Turbo actuator solonoid fault - do I have to replace turbo?

mcbloss

Hi there,

We had the engine light come on on our 2010 Hilux 4x4 SR 3 diesel & though it went out it was read as a faulty turbo actuator solonoid.

The Toyota service team (who we've used since new & have been great, though have had a few staff changes recently) have said they can't replace the actuator separately & have to replace the whole turbo, at an all up cost of almost $4k.

I can't find a lot online, but I can see the actuators for sale.  Does anyone know if we indeed can't just replace that, or why we can't - do we really have to replace the turbo? My mechanical knowledge is pretty limited, so be kind 🙂

Thanks!!!

rose

I was told by Toyota that they won't sell actuator separately only as a whole all up we paid nearly $7,000 with Labor don't know if Hilux are the same as my HiAce if it is you might want to check wiring loom that runs behind pulleys beside timing cover mine had touched and chewed through and shorted out turbo controller goodluck 

Yikes. My OH is away so might get a mate to have a look over it. They didn't even really look at it when I took it in, so I guess we will find out more when they replace the turbo (I booked it in for a couple of weeks time). I spoke to another Toyota guy today (as our local one didn't seem interested in discussing it with me), & he said that often the actuator goes because of a problem with the turbo.  My mechanical knowledge doesn't extend much past my old trusty '76 Corona - back when most of us could at least give it a go under the bonnet. 

1 hour ago, mcbloss said:

Yikes. My OH is away so might get a mate to have a look over it. They didn't even really look at it when I took it in, so I guess we will find out more when they replace the turbo (I booked it in for a couple of weeks time). I spoke to another Toyota guy today (as our local one didn't seem interested in discussing it with me), & he said that often the actuator goes because of a problem with the turbo.  My mechanical knowledge doesn't extend much past my old trusty '76 Corona - back when most of us could at least give it a go under the bonnet. 

same but my knowledge is pretty basic self taught