Kluger Grande 2015 Tailgate stopped working

Blairgarry

Went to automatically shut tailgate but too much in boot and it wouldn’t shut. Tried to open it again using the button on the tailgate as well as the button on key ring and next to ignition but no luck. Just does one very long beep. Have had to pull it open manually and shut manually.

I’ve checked button in glove box and it is on. When I try to open it after unlocking the car, I can hear it release but it won’t automatically lift open. When I key lock car I can hear it lock. Haven’t had any problems with it until now.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Blairgarry said:

Went to automatically shut tailgate but too much in boot and it wouldn’t shut. Tried to open it again using the button on the tailgate as well as the button on key ring and next to ignition but no luck. Just does one very long beep. Have had to pull it open manually and shut manually.

I’ve checked button in glove box and it is on. When I try to open it after unlocking the car, I can hear it release but it won’t automatically lift open. When I key lock car I can hear it lock. Haven’t had any problems with it until now.

Hi Blair. There's a few posts on this forum regarding the tailgate and it appears they seem to go wrong after 6 years.

If you're lucky, maybe the tailgate is just 'out of sync', I would manually fully open and try to get it auto-close, then manually close and try to get get it to auto-open. Try it a few times till it hopefully syncs up again.

Otherwise it may be bad news. Mine failed after 6 years and there's another person with issues with his 2014 kluger. If it's the struts that's causing the issue, they cost $300 to replace, if it's the motor that will cost $3000.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Blairgarry said:

Thanks for that. Will give it a go. Because they have individual motors for each strut, do both normally go at the same time?

Sorry I wouldn't know that answer as I originally thought there was only 1 hidden motor doing the lifting and the gas suspension struts are there to support the tailgate only. Your model may have a different auto tailgate set to my older 2011 version. 

If you do have a dual motor set up and one is failing, depending on who you go to, they may just recommend you replace both at the same time or you'll have a new motor doing more of the lifting than the old motor and you may eventually be back to square 1 when one of the motors starts to fail again. 

Looks like Toyota dropped the ball on this idea. There seems to be many failures being reported and It's a very expensive repair all this fancy stuff car makers are cramming into their cars. I remember the days when when used our hands to open and close tailgates and that was normal.  What's changed ? 

Are these tailgates that heavy that it requires mechanical actuation ??