What's the service life of a water pump for a 1ZZ-FE engine

I'm about to do a coolant flush on my 2006 Corolla with 163,000km. I am just wondering what the service life of the water pump is. Should I change it as a preventive measure? I got about 8 years of service records, Nothing about the water pump being changed, Likely still the original pump

I would advise replacing it Chris. You will be going to all that work to flush the cooling system, you'd hate having to do it all again when and if the pump fails. Just to add, when the bearing and seal go, the coolant will be lost too so it makes no sense to risk running with the old one. It may look and sound fine for the time being, but it may give no notice when it goes. Peace of mind mate.

I replaced the water pump on my Oct. 2006 Aurion 28.01.2021 at 226K on the odometer. It did go unexpectedly with bearing noise on a Saturday morning which just happened to be when I was planning a road trip the next week. I was going to ignore it then realised that the last thing I wanted to happen was to be stranded while away and end up with a towing bill plus a repair bill and extra accommodation fees while waiting for the vehicle to be repaired by an unknown mechanic.

If you are DIY and planning upon keeping your Toyota for a few more years, then definitely buy a quality water pump to have on hand.

Have a look at some YouTube videos so you have an idea of what is involved. Not going to be a quick easy job.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+corolla+water+pump+replacement

Following URL will give you an idea of the water pump life expectancy.

https://www.motorsforum.com/toyota_camry/water-pump-life-expectancy-11295-.htm