New member from VIC - Avalon!

Toyollac

Morning All,

When I turned 18, my first car was my grandfathers 2002 Toyota Avalon Sorrento.

I'm now 24, and have been through many a car (Jaguar XJ6, Statesman's, Caprice's, ES300s... the list goes on)

And guess where I've found myself?  Back with a 2004 Toyota Avalon GXI (Base model)

I wanted a cheap runabout car that is comfortable, roomy, and reliable.  I thought about an Avalon, and it ticks all the boxes!
I have a girlfriend as well that's learning how to drive, so I figured if I have an Avalon, I won't be extremely worried if she knocks it up a bit... though I honestly do think it's a handsome car, so I hope she doesn't (hasn't yet, bless her.)

The V6 is slightly lethargic compared to the V8's I've owned, but it still has enough get up and go, and is extremely smooth.  It's more comfortable than the X300 XJ6 I owned.
I also don't like the way it revs to 3k RPM in 1st gear when warming up.

Besides these two gripes, I love it.

Welcome to the Forum. Interesting how the circle of life works and you have returned to Toyota. 

Good that you have had a number of different makes and models so you can appreciate the Toyota reliability. 

Hopefully, you teach the girlfriend how to drive defensively to survive and avoid serious accidents.

I recently had a few very forceful words to say to my girlfriend when she went to look at her mobile phone when we were stopped at traffic lights. I reminded her that cameras to detect mobile phone usage and non-wearing of seat belts are active and fines are now being issued. 

Maybe a good idea to check/clean the intake sensors and air filter etc. 

I'm certainly teaching her to be a defensive driver.  She's doing very well so far. 

Though she has a habit of cranking the starter about a second more than she needs to - trying to get her out of that habit. 
I've explained why it's bad, how it can wear your starter prematurely etc.  She's getting better, still doing it occasionally though.

I've got a 1974 Buick Riviera (chokeless car) so I thought it'd be funny to try and get her to start that, sensing when the engine is about to fire, applying correct pressure on the accelerator, and NOT continually cranking the starter ;D 
If I let her start it all by herself, she would have destroyed the starter.

I don't think she'll ever be a car aficionado, but she'll be safe.

Edited by Toyollac

Welcome to the forum Matt, Great choice to go back to something you have enjoyed and driven before. The reliability of Toyota has always been a deciding factor in my choice to stick with something I love and still to this day enjoy climbing behind the wheel and sliding into comfort.

The idea of you trying to get a lady to do things like you would do them made me laugh, I only ever asked my wife to do 2 things when behind the wheel, don't smash it up and don't blow it up, that is why we are still in love to this day. 

I am sure as the time goes by your lady will enjoy the comfort and reliability of the Avalon, at least you can rest easy knowing she is in a safe and reliable car whenever she is out of sight.

Keep Well

KAA