Air intake system ideas

Angrysubie64

Hello everybody, I own a 2000 Toyota Celica SX and I am just wondering what would be the best cold air intake system. I've looked around across the internet and I think I want to go with either an AEM or Injen. But I can't find any AEM filters on any Australian carmod websites. Yes, I know there are AEM intake systems for the Celica, but they fit mainly on the GT-S Celica which is an American trim of the Celica. Any tips and advice? Thanks.

P.S I am very new at modding my Celica btw.

An intake for the US-spec GTS _should_ fit an Australian-delivered Celica (SX or ZR) since they both use the 2ZZGE engine (the GT in the 'states has the 1ZZ).  There might be some slight sensor differences however

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

An intake for the US-spec GTS _should_ fit an Australian-delivered Celica (SX or ZR) since they both use the 2ZZGE engine (the GT in the 'states has the 1ZZ).  There might be some slight sensor differences however

What do you mean by ‘slight sensor differences’?

And what should I do to fix up the slight sensor difference issue?

4 hours ago, Angrysubie64 said:

What do you mean by ‘slight sensor differences’?

And what should I do to fix up the slight sensor difference issue?

I'm just covering my ***** in case there are little differences between US- and Aus-market 2ZZs, things like emissions packages etc.  For instance, 03+ US-market Celicas had drive-by-wire throttles (like the Aus-market 1ZZs on the facelift ZZE Corollas) whereas all Aus-market 2ZZs stayed cable-throttle.

44 minutes ago, Hiro said:

I'm just covering my ***** in case there are little differences between US- and Aus-market 2ZZs, things like emissions packages etc.  For instance, 03+ US-market Celicas had drive-by-wire throttles (like the Aus-market 1ZZs on the facelift ZZE Corollas) whereas all Aus-market 2ZZs stayed cable-throttle.

Okay, thanks. But would it still be worth buying AEM intake system from the States if I can't find one here in Australia, or should I go with Injen?

The Injen and AEM systems were most likely both developed for the US market (as both are US companies), so there is likely no difference in fitment/compatibility between the two.

If you're having trouble locating a brand one, you could always get an exhaust shop to do a custom CAI which will likely end up being the same price or even less and you can have it how you want. Just be sure to keep the intake size either 2.75" all round or if you use 3", have a 2.75" reducer at the MAF sensor so it doesn't cause issues.

Edited by Squalled

On 5/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Squalled said:

If you're having trouble locating a brand one, you could always get an exhaust shop to do a custom CAI which will likely end up being the same price or even less and you can have it how you want. Just be sure to keep the intake size either 2.75" all round or if you use 3", have a 2.75" reducer at the MAF sensor so it doesn't cause issues.

What does 'CAI' stand for?