2017 VX Prado 150 Series Diesel Consumption Rates?

Grannit

I have the above Prado and have just seen post fuel rates of 8L/100KM!  For me this is crazy talk as I am running at 12.5-13L/100KM!!

I am curious as to what other people are getting from their Prados?  I have had an after market ARB Steel bar and belly plate added on purchase.  Would this make 5L/100KM difference?

I can drop to 10L/100KM if I do a very long trip with no hills.  Do I have a fuel issue here or not?  I would be very ****** if there is something going on as I brought it new and have always had it serviced by Toyota.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

What type of trips are you doing?  Fully loaded?  Roof racks/boxes etc? Have you changed tyres to something more offroad-y?  Big 4WDs are often sensitive to even slight variations in cruising speed as the aerodynamic drag is much more significant than a passenger car, so you might be able to achieve 8L/100k @90-100km/h but as soon as you accelerate up to 110k it plummets to 12L/100k for instance.  Driving style too will also make a big difference

Also, how are you calculating your economy?

In saying that though, there was another post on here recently about another VX 150-series diesel struggling to meet the rated consumption, so could well be a common thing (or that the testing regime isn't 100% reflective on real-world driving, not the first time that has happened)

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:38 PM, Grannit said:

I have the above Prado and have just seen post fuel rates of 8L/100KM!  For me this is crazy talk as I am running at 12.5-13L/100KM!!

I am curious as to what other people are getting from their Prados?  I have had an after market ARB Steel bar and belly plate added on purchase.  Would this make 5L/100KM difference?

I can drop to 10L/100KM if I do a very long trip with no hills.  Do I have a fuel issue here or not?  I would be very ****** if there is something going on as I brought it new and have always had it serviced by Toyota.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Been some time since you asked this question, but what the heck.  How many kilometres have you got on the vehicle?  Being now 5 or 6 year old I'm guessing probably something like 100,000 k's at least.  So regardless, time for a intake manifold clean, new glow plugs and injectors.  Common rail injectors have a MUCH harsher life than the 'old school' mechanical ones.  All jobs that a competent person can do themselves, other than recoding the replacement injector calibration codes into the ECU (unless you have a professional grade scan tool).  Just take a picture of the codes (on the top of each injector) and record which cylinder the injector was fitted, and then take it somewhere that has a suitable scan tool to do it when the job is finished e.g. diesel shop, auto-electrician. 

If the cost of this task freaks you out, think what a replacement engine (due to oil starvation) will cost if you do have an uncorrected problem.  To monitor for problems caused by leaking common rail injectors the oil pickup screen should be routinely inspected each oil change (just via a borescope up the oil drain plug hole), and you can bet the Toyota service department isn't doing that.