Check engine flash

Henstepper

I started my car first thing in the morning my car was wobbling and the check engine light was flashing on the dash.. i turned off the car restarted it and it was fine and drove to work it didnt come back on. Something to worry about or just random?

Hi Steve, I personally don't go with random when engine lights flash mate, it could be one but I would suggest having a mechanic plug in a reader and check out what could be something simple before it becomes something major. Always better to be sure rather than go with the it will be OK, these days we are driving computers so one small fault can affect so many other things, and as you describe a rough starting engine and flashing check engine light get it looked at soon in case.

I know others will throw their ideas of a possibility your way mate, let us know how things turn out.

KAA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I started my car first thing in the morning my car was wobbling and the check engine light was flashing on the dash.. i turned off the car restarted it and it was fine and drove to work it didnt come back on. Something to worry about or just random?

Sounds like it could be an intermittent issue with any one of your coils. Are they still original by any  chance ?

Just an update. I took it into a mechanic and had it scanned. There were absolutely no error codes whatsoever so I guess it's going to remain a mystery for a little bit longer until it does it again. I have booked in for a service tomorrow just a basic oil change but he's going to check other things out just in case

Edited by Henstepper
  • Thanks 1

Well it's good that no codes came up on the scanner, I do hope it is something simple that they pick up on when they check over it. As Tony suggested maybe it is a bad coil pack well worth checking that out mate, letus know the outcome I hate those intermittent mysteries

KAA

He couldn't find anything. he did note the engine oil was quiet dirty despite me buying the car only a few months ago. Toyota told me they did an oil change before I picked it up which my mechanic said there's no way they did. All they did was pour clean oil in over the old stuff to make it look cleaner, He said the filter was filthy. I hope it hasn't  gunked up the engine. So maybe some gunk got into an injector randomly?

13 hours ago, Henstepper said:

He couldn't find anything. he did note the engine oil was quiet dirty despite me buying the car only a few months ago. Toyota told me they did an oil change before I picked it up which my mechanic said there's no way they did. All they did was pour clean oil in over the old stuff to make it look cleaner, He said the filter was filthy. I hope it hasn't  gunked up the engine. So maybe some gunk got into an injector randomly?

The 2GR-FE engine has a known tendency for oil sludge. Regular oil changes are essential. Best to use a quality brand full synthetic engine oil and a shorter oil change interval e.g. 5000 kms

How many kms have you driven [since owning the car] and what is the current odometer reading? Since buying the Aurion presumably from a Toyota dealership, do you have any used car warranty? What fuel have you been using?

A member also mentioned in a recent post about using Nulon fuel injector cleaner.

I would also consider another oil change in 5000 kms or earlier if the colour of the oil on the dipstick is starting to look black. At the moment, the oil colour on the dipstick will be clear. Expect it to turn to a light golden colour and gradually over time become a darker golden colour.

4 hours ago, Henstepper said:

Car had 140k on the clock. I drove it 6000k since july. Ive been putting in 95 or 98. No idea what previous owners used

You are using decent quality fuel so maybe no definite need to use a fuel injector cleaner.

6000kms is decent mileage in a 2 month period so not that surprised the mechanic's feedback was that the oil was dirty and filter was filthy [presumably plenty of accumulated oil sludge particles]. I am thinking that the engine oil is at operating temperature for a decent period of time and the detergent additives have been working to reduce any accumulated oil sludge

Looks like you got the oil change done at 146K on the odometer. Consider getting the next oil change at 150K and get the mechanic to show you the condition of the oil filter cartridge.