Kluger cracks over wont start,have to tap starterr to stert

Kelly D

I have issue with 2017 kluger

Starts sometimes, all ways cracks over,but when it doesn't I tap starter then it might or I tap again and will.is this a electrical issue?

Thanks in advance. 

Perhaps a mechanic in this forum can confirm but I think you just diagnosed the problem with your car which is the starter motor will need to be replaced. The established short term fix is to tap it each time but eventually this method will no longer work. It's probably best to get it checked out and fixed now while it's still running. 

--

Geez, just saw the age of your car. It seems a bit young to have starter motor issues but hopefully you resolve the issue and let us know what it was.

Edited by Kombi17
new information

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, Kelly D said:

I have issue with 2017 kluger

Starts sometimes, all ways cracks over,but when it doesn't I tap starter then it might or I tap again and will

For a 2017 vehicle, that is a premature issue. The starter should last much longer than that, but these things can happen, especially if the car has sat around for a long time without usage. The solenoid plunger lever can get sticky in this case and can prevent it from turning the engine over. A gentle tap can free it up. Not practical, I know, but it does work.
Another issue could be worn brushes or a flat spot on the commutator, which in this case I find it hard to believe as it's not that old unless the vehicle has high mileage and then it can be assumed that general wear and tear has occurred.
I would also be inclined to have your battery voltage checked too. Insufficient battery voltage can affect the way the starter operates. So do that first before you write the starter off.

If the battery checks ok,  then you have an unreliable component that has the potential to leave you stuck someday, so I would just replace the starter motor and put your mind to rest.
Good news is that the old starter can be reconditioned so, there is an option of purchasing one of those to save a bit of money or just fork out for a brand new item.

Good luck and I hope the information was helpful.
Cheers :thumbsup: