Car alarm going off randomly

My 09 Aurion car alarm has been going off randomly. battery is fine, I have dropped the key a few times times, could it have anything to do with something may be broken inside the key holder?

Hi Steve, I would imagine that the security system is detecting a breach in one of the doors, hood or boot and the only thing I can think is that perhaps one of the switches could have dodgy contacts causing an intermittent connection. The system is detecting an open circuit from one of those apertures I suspect.

You could try bridging out one switch at a time and see if this will help flush out this potential problem. Start with the bonnet. Unplug the wiring from the bonnet switch and insert a small length of wire into both sides of the plug for continuity then arm the vehicle with he rest of the doors and boot shut of course, and see what happens. If it still alarms, put the plug it back on and move on to a door and just keep going till you've done them all and see what happens.

I doubt it's the key fob. They can handle some punishment. If the key fob arms and disarms the vehicle then it's ok.

It's not a sophisticated alarm so the most likely trigger will be a switching trigger somewhere. That's my theory anyway.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update

i finally got around to taking my car in to see what was causing my alarm to go off. So it turns out it was the hood latch sensor. the sensor was bad due to a leaking radiator cap (which just happens to be above the sensor in the general area) dripping onto the sensor over a long period of time, And you could see the dried white powder (coolant) all around the latch and sensor.

So new latch, sensor and  cap.

Edited by Henstepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1