Fitting driving lights

TimDog

I have a 2018 Rav and cannot access the headlamp assembly to fit the harness going back to an after market set of driving lights.

Thye whole unit appears to be sealed. Can anyone help with this please?

I've got a 2017 with LED headlights and was looking to upgrade the highbeam. I had the same issue as you, i couldn't access the back of the headlamp assembly. 
I was told by one of the sales guys at AutoPro earlier this week that he's come across a few cars where if it's LED from the factory, you can't open it up. Its a sealed unit.  I need to ring Toyota just to confirm but it sure looks that way.  

I haven't checked to see where in the wiring harness you can plug into to fit spoties or a light bar. Thats my next on my list. 

Edited by cage

Many thanks for that. So the quest is to find the wires in the harness that power the high beam. It is not obvious as the rear of the assembly where the LED is has no wiring attached to it. The wiring all comes out of the fuse box and heads in every direction but the back of the LED!! One of them has to be correct. If I have any luck I will post here as surely someone must've fitted a bar or some lights. My lights came with the H4 plugs and cable that can be spliced into the car's wiring.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Hello Tim, I have had the same issue with my 2021 Rav 4 Cruiser. I have been told, because of the high beam  LED light control being dependent on the computer, auxiliary driving lights can't be fitted. The high beam, low beam signal cannot be sent to switch the driving light. A component to do this is not available. The lights can only work if they are wired through a switch, but this is illegal. That doesn't overcome your sealed LED problem though.

• 1 month later...

Toyota have told me they do make a patch harness for driving lights. Not sure if its suitable for a light bar but i'd be looking for some firm confirmation that driving lights (twin spot lights) can be wired up to work with the light switch as per the legal requirements before purchasing ANY lights.  
The only thing stopping me from going down that road is the whole front end is pretty flimsy. Just push in on the number plate and you will see what i mean. You will probably need to go to the extra expense of buying and instalation of a nudge bar.

• 1 year later...

I've been looking into this for some time.   As I understand it:  There is no wiring to each bulb from the relay box like in the old days.  Instead all bulbs are connected via a single bus (wire) which powers every (most?) bulbs.  This saves a lot of copper.  A digital signal is sent down the wires (which connect all bulbs).  A tiny computer mounted on the back of each bulb which listens for it's signal (ie on/off).  If you're into IT, think of it as an ethernet switch.  If you're over a certain age or into retro Rock Hudson movies, think of it as a telephone party line.   That's why there's no way of intercepting the line to the high beam bulb.   I'd be surprised if Toyota's wiring didn't accommodate auxiliary lights so definitely keen to hear more about that.  Another solution is to purchase a "CAN Bus Control box".  They're an aftermarket box which listens to the chatter coming out of your Toyota's computer & gives you a wire with 12V with it detects the high beam request.  (Remember that this is signal power only, you still have to wire in a relay to power your lights).   They're about $200 which I'm OK with but I haven't found one that says it's compatible with a Rav prior to 2018. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, cage said:

Toyota have told me they do make a patch harness for driving lights. Not sure if its suitable for a light bar but i'd be looking for some firm confirmation that driving lights (twin spot lights) can be wired up to work with the light switch as per the legal requirements before purchasing ANY lights.  
The only thing stopping me from going down that road is the whole front end is pretty flimsy. Just push in on the number plate and you will see what i mean. You will probably need to go to the extra expense of buying and instalation of a nudge bar.

Most exciting news.  We've got a nudge bar already.  Can you put the thumb screws on your contact at Toyota and find out more?  What you need from the wiring patch (if it exists) is a wire that gives you 12V with high beam is on.  It won't carry enough current to power the lightbar.  You'll still need to wire in a relay to power the lightbar.