Death of Sportivo but hinting a new release in 2007

From latest GoAuto

GoAuto last month reported Toyota’s Corolla– Australia’s top-selling small car – had been detuned to meet the new Euro III-equivalent Australian Design Rule (ADR 79/01) Emissions Control for Light Vehicles, which came into effect on January 1, 2006.

All Corolla sedans, hatches and wagons produced from October 2005 deliver 7kW less peak power (now 93kW) and 10Nm less peak

torque (now 161Nm) than their predecessors. As a consolation for its downgraded performance, acceleration and, potentially, resale

value, Toyota claims the 2006 Corolla is more environmentally friendly than many of its smallcar rivals as it now meets Euro IV emissions standards not due in force here until 2008.

However, a GoAuto investigation conducted this month has revealed that the flagship of the Corolla range, the five-door Sportivo, will not grace Toyota showrooms this year, following the failure of its 141kW 1.8-litre engine to meet the new ADR. An all-new Corolla is due in the fi rst quarter of 2007, when a Sportivo model should re-emerge after a 12-month absence.

GONE:

Ford Econovan

Ford Courier four-cylinder

Holden Adventra V8

Kia Pregio

Mazda E Series

Mazda B Series four-cylinder

Mitsubishi Express 2.0

Toyota Corolla Sportivo

DETUNED:

Holden Adventra V6 (down 2kW/10Nm)

Holden Crewman/S/Cross6 (down 3kW)

Holden Ute/Ute S (down 3kW)

Holden Commodore/Acclaim/Berlina

sedan and wagon (down 3kW)

Holden Commodore SV6 (down 5Nm)

Holden Calais/Statesman/Caprice V6

(down 5Nm)

Nissan Patrol 4.8 (down 5kW/20Nm)

Nissan X-Trail (down 9kW/15Nm)

Toyota Corolla (down 7kW/10Nm)

Toyota LandCruiser diesel (down 10Nm)

Toyota LandCruiser turbo-diesel (down 1kW)

From latest GoAuto

GoAuto last month reported Toyota’s Corolla– Australia’s top-selling small car – had been detuned to meet the new Euro III-equivalent Australian Design Rule (ADR 79/01) Emissions Control for Light Vehicles, which came into effect on January 1, 2006.

All Corolla sedans, hatches and wagons produced from October 2005 deliver 7kW less peak power (now 93kW) and 10Nm less peak

torque (now 161Nm) than their predecessors. As a consolation for its downgraded performance, acceleration and, potentially, resale

value, Toyota claims the 2006 Corolla is more environmentally friendly than many of its smallcar rivals as it now meets Euro IV emissions standards not due in force here until 2008.

However, a GoAuto investigation conducted this month has revealed that the flagship of the Corolla range, the five-door Sportivo, will not grace Toyota showrooms this year, following the failure of its 141kW 1.8-litre engine to meet the new ADR. An all-new Corolla is due in the fi rst quarter of 2007, when a Sportivo model should re-emerge after a 12-month absence.

GONE:

Ford Econovan

Ford Courier four-cylinder

Holden Adventra V8

Kia Pregio

Mazda E Series

Mazda B Series four-cylinder

Mitsubishi Express 2.0

Toyota Corolla Sportivo

DETUNED:

Holden Adventra V6 (down 2kW/10Nm)

Holden Crewman/S/Cross6 (down 3kW)

Holden Ute/Ute S (down 3kW)

Holden Commodore/Acclaim/Berlina

sedan and wagon (down 3kW)

Holden Commodore SV6 (down 5Nm)

Holden Calais/Statesman/Caprice V6

(down 5Nm)

Nissan Patrol 4.8 (down 5kW/20Nm)

Nissan X-Trail (down 9kW/15Nm)

Toyota Corolla (down 7kW/10Nm)

Toyota LandCruiser diesel (down 10Nm)

Toyota LandCruiser turbo-diesel (down 1kW)

Yeah, I subscribe to GoAuto too, and its unbelievable how behind the times they are! We knew all this, what, November 05 or earlier, and they're "investigation" only digs up this info in March 06? :P

I wouldn't say this is the death of the 2ZZGE by any means, more Toyota not wanting to spend the money upgrading the engine to suit emissions changes for the small number of 2ZZ models they sell in Australia. The 1ZZ was worth it because the rest of the Rolla range is Toyota's passenger car "bread and butter".

Besides, the Yaris is about to get the 1ZZ, in 100kW form, shortly, so Toyota obviously has plans with that motor, plus they sell the 2ZZ to Lotus and are continuing with the T-Sport in other markets, both of which are worth much more to them than the few Sportivos they sell in Australia.

However, with the new Rolla's looking like going to the AZ series engines, it looks like the 2ZZ is dead as far as the Rolla is concerned.

Luckily, we have strong Toyota supporters like Northy who are going to ensure a steady supply of 2ZZ's coming to Australia in the aftermarket! :lol:

Also don't you think it strange that ford has fixed it's engines and got more kw out and better fuel economy - so with the right money all is possible.

B...... Toyota now that I'm used to this kind of power and fuel economy I'll be looking elsewhere for next upgrade (which normally would be now but holding off due to having to pay private school fees for two kids at the mo.)

Also don't you think it strange that ford has fixed it's engines and got more kw out and better fuel economy - so with the right money all is possible.

B...... Toyota now that I'm used to this kind of power and fuel economy I'll be looking elsewhere for next upgrade (which normally would be now but holding off due to having to pay private school fees for two kids at the mo.)

man - sportivo doesnt meet compliance but celica does? cmon!

man - sportivo doesnt meet compliance but celica does? cmon!

With the end of the Celica being imminent, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any 06 built Celicas, which would need to comply with the new rules.

Toyota may well have over ordered on 05 models to cover any interest until it comes off the market.