followed by 10 little f**king bolts which are a pain in the *****. Oh yeah, plus the metal retainer plate.

 

Gotta love returnless fuel systems though. One line out, idiot proof lol. Get me a battery number & i'll cross it over to a Century AGM or something super heavy duty, car wise that is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Counselling, what counselling?😁  Actually I find your acknowledged OCD quite inspiring which nicely offsets my tendencies to use quick workarounds. Better to do the job once and do it right then have to come back and do it all again. Also having the right specialised tools makes tasks so much easier and enjoyable instead of being a time wasting frustrating exercise. Good quality tools are worth the $$$.

My thoughts exactly !

He's a wizard harry 🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TommyM said:

See, you're lucky prick lol. A simple retainer & sender unit setup. Meanwhile toyota thought overkill & affixes the Avalon fuel assembly (pump, dampner, filter, sock strainer, etc) all together. But it's a metal fuel tank, so it's got a seal, followed by the assembly aligning up correctly followed by 10 little f**king bolts which are a pain in the *****. Oh yeah, plus the metal retainer plate.

Haha yeah. I may be lucky, but very sparingly these days lol.

10 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Get me a battery number & i'll cross it over to a Century AGM or something super heavy duty, car wise that is.

 

Cheers for that Tommy. I have a photo on my home PC somewhere. I'll dig it up and let you know soon mate. :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, TommyM said:

Come easing of these constant erratic lockdowns in Australia. When we're allowed to travel around the state, where do you all plan on going ?.

 

And what car will you be taking ?

Considering I've been working flat-out for the last 18 months (WFH has made things run slower but no reduction in demand, but I would definitely prefer it to the unfortunate scenario that has befallen many others), very little progress has happened on the ZZE102 conversion which means any post-Freedom Day trips will either be in my loaner '04 Mazda2 (most practical daily econobox ever made but not designed for road trips or fun) or the wife's '18 ZRE182 (some modicum of fun at least).

Still probably 6-9 months away from getting the replacement daily for me, which I have stipulated must be a fun drive (at this stage most likely an IS200, unless my white whale GS460 appears so I can finally put the V8 ownership notch on my wall)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Haha yeah. I may be lucky, but very sparingly these days lol.

HAHAHA !

C'mon, give yourself credit. What are you up to today ?

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Cheers for that Tommy. I have a photo on my home PC somewhere. I'll dig it up and let you know soon mate. :thumbsup:

It's all good man, i could really quite easily look on our system for the recommendations anyway if you give me the deets.

Reg or make/model/year. Shouldn't be difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hiro said:

Considering I've been working flat-out for the last 18 months (WFH has made things run slower but no reduction in demand, but I would definitely prefer it to the unfortunate scenario that has befallen many others), very little progress has happened on the ZZE102 conversion which means any post-Freedom Day trips will either be in my loaner '04 Mazda2 (most practical daily econobox ever made but not designed for road trips or fun) or the wife's '18 ZRE182 (some modicum of fun at least).

Still probably 6-9 months away from getting the replacement daily for me, which I have stipulated must be a fun drive (at this stage most likely an IS200, unless my white whale GS460 appears so I can finally put the V8 ownership notch on my wall)

How are you holding up ?, working from home that is. I'm over doing this stupid click & collect bs for the most puney part. Atleast what we're doing in vic. An 04' Mazda 2 is hardly a touring car lol. The IS200's aren't a bad car, GS460 will be fun !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TommyM said:

How are you holding up ?, working from home that is. I'm over doing this stupid click & collect bs for the most puney part. Atleast what we're doing in vic. An 04' Mazda 2 is hardly a touring car lol. The IS200's aren't a bad car, GS460 will be fun !

 

I started going back in to the office 2-3 days a week back in March (just needed a change of scenery after we hit 12 months of full WFH) but that obviously ended at the start of the most recent NSW lockdown, although despite that I did spend 3 solid weeks during lockdown last month on-site as supporting the dealer workshop was deemed critical business.  90% of my job is all computer-based so WFH isn't too bad (work-supplied laptop is just as powerful as my office desktop, the speed of the network through the VPN is the big issue), it's just the 10% that requires customer-facing contact and occasional travel that has really changed.

 

On the social side of things I'm not too fussed about deliveries/click-and-collect etc, already had heaps of stuff home-delivered before lockdown anyway.  Once the fully-vax'ed social bubbles open back up after Freedom Day and we can leave our LGAs things will basically be back to normal for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

I started going back in to the office 2-3 days a week back in March (just needed a change of scenery after we hit 12 months of full WFH) but that obviously ended at the start of the most recent NSW lockdown, although despite that I did spend 3 solid weeks during lockdown last month on-site as supporting the dealer workshop was deemed critical business.  90% of my job is all computer-based so WFH isn't too bad (work-supplied laptop is just as powerful as my office desktop, the speed of the network through the VPN is the big issue), it's just the 10% that requires customer-facing contact and occasional travel that has really changed.

Yeah the lockdown in vic is beyond a joke at this point, clearly his curfew isn't working, everything being closed isn't working, etc. Open stuff up for the fully vaxxed only i say. 

 

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

On the social side of things I'm not too fussed about deliveries/click-and-collect etc, already had heaps of stuff home-delivered before lockdown anyway.  Once the fully-vax'ed social bubbles open back up after Freedom Day and we can leave our LGAs things will basically be back to normal for me.

Oh no it's how we have to do it, that's the stupid thing. Yeah the way commie andrews is going, it'll be Easter before we're open again lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TommyM said:

Yeah the lockdown in vic is beyond a joke at this point, clearly his curfew isn't working, everything being closed isn't working, etc. Open stuff up for the fully vaxxed only i say. 

 

Oh no it's how we have to do it, that's the stupid thing. Yeah the way commie andrews is going, it'll be Easter before we're open again lol

I had a quick look at the reported figures recently. NSW cases are trending down and VIC cases are trending up. Pressure is on to get the population fully vaccinated to whatever target figure [80-90%] then let the "new normal" begin.

In QLD, the "tounge in cheek" prediction is that we will head into a lockdown within a week after the NRL Grand Final on 04.10.2021 . Apparently, the ticket requirements have just got changed to be 2 jabs so you can attend.

Personally, I will be seeking a medical clearance to confirm when I it will be safe for my 1st jab. Certainly expecting to have to be fully vaccinated. In the meantime, I will be getting my Aurion fully road trip ready in the next month. I am more expecting the QLD border to be re-opened with NSW after the Xmas school holidays. Then I will be doing my usual interstate road trip but avoiding the Easter 2022 period. I will definitely have to be in cruise/defensive driving mode knowing that there will be a lot of pent up frustration being released on the highways. That will then result in a stepped up Police and speed camera presence offering those involuntary invitations to make a govt. contribution.

Remember and Do Safe motoring. Keep out of the way of those potential Darwin Award candidates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

That will then result in a stepped up Police and speed camera presence offering those involuntary invitations to make a govt. contribution.

Remember and Do Safe motoring. Keep out of the way of those potential Darwin Award candidates.

Ahaha if there's nobody behind you, and you see a mobile money theif (roadside camera) in a 100k zone, slow down to 80 past'em, the dirty looks they give you crack me up. Then go back up to 100 😂😂😂

Being a ***** i know, but those contraptions are just oxygen thieves. 

Caravan drivers, don't get me started.....

 

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

I had a quick look at the reported figures recently. NSW cases are trending down and VIC cases are trending up. Pressure is on to get the population fully vaccinated to whatever target figure [80-90%] then let the "new normal" begin.

******* andrews would rather keep vic in lockdown instead. But i'm not going to get started on that incompetence moron.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TommyM said:

Ahaha if there's nobody behind you, and you see a mobile money theif (roadside camera) in a 100k zone, slow down to 80 past'em, the dirty looks they give you crack me up. Then go back up to 100 😂😂😂

Being a ***** i know, but those contraptions are just oxygen thieves. 

Caravan drivers, don't get me started.....

Agree with all the above, but here's one for you...... drum roll drrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Horse Float Drivers !!! :wallbash:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Horse Float ?, yeah there's no horse in it, yet they're driving slower than the flinstones. Move your fat f**king ***** out of the right lane or f off

 

"Keep left unless overtaking" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership