Suspension Struts for 1993 SXV10 Toyota Camry Wagon.

Jim-0000

My 1993 Camry requires replacement suspension struts. It has done 200,000klms.

I am trying to find identification details before purchasing new ones online.

There are a set advertised here on ebay.com.au:   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275255982841?hash=item401688faf9%3Ag%3ADEMAAOSw-5dgERns&fits=Year%3A1993|Model%3ACamry|Make%3AToyota

On my vehicle, the front and rear are slight different.

Are the ones shown suitable for both front and rear?  Or do I have to look for two fronts and two rear separately?

Jim.

In 99.9% of cases, suspension units are different front and rear.  The coilovers in the eBay ad are for a full kit of 4 (2 front, 2 rear) and you can see slight differences in the pictures between the two (top hat design, brake hose/sway bar tabs etc).

HOWEVER - that ad is for a set of coilovers, not factory replacement struts.  They replace both your existing struts and springs, and are designed to be a "performance" product for improved handling, lowered ride height etc - if you're just looking to replace worn-out factory struts you need something like KYB, Gabriel or Monroe struts, not coilovers (note that replacement struts are often sold in pairs, coilovers almost always in full sets).

Also, they're **** - if you really want proper decent coilovers you're normally looking at $1k+, maXpeedingrods are cheap for a reason and are basically only for people who want to slam their ride and think they're hardcore drifters but can't save enough money on their Maccas burger-flipper wage.

Thanks for the prompt reply Hiro.

I am not looking for performance or lowering of my already low Camry. I live in a country area with bad road conditions. If anything, I would prefer to raise my car, not lower it.

It does appear from your reply that I should look elsewhere. I will see if my local dealer stock Gabriel or Monroe struts. More when I have done that.

Jim.

Yeah, if you're travelling on typical country backroads you do _not_ want coilovers, especially not cheap eBay-specials (which have a tendency to be bone-rattlingly hard)

29 minutes ago, Jim-0000 said:

It does appear from your reply that I should look elsewhere. I will see if my local dealer stock Gabriel or Monroe struts. More when I have done that.

My local spare parts shop stocks two brands: Sachs and KYB.

They ask me to find out if mine are rotating spring seats or fixed. Mine appear to be fixed, but I am not sure.

Jim.

• 1 month later...

Put the front end on jack stands, ensure wheels are off the ground. Turn wheels left and right. If the spring rotates with the strut, you have fixed seats. If they don't, you have rotating spring seats.

KYBs are pretty good, well suited for everyday driving and even a bit of thrashing if you like to have a bit of fun. I know you're not looking for performance, but if you or anyone else still has a camry and want a bit of performance struts...look for tokico blues. HB3179 and HB3180 for right and left front struts respectively. Had them installed on my old camry and man that thing stayed planted around corners. Tokico no longer make shocks though so your only option is hunting on ebay or something.

If you have a spring compressor and a powerful cordless impact to remove the struts from the vehicle, you can save yourself a fair bit of money doing everything yourself. Just don't use the impact with the spring compressor. The job isn't terribly difficult, it just takes a lot of time, longest part would be compressing and decompressing the springs.

Edited by Ed.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, Ed. said:

Put the front end on jack stands, ensure wheels are off the ground. Turn wheels left and right. If the spring rotates with the strut, you have fixed seats. If they don't, you have rotating spring seats.

KYBs are pretty good, well suited for everyday driving and even a bit of thrashing if you like to have a bit of fun. I know you're not looking for performance, but if you or anyone else still has a camry and want a bit of performance struts...look for tokico blues. HB3179 and HB3180 for right and left front struts respectively. Had them installed on my old camry and man that thing stayed planted around corners. Tokico no longer make shocks though so your only option is hunting on ebay or something.

If you have a spring compressor and a powerful cordless impact to remove the struts from the vehicle, you can save yourself a fair bit of money doing everything yourself. Just don't use the impact with the spring compressor. The job isn't terribly difficult, it just takes a lot of time, longest part would be compressing and decompressing the springs.

Ed,

Thanks for the reply with good information.

I have had the suspect strut out of the car and we fitted a new top mount. Removing and re-fitting the strut itself was a simple enough task.

Replacing the top mount did nothing to the noise, which is still occurring.

I replaced this top mount after two mechanics suggested that was the problem. It is now fairly clear that the strut itself needs replacing.

I will follow up on the KYB struts and probably order a pair of them for the front. Not sure yet, but that will likely fix it.

More later..........

Jim.

Edited by Jim-0000