Aurion 07’ massive oil Leak-no recall on my vehicle

Lykiu

Hi,

My Toyota Aurion 2007 is experiencing a massive oil leak issue. I checked the forums and noticed Toyota has a recall for the oil leak/vvti pil hose.
I called up Toyota dealership they said my vehicle was not ordered for recall and the warranty was expired. I also called Toyota recall to ask why my car was recalled and they advised me that only certain amount of cars was recalled as they were identified with the issue. 

I even asked toyota, “if I went to a toyota dealership and it was identified the same issue, would the cost be covered?” She basically said, my car was not due for recall fullstop. 

shouldn’t Toyota cover the cost if it was identified to be the same issue? As they somehow missed and my car was not identified it for recall. 

I don’t understand why others with exact same make and model was due for recall and prevented further issues but my Toyota wasn’t!!

Toyota’s recall campaign apparently is for their customer’s safety.. but only some???! 

Now due to the oil leak, they said I have to organises the toll (my own cost) and INSPECTION fee of $150 .. that’s just the start of it! 

When it comes to oil leaks, the 2GR-FE has 2 known issues. To my knowledge, Toyota has never issued a recall for either of these issues. First issue is the rubber hose mid-section in the rear VVTi oil line. Sometime around 2008, Toyota issued a Service Bulletin to initially replace that rubber hose with a higher specification hose. Later a full metal oil line was made available for this repair. Aurions manufactured from August [?] 2009 had this full metal oil line. I understand that only those Toyotas that had the higher specification hose fail at a later date were covered again and the full metal oil line was then used. From personal experience, a pin hole leak results in a significant oil leak. Replacement of that rear VVTi oil line is quite time consuming so a $500 repair bill can be expected.

Quite some time ago, I phoned Toyota and confirmed that the replacement of the original rear VVTi oil line was at the customer's expense. However, Toyota did meet the cost to replace any leaking oil cooler hoses. These are located near the oil filter cartridge housing. However, the affected vehicles are now older than 12 years so best to confirm with Toyota or the dealer that this work will be paid by Toyota Australia.

@Lykiuwelcome to the Aurion owners club, although it's not a happy meeting at all 😞 Try to call few Toyota dealers, explain them the issue and, if it's the Vvti oil line, you might find one of them willing to come to the party. My 2008 had its oil line replaced at a local dealer free of charge, before experiencing any leak thankfully. Just bear in mind there are 2 hoses, they only replace the lower one, the upper hose isn't a recall item even though there were cases when the upper rubber hoes burst and made a big mess. If you have the energy keep pressing them, best of luck.

2 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

My 2008 had its oil line replaced at a local dealer free of charge, before experiencing any leak thankfully.

Can you provide some background information as to when this replacement was done.

I am just being skecptical that a dealer is going to do an out of warranty $500 repair for no charge. Always happy to be proved wrong.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, campbeam said:

Can you provide some background information as to when this replacement was done.

I am just being skecptical that a dealer is going to do an out of warranty $500 repair for no charge. Always happy to be proved wrong.

Had my Aurion and dad’s Kluger done for free by the dealer last year - just called the dealer and booked in. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, donnot said:

Had my Aurion and dad’s Kluger done for free by the dealer last year - just called the dealer and booked in. 

O.P. should probably just ring around a few Toyota dealers until he hits the jackpot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lykiu,

I had the oil cooler pipe replaced free of charge just recently in October. My Aurion is also a 2007 model. The invoice lists it as: Oil Cooler Pipe Recall (AHG56).

Hope this helps if you contact dealers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, campbeam said:

Sorry, missed your post, since moving to Ipswich it apparently takes a while to find the TOC forum in my bookmarks, everything happens slower here in Qld :)) It was done back in Melbourne at Nunawading Toyota. I might find the email exchange I had with them back then if interested.

Edited by AurionX2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

everything happens slower here in Qld :

Welcome to QLD. Sort of laughing then realised that I am having a slow day today with an after-lunch Sunday nap. Maybe the recent hot weather and thunderstorms has slowed down your bookmarks. 😁  

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked my 2008 ATX in at local Newcastle dealership. I called Toyota 1800 869 682 and pressed 3 for Recalls. I spoke to a very pleasant and professional Toyota representative whom confirmed the recall after I provided the VIN. I was then transferred to a local dealership, after a short wait while details were being transferred I was able to make the booking.

Thanks to all the contributors - it's good to know this will be fixed before it is a problem because of you.

• Thanks 2