Toyota Celica Crank no start

Heyman_526

hi I was just wondering if I can get some help please? 

A young lad I know just got his P plates and his first car. I believe it's a 1994 Toyota Celica with a manual transmission I believe he said it was a 5 speed with a 4 cylinder engine. 

Pretty soon after he got it, it would not start. It cranks but it won't go. it's been sitting a couple of months. The fuel filter and pump were replaced but it still doesn't start and the battery has been charged.

He seems to be at a loss as to what to do and I don't want him to waste any more money without getting the issue resolved so that he can drive it.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you very much for your time.

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Heyman_526 said:

hi I was just wondering if I can get some help please? 

A young lad I know just got his P plates and his first car. I believe it's a 1994 Toyota Celica with a manual transmission I believe he said it was a 5 speed with a 4 cylinder engine. 

Pretty soon after he got it, it would not start. It cranks but it won't go. it's been sitting a couple of months. The fuel filter and pump were replaced but it still doesn't start and the battery has been charged.

He seems to be at a loss as to what to do and I don't want him to waste any more money without getting the issue resolved so that he can drive it.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you very much for your time.

Cheers 

Crank no start

Crank but doesn't fire will be one of three things

1) No spark (or spark at the wrong time) - check spark plugs, leads, coil, distributor cap, as well as timing.

2) No fuel - check fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, injectors

3) No air - Highly unlikely to be this, as even if the whole intake was gummed up you'd still expect _some_ air to leak past the throttle.  Still, clean out the TB and idle bypasses just in case.

58 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Did you check for spark at one of the plugs ? You can purchase an inline spark tester for this or, just earth the lead to ground while cranking. The coil could be bad.

Thank you i'm not sure if he has tested it so far but I will let him know 

Edited by Heyman_526

43 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Crank but doesn't fire will be one of three things

1) No spark (or spark at the wrong time) - check spark plugs, leads, coil, distributor cap, as well as timing.

2) No fuel - check fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, injectors

3) No air - Highly unlikely to be this, as even if the whole intake was gummed up you'd still expect _some_ air to leak past the throttle.  Still, clean out the TB and idle bypasses just in case.

I don't believe it's a fuel issue someone got it to just start but it shut off straight away. and the only thing I can think of other than spark is a stuck injector. 

51 minutes ago, Heyman_526 said:

the only thing I can think of other than spark is a stuck injector. 

It's also possible to have gummed up fuel injectors if it's been in long term storage. Dried out stale fuel can wreak all sorts of havoc in a fuel system.

Not knowing it's recent or past history makes it quite difficult to troubleshoot online. Looks like you've gone 3/4 of the way with the fuel system, you may as well keep going and have the injectors removed, cleaned and tested. Try shooting some brake cleaner through them and see how you go. There are tonnes of youtube videos on how to perform this task. It's quite easy.

Here's a decent enough video I found:

• 3 months later...