Aurion Weight Reduction

thyyuri

6 hours ago, thyyuri said:

Anyone done any weight reduction on their Aurion? Currently have an 07 atx and thinking of fully gutting the thing.

What are you trying to achieve?  Following YouTube video will give you some ideas about vehicle weight reduction. Perhaps you may be better off selling your Aurion and getting a vehicle from the 90's. 

• Like 1

Currently have the back half of the car taken out, planning on removing the roof lining, carpet and maybe the sound deadening. Car is basically just a fun burner. Going to test if it goes any quicker. 

ACE74D5B-572E-449F-98FA-4E5DC9523738.jpeg

14E68BAF-9580-4415-9B13-46783CDA12A3.jpeg

1A845C5D-9CD8-4F92-A545-BC8B6A289CE0.jpeg

9 hours ago, matt36415 said:

So not road legal?

That's the thought that came to my mind too. Will it still be road legal having it stripped practically bare internally. 

Imagine the look on the face of the Policeman who stops this guy and sees this ?

How fast do you really need to go on a public road ? The roads are already congested and filled with pot holes and other crappy imperfections so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For Track use, I also beleive there'd be rules and regulations governing how a car is to be presented before hitting the track too.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 4:06 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

That's the thought that came to my mind too. Will it still be road legal having it stripped practically bare internally. 

Imagine the look on the face of the Policeman who stops this guy and sees this ?

How fast do you really need to go on a public road ? The roads are already congested and filled with pot holes and other crappy imperfections so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For Track use, I also beleive there'd be rules and regulations governing how a car is to be presented before hitting the track too.

QR and Lakeside (both racetracks near Brisbane) would allow this Aurion with the weight reduction. Since the windows must be wound up, you don't need the doorskins either.

At most, they require a muffler (or under 90db sound). A straight pipe Aurion won't hit that unless on the limiter.

So yeah, this'd be allowed on a track*, but not roadworthy (without a modplate).
*(tracks where I live)

On 11/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, thyyuri said:

Currently have the back half of the car taken out, planning on removing the roof lining, carpet and maybe the sound deadening. Car is basically just a fun burner. Going to test if it goes any quicker. 

ACE74D5B-572E-449F-98FA-4E5DC9523738.jpeg

14E68BAF-9580-4415-9B13-46783CDA12A3.jpeg

1A845C5D-9CD8-4F92-A545-BC8B6A289CE0.jpeg

Are you able to post a few more pictures of the boot/rear firewall bracing? Preferably a few angles. Just wanna see how much of that brace is structural and if it could be built differently. (for full boot access instead of a ski-port)

6 minutes ago, Twixter said:

Are you able to post a few more pictures of the boot/rear firewall bracing? Preferably a few angles. Just wanna see how much of that brace is structural and if it could be built differently. (for full boot access instead of a ski-port)

Those existing pictures already show that the existing V shaped brace is structural to stiffen the body. You can see that it can be unbolted. It looks like it should be possible to construct a straight brace. 

Following link shows an additional brace. 

https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv40rgsv40r-07-11-rear-bar-4-point/

I think that you would be better served to go visit a few local auto recycling yards particularly looking at Camrys.

If you want full boot access then the rear seat will need to fold down. I have noticed on YouTube videos that USA Camrys [or some models] have the folding rear seats. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, campbeam said:

Those existing pictures already show that the existing V shaped brace is structural to stiffen the body. You can see that it can be unbolted. It looks like it should be possible to construct a straight brace. 

Following link shows an additional brace. 

https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv40rgsv40r-07-11-rear-bar-4-point/

I think that you would be better served to go visit a few local auto recycling yards particularly looking at Camrys.

If you want full boot access then the rear seat will need to fold down. I have noticed on YouTube videos that USA Camrys [or some models] have the folding rear seats. 

True, I was wanting to make a verticle support beam (but I'm sure they didn't build the Aurion like that for a reason) so I could make it a camper as well. Mattress going from the boot to rear seats (Taking rear backrests off). But I think the 40 series (pre-FL) wouldn't really handle that too well. A 50 series would but.

• 9 months later...

Alright been awhile kinda forgot I posted this but it’s road legal, just need a mod plate for seating change and keep a tyre repair kit with ya. But we got the car to 1330kg-ish (without me I’m 70kg) from its 1590kg I think. So cutting at the rear parcel shelf, shaving door panels out, sound deadening, etc. Quite a lot of weight in sound deadening and panels in the parcel shelf and doors. Possibly could do a weight reduction on a TRD and keep all interior but remove excess metal panels, sound deadening and all that, was a good chunk 40kg-ish. Don’t have accurate scales as used a weight scale and whatever was added to my weight while holding it. Used a recycle place scale to weigh it up. To sum it all up definitely fun, goes way quicker than before 0-100 under 6s, handles significantly better, no wheel spin on 20” with 235 tyres (use to wheel spin crazy due to weight and squatting), surprises a lot of people with tuned gtis, wrxs, ss’s, turbo fords, you name it. Traction control & vsc always off, ported intake manifold, cai, no cats, no mufflers. If you gotta burner aurion definitely fun experiment. It has now turned into a work car with dual battery, drawers, 240v etc. Current weight with me and fully loaded tools 1870kg. But now it’s time for the TRD to get some weight reduction.

Plenty of stuff is no longer with the car, no more aircon, old exhaust no longer there, no more motor seat for driver, dash taken out, etc. Basically an engine, transmission, chassis and wheels. But as of now basically same thing but has the dash back and all the work stuff.

Edited by thyyuri

Your registration fee will be cheaper now it's under the normal weight for an Aurion.

My Aurion tips in just over the 1505 threshold and as such I have to cop the $486
rip !!

It hurts a little, but what can you do ?

Tare weight (kg) Private use fee Business use fee
Up to 975 $224 $365
976 to 1154 $261 $415
1155 to 1504 $318 $502
1505 to 2504 $486 $756
2505 to 2794 $705 $1,175
Edited by Tony Prodigy