Remote or not to Remote.

Haberdasher

Hi to everyone , I just bought my second Avalon , 2005 GXI with just on 100K ,fully serviced every 7500 klms ,so I'm very happy with a genuine one owner central qld immaculate machine. My other Avalon ( which has just been sold ) runs like a swiss clock and is a 2000 Conquest with 260 K on it .Why but new when you can buy another great reliable machine for a change over of just $5k au. Plus all of my spare and service parts will fit. My question to any one out there after many hours of looking up the web is ,does my car come standard with remote boot release? after reading all the info for this model there is conflicting reviews saying it comes standard but looking at my remote boot latch I found no actuator on it (see photo) there is a black plastic round shroud which should cover a motor but behind it is nothing. Yet there a single wire connector connected to it( boot release latch). I have 2 ,two button remotes, when the small button is held down for 1 second I can hear a relay clicking sound behind the glove box and the horn sounds twice but no boot opening. There is no remote glove box button . The Conquest does not have remote boot opening ,so I cannot compare . The manual just covers all models and does not specify which model has which. My question, if it is not remote ,can I fit a actuator with the existing wiring harness? Many thanks in advance if you can shed some light on the matter .

Kind Regards from B L

IMG_20220227_155930806.thumb.jpg.fea96f738b288a5b4973eb141e87a42e.jpgIMG_20220227_155930806.thumb.jpg.fea96f738b288a5b4973eb141e87a42e.jpg

I use RedBook to look at a vehicle's specifications and to compare various models.

Apparently Standard Equipment includes a remote boot release but this could very well be the manual release lever near the driver's seat similar to the remote fuel lid release.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2005-toyota-avalon-gxi-auto/SPOT-ITM-280162/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

I use RedBook to look at a vehicle's specifications and to compare various models.

Apparently Standard Equipment includes a remote boot release but this could very well be the manual release lever near the driver's seat similar to the remote fuel lid release.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2005-toyota-avalon-gxi-auto/SPOT-ITM-280162/

Yeah remote boot release just means you don't have to be standing physically at the lock to open it.  My '98 Corolla lists "remote boot release" but it is 100% just a lever in the cabin even on the highest spec.

Hi, If there is no button on the remote there is no remote boot opening the only actual cable would be the one from inside the car to open the boot lid, I would imagine unless there is wiring in place already it would be a very expensive and complicated job to add a remote button boot release and the car would not recognise any other remote to operate the boot opening. I don't know the Avalon well but is there a button under the boot lip to open the boot? that may be the wiring your seeing. 

KAA

I do recall some Avalon's having the ability to physically lock the barrel (valet mode) by inserting the master key & turning the key counter clockwise. Where as some models don't have the option.

I think it's more lower end models without the alarm, remote boot release, etc. So in that respect i think they're slightly different internally.

E.g GXi & VXi 

Grande has a few bespoke parts & believe me, good luck finding some of'em 🤣🤣

Hi to everyone again ,thankyou for your experience and advice ,with the info given I have now worked out that this model (at least) has a remote boot release , as pointed out is the manual lever beside the drivers seat , the electrical connector going into the boot release actuator is there for when the car is locked and you open and then shut the boot lid the indicator lights flash once to show the car is now all locked, so I do not have remote button boot release even though I received 2 sets of original keys with 2 ,two button remotes (this is what confused me, that and the electrical connector to the release actuator as the per the attached photos),so again thankyou to the Avalon community for your time and replies to this post, hoping to reciprocate in the near future.

Regards BL 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KAA said:

Hi, If there is no button on the remote there is no remote boot opening the only actual cable would be the one from inside the car to open the boot lid, I would imagine unless there is wiring in place already it would be a very expensive and complicated job to add a remote button boot release and the car would not recognise any other remote to operate the boot opening. I don't know the Avalon well but is there a button under the boot lip to open the boot? that may be the wiring your seeing. 

KAA

As my post states , I have 2, two button remotes that came with the car ,so this is where the confusion and why I was wanting info ,that and the electrical connector at the boot release actuator all pointed to remote button boot release.. Cheers

Hi Mate, Glad you got it sorted out, at least now no more confusion for you trying to work out what is what.

KAA

10 hours ago, Haberdasher said:

Hi to everyone again ,thankyou for your experience and advice ,with the info given I have now worked out that this model (at least) has a remote boot release , as pointed out is the manual lever beside the drivers seat , the electrical connector going into the boot release actuator is there for when the car is locked and you open and then shut the boot lid the indicator lights flash once to show the car is now all locked, so I do not have remote button boot release even though I received 2 sets of original keys with 2 ,two button remotes (this is what confused me, that and the electrical connector to the release actuator as the per the attached photos),so again thankyou to the Avalon community for your time and replies to this post, hoping to reciprocate in the near future.

Regards BL 

If it's anything like my parent's '96 Camry, if you don't close the boot lid properly with the car locked it'll beep the horn too

17 hours ago, Hiro said:

If it's anything like my parent's '96 Camry, if you don't close the boot lid properly with the car locked it'll beep the horn too

Or if i don't shut my Avalon boot fully then re-open it, the alarm sets off, because i'm guessing even though it didn't latch fully it detects a forced open event. Oops, sorry neighbours 🤣🤣🤣

I ripped out the puntsy single horn and fitted a set of twin horns from my G6E (High & low tone) significantly louder than before, atleast f**kers move out of my way now. Funny thing, the horns were made in Italy hahaha. So the single horn is gone thankfully.