Echo 2zz conversion

Grey-Rolla

I'll stand by my opinion that a properly done swap wont have engine mount or CV problems.

Id it's a dodgey swap with flimsy sheetmetal mounts and driveshaft angles all wrong I can see it breaking stuff.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The project was a failure due to incopetence of the mechanic that was doing the work. I saw the car, yes is t it fast but, but using cable tie to hold the radiator. The couldnt even fit the front bumper on properly after taking it off and use cable ties to hold the damnz thing up. I know 4000 isnt alot and is cheap, but they shouldnt have promised what they when the end result was just s#$t. They say 5000 would cover everything, but i highly doubt it. They said it would be easy to get an engineer cert, from my opinion it would be impossible with the car like that.

sobs

wow that's unfortunate ..

what u need to do is call today tonight or even the office of fair trading to sort this out mate

Edited by Les

Radiator installed with cable ties... enough said.

I guess the project can be salvageable if taken to a reputable workshop, but as predicted by some others this is where the time/cost blow out is going to happen.

How deep are your friends pockets? This is where he has to decide, does he continue or just cut his losses and sell all the components.

Unfortunately it's yet another story of rogue operators who promise the world and only leave you with shambles.

I would say, judging by the pictures of the workshop, that the customer got the job they should have expected.

The 2ZZGE fitment into Echo has been discussed many times before.

I've not seen or heard of either a road going, or race, version of this mod in NZ. But I have a little experience of this conversion and believe that's what barryogen was referring to in his earlier post.

This is what I had to say on Toyspeed. I've highlighted the important bits.

"2ZZGE swap. I think this has been covered before.

There's a quite famous European Yaris which had this engine installed. (this is the red car in the pictures at the beginning of this thread) This was a show car only - not a road going car - built as a marketing exercise for Yamaha (we were told). It was arranged by a design company called Activa.

I contacted them directly at the time for some information and they were happy to oblige sending me drawings and photographs of the install and particularly the modifications required to the chassis rail.

Such was the extent of these modifications that they advised that it would be unlikely to pass a compliance test in any country with any meaningful design standards. "

The major issue was the extensive cutting and reshaping of the drivers side inner rail in order to centre the engine/gearbox.

If this work hadn't been done in the conversion we've seen here, and I suspect it hadn't, the whole thing would be off centre and this may account for the engine mount issues.

The angle of the motor doesn't look right either.

ive seen the car just as much as u have, i knew it was fcuked, cause he shifted and tiltered the engine too much forward, which causes stress on the whole front end, also cutting the radiator support, theres was no need, lets us ho wat happens

Since the car is destroyed this would be a good project to make a RWD Echo. Take that 2zzge and engineer a subframe to rear mount the engine.

using what sort of gearbox?

The whole engine and gearbox... Yes there would be some issues to solve but these type of covernsions are fairly common in other cars. There is Moke getting around with a Toyota engine and gearbox rear mounted. Now imagine all that nice turbo plumbing that could fit around the engine in a mid mount conversion. Or for the crazy people a compound engine.

Since the car is destroyed this would be a good project to make a RWD Echo. Take that 2zzge and engineer a subframe to rear mount the engine.

using what sort of gearbox?

The whole engine and gearbox... Yes there would be some issues to solve but these type of covernsions are fairly common in other cars. There is Moke getting around with a Toyota engine and gearbox rear mounted. Now imagine all that nice turbo plumbing that could fit around the engine in a mid mount conversion. Or for the crazy people a compound engine.

I guess... personally I'd rather use an MRS gearbox etc, I'm planning on making something along the lines of a "Locost 7" only MR instead of FR with a 2ZZ of course... could be an interesting little machine.

Will it be able to be engineered for road use ?

I guess... personally I'd rather use an MRS gearbox etc, I'm planning on making something along the lines of a "Locost 7" only MR instead of FR with a 2ZZ of course... could be an interesting little machine.

why would u rather use are mrs gearbox?,

although im using the mrs gearbox with the 2zz, but will be changing it to the celica or sportivo 6 speed as it better suited

so wat happen with this conversion? send it my way :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

On the weekend I found the photos I had of the chassis work on the Activa/Yamaha 'concept' car.

They clearly show about 2/3 of the width of the drivers side rail being cut away, almost throughout it's entire length, in order to centre the engine/gearbox correctly.

This is right by the subframe mounting and, I presume, there'd need to be an engine mount around there too. This has got to weaken this side significantly.

I suspect it is because of this that they commented that this conversion would be unlikely to meet any compliance standards in any country where these are enforced.

Any chance you can post these up for the benefit of others attempting such a conversion, so that they know what's really involved and dont get taken for a ride by dodgy garages...