Large amount of water found rear passenger footwell 06 Aurion at-X

Dan F

Hey fellow Toyota Owners

i have recently purchased this car I live in the barossa valley and yes it’s been raining a lot. Had it just over a month and today are a pretty big storm I have noticed this water. It isn’t anywhere else in the car just the back passenger seat foot well almost a pool of it. It’s on the drivers side. Car does not have sunroof. To my knowledge all doors where fuller closed and windows up.

not sure where the water is coming in only guess is door seal. Have checked by they all look the same. Am now doing my best to get rid of the water. 

would appreciate any knowledge, thoughts, things to look at?

would like to fix the problem 

we do have a Toyota dealer up here if I need more detailed look 

Edited by Dan F
Spello

Probably the window not shutting all the way up or the weatherstrip is gone if it was in the front I would say the heater core is leaking

Edited by Henstepper

7 hours ago, Dan F said:

It isn’t anywhere else in the car just the back passenger seat foot well almost a pool of it. It’s on the drivers side.

If it's ONLY in the back passenger floor behind driver's seat, then that's bit of a mystery. It may be trickling into the back from the front via the openings and indentations on the floor pan.

Have you had a thorough check of the area in and around the front foot well ?

If your heater core is leaking, then you'd have the tell tale smell of coolant and the colour too, depending on whether it's SLL (Pink) or whatever else has been put in  there. Try soaking up some liquid with some paper towel and see.
Your car will probably start to overheat due to coolant loss too. Check coolant level.

If it's just water, then you have a leaking seal somewhere. if it's strictly only in the back, then poke around the rear windscreen seal in around inside the boot and right rear door seals.

You may also have to pull the back seat and have someone spray water on the back half of the car and see if any gets in.

Let us know what you find.

Sorry for the delay have tried to update this post several times but seems now all of them are getting submitted correctly.

Update 1:

Went to Toyota dealer in Tanunda near to where I live have attached the report.

have organized for windscreen to be replaced next week meantime I’m not driving the car and trying to get some of the carpet up to give it all a good chance to dry out.

Seems I can’t upload the picture I took of the service report so here’s the TXT instead:

”WATER LEAKING INTO RHR FOOTWELL AREA
Lifted vehicle on hoist and inspected fitment of all underneath bungs into
body, all good
Pulled back drivers footwell carpet and found he area to be very wet.
Inspected A/C drain and found that to be clear of debris and blockges.
Poured water over windscreen on RHS and found a small trail of water
running down RHF A pillar.

Recommend getting the windscreen resealed or replaced and resealed. Non
genuine screen fitted.”

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Dan F said:

windscreen to be replaced next week meantime I’m not driving the car and trying to get some of the carpet up to give it all a good chance to dry out.

Definitely a good idea to replace the front windscreen if is not up to OEM standard.

Hopefully you will have some warm weather so you can leave the car out in the sunshine.

Any moisture that condenses on the glass overnight can be wiped off in the morning. I have recently used tissues/toilet paper for this purpose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay sorry for the delay the site doesn’t seem to like mobile phone posts. 

have gotten windscreen replaced via insurance (windscreen O’brien) everything seems to be correct and genuine now. 

had the car at my dads before doing this with back seat removed carpet in front and back raised up left to dry for some days. In the end replaced some of the thinker underlay type material as per advice was told that this may take a lot longer to dry out. (Even after two weeks lots of newspaper and airing out it was the think underlay was still soaked all through) 

been a fair few weeks with the new windscreen cabin is dry and staying dry we have had lots of rain here so hoping this was the end of the issue.

• 4 weeks later...