V6 Servicing, what should I be looking for and doing?

Jces21

Hi all, I think I just picked up a bargain, a 2008 Presara, GSV40R V6 (200kw) with ~118000kms on the clock. It seems to drive quite nice, but I'm not sure what to do around this type of mileage when it comes to servicing? I would like to get it serviced and thoroughly checked over by a mechanic but not sure what to ask them to check for. I would like to spend some bucks on it to ensure reliability for future driving as I do a lot of kilometres every year (30-35k per year).

I feel that the suspension is a bit tied, the front discs seem to be warped as there's a bit of shudder under braking, wondering what an automatic trans service would do because I think that the previous owner towed with the car as when its cold it holds on to gear change a while longer before changing, would full synthetic in the trans be any good? Should I be looking at changing out the plugs as full economy with 98ULP varies around ~11lt to 100km? It's not blowing any smoke that I can see, or leaking anything on the drive, but what type of motor oil should I be using in the engine? Is upgrading any of the filters make a difference in performance and economy?  Does it need a timing belt change out not knowing when or if its been done? What are the water pumps like on these cars, usually, in previous cars, I would be replacing them around 120-140km mark, is there any tell tale signs that I may need to doe this? How does the power steering go, sounds a bit noisy when in full lock both directions when in operations....is there anything else anyone could share with me before I book into a mechanic...I've already done an alternator, and that was an experience, expensive too (just short of $1000).

Any news would be greatly appreciated team. Thanks. 

Hopefully, you have got the owners manual and a recent service history. 

Main items to check is that the rear VVTi oil line has been replaced with a full metal version and that the oil cooler hoses have been replaced with a metal piping version. There are threads on this Forum that cover each of these items and some posts can be confusing because they mix up these 2 separate issues. 

A quick check of the colour of the engine oil will give you an idea of whether an oil change and oil filter cartridge change is due now/soon e.g. @ 120K. 

You mentioned brake shudder so a thorough check of the brake pads and rotors would be a priority. A check of the condition of the brake fluid will determine whether a change of brake fluid is required now or can be checked again at the next service. 

If the automatic transmission fluid has not been changed [check service history] then highly recommend getting the ATF changed either using Toyota ATF [WS specification] or Penrite LV ATF which is a full synthetic ATF. Also it is normal operation for gear changes to be more in lower gears until the engine and coolant have warmed up. Once that has happened, gear changes should be smooth and not that noticable. Gear changes are can be smoother after the ATF has been changed. 

Original double iridium spark plugs have a lifespan of 160-190K kms. When I replaced my spark plugs, I also replaced the ignition coils. 

Recommend using a quality known brand full synthetic engine oil e.g. Penrite, Nulon, Shell, Castrol etc. Refer to owners manual for the oil viscosity e.g. 5W-30. I will also use 5W-40 particularly in summer months for better engine wear protection especially when doing road trips. Your estimated annual driving of 30-35K is about 2-3 times mine so your oil change interval can be extended potentially up to 10K if using a full synthetic engine oil and a genuine Toyota oil filter cartridge. The 2GR-FE engine can be prone to oil sludge so regular oil changes with a quality engine oil are essential. 

Also the 2GR-FE engine has a timing chain and regular oil changes to remove the decominated oil is a good preventative measure. 

With regards to the power steering, I replace the fluid in the reservoir annually. 

How long the water pumps last can be a bit of a lottery. I replaced mine after 200K but I bought my Aurion used at 160K. My pump did not leak but became noisy when I started the engine one Saturday morning. Other posts on this Forum indicate the pump failing and leaking unexpectedly. Another member has recently replaced the water pump as a preventative measure.

What I was doing was to replace the cooling fluid in the reservoir and cleaning any residue out of the reservoir. A check of the condition of the coolant will indicate whether it is due to be replaced. This may not be applicable to yourself because when the alternator was replaced, the radiator could have been drained and removed. 

• Like 1