wheel dimensions PCD and offsets for a 1968 crown ms55

ideazman

hi everyone, ive got a bone stock barn find ms55 1968 with 14000 m iles on the clock. 100% original to the user manual and tool kit.

Ive put it over the pit and am in the process of sorting the suspension.

Id like to put on some nice period mags and will probably buy online.

I need to know of the PCD and ofsets for the original so i can match some new wheels, probably 15" x 7 wide.

Let me know if youve done something similar, what youve fitted, how good it looks etrc.

many thanks'

Luke - ideazman

• 2 weeks later...

If you change the rim diameter & tyre size most likely you will an error in the speedo. Your speedo will have to have a external cable gear box converter on the gear box to correct your speed readings.  I did a conversion on my 1971 MS55 about 40 years ago & had a box made up to give true speed & distance readings.  

Leave it looking original I have seen a lot of crowns that have had mags & the like fitted spoils the image also If you go anywhere & park it wheels seem to disappear. Mine looks the same as the day it came out of the factory if you want to freshen the looks a nice set of 71 or 72 hubcaps.

Wheel PCD should be 5x114.3, stock wheels were most likely in the range of 14x5" or +27 (that's what the next model MS65 had from my brief search).  Tyre size will be harder since most catalogues don't go back that far, and from factory they would have been running cross-ply tyres or radials with 82% aspect ratio (early radials were pretty much all the same sidewall aspect ratio so the tyre code didn't list it, just something like 185R14 in a similar vein to commerical truck tyres)

Is your crown a full japan build or was it AMI ( Australian Motor Industries ) If AMI then the rims would have been made in Aus by ROH  size as stated by Hiro.  when I changed from crossply to radials the tyre size was 175R14. However I later went for 185 R14 75.  I have had several crowns over the years MS55,s & a few MS65,s but now I only have my original 71 MS55 left got too expensive for rego & insurance for the rest.