U66OE tranny acts weird

RoicyQ

Hello, this is my first time making threads like this, but this forum immensely helps me to service and acquire tips for my 2008 Camry 3.5q (Philippine model), I am from the Philippines and I actually daily drive this Toyota Camry of mine everyday and I would love to preserve this car for longevity since it is really a good car in my opinion hoping it will do service for me for a longtime. Well my tranny kinda acts weird when it is shifting into 2nd gear like it is jolting when transitioning to 2nd gear, and when I step on the gas and subsequently remove my foot it actually flares (fyi I have a Fujita cold air intake if that helps). Kinda scared if this transmission will give up on me on a busy road or highway, hence I really need your help guys, thank you in advance (71236 km on the clock).

Hi Roice, Have you serviced the transmission? changed the fluid and filter? the idea of a sealed for life transmission is not true as what do you regard as a lifetime sealed transmission? I am sure others will throw their brilliant minds to this issue for you as well but at least we can eliminate things if you provide more information about service history. So let us know what you can about what the issue is as in noises does it jump in other gears besides 2nd gear things like that.

KAA

12 hours ago, KAA said:

provide more information about service history.

Information about the service history of the transmission and your vehicle would be useful.

Do you have any servicing information? What is the odometer reading?

If the transmission fluid was recently changed, I would say that the fluid level is not correct. If so, the fluid level needs to be re-checked and add 200ml of ATF. Also the correct type of ATF with the Toyota WS specification has to be used.

• Like 1

Thank you for your inputs guys, well I just got this car from a relative (I’m the 2nd owner basically) and it’s service records is quite hard to reach from the Toyota dealer (they said that it will take some processing in order to obtain its record after demanding it from them and the such) but my relative said that the ATF wasn’t changed since day one from the dealer. My aforementioned problems seldom occurs tho. It doesn’t make any noises in changing gears but it jolts. 

My question also, if changing the transmission fluid (considering the fact that it wasn’t changed since day one (14 years) from the factory) will do damage?, while I was researching there were some who opined in this forum that fluid that was not changed that long should not be replaced due to the probability that the transmission will be damaged per se from the new fluid that will be poured in.

7 hours ago, RoicyQ said:

My aforementioned problems seldom occurs tho. It doesn’t make any noises in changing gears but it jolts. 

My question also, if changing the transmission fluid (considering the fact that it wasn’t changed since day one (14 years) from the factory) will do damage?, while I was researching there were some who opined in this forum that fluid that was not changed that long should not be replaced due to the probability that the transmission will be damaged per se from the new fluid that will be poured in.

I can very highly expect that the transmission fluid level is low and needs to be corrected. This would explain the jolting.

The transmission fluid needs to be changed. However, at this stage DO NOT FLUSH the transmission which would replace all of the old fluid with new. Instead, what I would recommend is to only perform a drain of the transmission. This will replace about 2+ litres given that the overall fluid capacity of the transmission including the torque convertor is 6.1 litres. Perform another pan drain of the transmission every 12 months. Very important that the fluid level is correct.

Following YouTube video by The Car Nut who is a Toyota Master Technician in the USA has a section on the transmission fluid.