Ongoing Removal of Engine Oil Sludge

campbeam

I thought that I would start this thread to record my latest battle with the ongoing oil sludge issue. Most of my driving is short distance <10-15kms so the engine does not get up to full operating temperature to help disperse any accumulated contaminants.

However over the next 2-3 weeks I will have the opportunity to do longer trips to aid the oil sludge removal process. As a starting point, I did an oil change about 1 week ago at 231250 kms on the odometer. Now done another 300kms and the following photos were taken after driving 250kms. The oil on the dipstick is almost tranparent in colour with a faint golden colour trace. Photo inside the oil filler cap gives a better view of the engine oil colour on top of the finger protection plate. The other photo is a picture of the display screen of the inspection camera which has dual lens. Top half of the screen shows the downward looking view of the cylinder head which looks quite clean. The lower half of the screen shows a side view of a camshaft. You can see the accumulated oil sludge at the end of the camshaft.

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.c9de5db7932533bcf12eb50ee9e4cfa7.JPGIMG_0025.thumb.JPG.e151b7abee5eb420666166224eb132bc.JPGIMG_0035.thumb.JPG.8b137b4fcc682e3b97ad1978e1f6a347.JPG

They say pictures tell a thousand words. The last one sure tells a good story Ash. Man that's sludgy. You weren't wrong. The first pic is pretty much what you could expect after only a few hundred kays. The problem is that the accumulated sludge that forms in all those little pockets is the challenge. It would warrant an engine out, partial disassembly and then go to town with solvents and scrubbing brushes of all sizes to thorooughly clean the internals.

I think at some point you may just have to live with the fact that you will probably never get it 100% clean, which is why your oil filter will play a vital role in capturing the crumbs as they come away. It's like the gift that keeps giving. As long as the vital components aren't blocked with sludge and are able to function, the rest can be more viewed as more of a visual distraction.

I don't recall, but is it possible to get the camera up to the oil pick up screen or is there disassembly involved ?

Thanks for the pics too.:thumbsup:

On 10/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

your oil filter will play a vital role in capturing the crumbs as they come away. It's like the gift that keeps giving. As long as the vital components aren't blocked with sludge and are able to function

Attached picture is after doing a few hours of highway driving; Brisbane to Gold Coast and back. Oil on the dipstick is now a light golden colour. I did check with the inspection camera but no noticable difference. Really need a decent road trip. 

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.3ae2510f8a1b8a2284680e3b2fb6d333.JPG