Toyota Avalon Alternator & Starter lifespan

Toyollac

Morning All,

Hope you've been well.  

Just wondering how many k's you've gotten out of the original Alternator and Starter motor?

I know the stock ones are Bosch, so good quality.  I've got a 2004 Avalon with 130,000ks on it with the original starter and alternator - I was considering getting some preventative maintenance done and replacing them both... but I thought I'd ask and see how many k's you guys have gotten out of your original starter & alternators?

Cheers 🙂

• Like 1

While you await a reply from actual Avalon owners, I replaced the alternator in my Oct. 2006 Aurion in March 2019 after 207,500 kms. Original starter motor is still fitted.

Personally, I would not bother replacing them until they actually started to give issues.

Depending upon your perspective about future availability of these parts and long term ownership, it may be worthwhile acquiring spares at the right price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toyollac said:

Morning All,

Hope you've been well.  

Just wondering how many k's you've gotten out of the original Alternator and Starter motor?

I know the stock ones are Bosch, so good quality.  I've got a 2004 Avalon with 130,000ks on it with the original starter and alternator - I was considering getting some preventative maintenance done and replacing them both... but I thought I'd ask and see how many k's you guys have gotten out of your original starter & alternators?

Cheers 🙂

I've still got the original Denso starter in my 04' Avalon & original alternator. 255k & counting.

Bearings are quiet, no pulley noise, etc

I wouldn't replace it as a preventative, because bosch quality has dropped significantly since 2004 sadly. Leave the original Denso starter until it actually quits haha !

Had my air-con regassed as maintenance not long ago, also dyed. System held 800g +/- 10g, recovered 794g, so a loss of 6g in what ?, 17 years ?, they really spent time back then making quality components. Toyota rely too much on the name now yet plenty other brands trumph them in reliability haha !

Never been gassed until now, wasn't dyed, now it's just as cold as i recall haha !

Edited by TommyM

4 minutes ago, campbeam said:

While you await a reply from actual Avalon owners, I replaced the alternator in my Oct. 2006 Aurion in March 2019 after 207,500 kms. Original starter motor is still fitted.

There isn't many Avalon owners that's for sure haha !

Suprised you've had to replace yours if i'm honest.....

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Depending upon your perspective about future availability of these parts and long term ownership, it may be worthwhile acquiring spares at the right price.

Considering the 1MZ's starter is shared among the Kluger, RX300, etc. Alternators are interchangeable with the Kluger, etc (thus being higher outputs)

Plenty parts availability when you look at all models fitted with the MZ engine family.

23 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Suprised you've had to replace yours if i'm honest.....

I was not sure whether it was the alternator pulley or the actual alternator that needed to be replaced.

Decided that the best option was to replace with a complete unit and the issue would be resolved. 

33 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I was not sure whether it was the alternator pulley or the actual alternator that needed to be replaced.

Decided that the best option was to replace with a complete unit and the issue would be resolved. 

Was it a b*tch to do or ?

1 hour ago, TommyM said:

Was it a b*tch to do or ?

Not so bad really mainly because I had viewed a few YouTube video before as part of the preparation. I also referred to it on the day as there was one hidden away bolt that needed to be removed. I am working on the 2GR-FE engine so there would be similarities in working space. I had to remove the radiator shroud and fan assembly to have enough room to remove the alternator. If you are really pedantic [not me], then maybe a good idea to also remove the radiator.

I took most of a day but also checked and re-greased the idler pulleys. I expect that others should be able to do it within a morning but I move at my own leisurely pace.

Ended up being good preparation for replacing the water pump [about 9 months later] and that took me a day and a half.

17 hours ago, Toyollac said:

Morning All,

Hope you've been well.  

Cheers 🙂

130K is nothing. At the rate you're going you'll never need either to be  honest. But in saying that, and based on Tommy's experience, these older Toyota's were pretty robust and reports of premature failure for these are rare. 

I like to keep an eye out for spare parts for any long term ownership of a car so I can have it ready when that day comes it will be needed. So if you plan keeping it for a long time I'd start stocking up. In the event you do sell it, you could sell the parts for profit.

12 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

130K is nothing. At the rate you're going you'll never need either to be  honest. But in saying that, and based on Tommy's experience, these older Toyota's were pretty robust and reports of premature failure for these are rare. 

Sorry about the delay gents, been a busy day haha !

Just had pads, rotors & parking brake shoes done today, jesus what a difference in the pedal feel, bite & stopping power in comparison to the Toyota pads that were in it prior. Exactly !, my mechanic who i know personally is shocked at just how smooth the engine still is, even with 257k on it. It's the best MZ he's worked on in the last 20 odd years. Doesn't burn any oil at all, starts everytime, etc. I run full synthetic fluids wherever possible - even my transmission is smooth, yet shifts are quick yet firm since i've really gotten the full synthetic through it. Nothing is wrong with it besides the timing belt probably being nearing replacing due to age, plus i've got a few idlers ****** me off so i might do it next year sometime. 

I don't exactly give my Toyota an easy life at times, when needed i bury my right foot without hesitation & it just goes without second thought. Once fully up to temp obviously 

Run it on 95RON minimum (98RON generally as a rule obviously), same with my G6E

@Toyollac I wouldn't worry about things breaking prematurely, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But preventative maintenance such as better tyres, 7500km oil change intervals as per Toyota, trans every 40k, good pads/rotors, etc will easily see these old tanks pass well into the hundreds of thousands in terms of kilometres. But i'm very anal on my maintenance schedule 

As much as i respect the Aurions, i just don't see them lasting as long with less issues. Toyota went downhill mid 00's sadly. The MZ family was probably one of Toyota's best V6's. With a noticeable deep growl up top, the GR's just don't have the character or buttery smooth "waft" effect. They pull well though.