Aurion Performance Suspension & Exhaust

SX6flyer

Hello All, You want to make your Aurion 40 or 50 series handle and get rid of that unwanted Understeer, so it feels more like driving a GT (Grand Tourer) than a every day family sedan.
Just completed the Suspension upgrade on my 50 Sportivo SX6.
*Installed Super Pro Front Control Arm, Lower Inner Rear Bush Kit with Double Offset.
*Hardrace 19mm Rear Adjustable Sway Bar with connecting White Line Adjustable Extra Heavy Duty Sway Bar Links.
The wheel alignment technician then did a four wheel alignment giving the car positive castor on both sides with steering geometry dead centre through the middle.
Well took the car for a test drive through some twisty open road under extra throttle and the difference from standard was completely outstanding. The Aurion never once felt nervous with minimal body roll and crisp predictable steering.
Guys if you want your beloved Aurion to be the goods, you MUST do this Suspension Upgrade. Your tyres will also perform and last a whole lot longer, as your tyres tread is planted nice and flush to the road.
I also have completed my performance exhaust system, with a notable improvement over the standard. 👍
Will post a run down and a sound video shortly ! I now have writers cramp in my fingers 🤣

E3B2FE09-F755-43D9-8618-40376F6F99B9.png

DA9A0D60-4B3E-486A-8497-C88D82B6AA4E.png

FD3B2C57-3A65-4F66-A39C-0AF36ED33AEC.png

FB7D11E2-7D1A-4313-BE99-43863077CC0B.jpeg

5B387586-9119-4E57-A4EC-3D062DEE3269.jpeg

28FC3D42-3242-4B69-8BE3-E05B0548492F.jpeg

7C6AECBD-190B-4342-A715-BFD58AB6C6AC.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SX6flyer said:

Hello All, You want to make your Aurion 40 or 50 series handle and get rid of that unwanted Understeer, so it feels more like driving a GT (Grand Tourer) than a every day family sedan.
*Installed Super Pro Front Control Arm, Lower Inner Rear Bush Kit with Double Offset.
*Hardrace 19mm Rear Adjustable Sway Bar with connecting White Line Adjustable Extra Heavy Duty Sway Bar Links.

I've always wondered what set up would actually work because it's really hard to know for sure if a particular set up does actually justify the vast amount of money needed to do this. I for one do advocate real world scenarios, just like this and I wanted to say thank you for sharing your set up and transformation. This will certainly give credence to anyone else seeking the same result without the shot gun approach of the salespeople of the industry.

Tell, me, do you really feel the difference with the double offset rear bushings as opposed to the standard bush ?

Also, does the wheel alignment settings change from factory to a more custom setting each time it needs to be wheel aligned ?
Not sure how this works, for one, to optimise the setup and two, not chew the tyres out prematurely.

• Like 1

G’Day Tony,

well written mate.

I am 64yrs and still love the trill and interest of trying to make an already well engineered car, perform better.

yes it is a notable improvement with the new bush kit, both with crisp sharp steering over the original factory set up.

The new wheel alignment set up will stay in that new position over the factory alignment position as you now have a double offset bush setup.

As for tyre ware, you will have a lot better tyre stance on the road surface, as your tyres thread will sit more flush to the surface of the road.

this performance bush kit gives positive castor on both sides of your car, which in hand gives perfect geometry through your steering.

cheers, mate 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SX6flyer said:

The new wheel alignment set up will stay in that new position over the factory alignment position as you now have a double offset bush setup.

Just not clear on what what the numbers should be though. Is it up to the discretion of the guy conducting the wheel alignment or did you have a set criteria of numbers ?

I'm pretty sure from memory that the rear wheels have some toe in, not sure about castor though. The standard front end has limited adjustability, isn't this correct ?

I have heard of people installing camber kits, but not sure how this would benefit a daily driver and help keep tyre wear to a minimum or help improve it. 

Funny thing to say, but I would love an opportunity to drive a car just like yours with those mods to be able to compare to mine. 

I know the stock Aurion is a bit cumbersome on the road, but we don't drive it hard or fast, even though I have a history of being a lead foot lol...
It's just a magnificent vehicle and I don't want to be too hard on it. Trying to preserve it as best I can because we intend to keep it a long time.

I am open to the idea of a suspension upgrade though, just not ready to do it now. I may just purchase the bits as I go and when I have everything, I will spend the day installing then off to the wheel alignment  joint for a tweak.

I don't remember, but I believe the Sportivo has slightly shorter struts than that of the ATX, Touring, Prodigy and Presara. I know the anti roll bars are also different too.

So perhaps your set up may have a slight edge over the other configurations maybe ??

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:47 AM, SX6flyer said:

The wheel alignment technician then did a four wheel alignment giving the car positive castor on both sides with steering geometry dead centre through the middle.
Well took the car for a test drive through some twisty open road under extra throttle and the difference from standard was completely outstanding. The Aurion never once felt nervous with minimal body roll and crisp predictable steering.
Guys if you want your beloved Aurion to be the goods, you MUST do this Suspension Upgrade. Your tyres will also perform and last a whole lot longer, as your tyres tread is planted nice and flush to the road.
I also have completed my performance exhaust system, with a notable improvement over the standard. 👍
Will post a run down and a sound video shortly ! I now have writers cramp in my fingers 🤣

E3B2FE09-F755-43D9-8618-40376F6F99B9.png

DA9A0D60-4B3E-486A-8497-C88D82B6AA4E.png

FD3B2C57-3A65-4F66-A39C-0AF36ED33AEC.png

FB7D11E2-7D1A-4313-BE99-43863077CC0B.jpeg

5B387586-9119-4E57-A4EC-3D062DEE3269.jpeg

28FC3D42-3242-4B69-8BE3-E05B0548492F.jpeg

7C6AECBD-190B-4342-A715-BFD58AB6C6AC.jpeg

Hey there I’m thinking of doing this just doing some research, you said new rear sway bar, and sway bar links, the sway bar in the supplied photos is for the rear but the sway bar links in the photo are front ones, was that a mistake or did you get front sway bar links?

13 hours ago, Julianw said:

but the sway bar links in the photo are front ones

How did you figure that ? You can clearly see them mounted with the rear sway bar. 

I think from memory, the front sway bar links are shorter than the rear. Someone else can probably confirm this.

35 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

How did you figure that ? You can clearly see them mounted with the rear sway bar. 

I think from memory, the front sway bar links are shorter than the rear. Someone else can probably confirm this.

Sorry not trying to undermine you just I searched the part number up for those sway bar links on shared box and it said they were front sway bar links 🙂

5 minutes ago, Julianw said:

Sorry not trying to undermine you just I searched the part number up for those sway bar links on shared box and it said they were front sway bar links 🙂

Not at all. You are correct. That part number is showing as being front links. The rear links are KLC-163. 

I just suspect the O.P just uploaded the wrong photo, but they both look very similar. Not sure about the lengths though as I haven't measured mine to know which one is longer or shorter, so You would be best advised to purchase as they are listed and if Spares box makes an error in the listing then it would be up to them to correct it.

On 6/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, SX6flyer said:

G’Day Tony,

well written mate.

I am 64yrs and still love the trill and interest of trying to make an already well engineered car, perform better.

yes it is a notable improvement with the new bush kit, both with crisp sharp steering over the original factory set up.

As for tyre ware, you will have a lot better tyre stance on the road surface, as your tyres thread will sit more flush to the surface of the road.

this performance bush kit gives positive castor on both sides of your car, which in hand gives perfect geometry through your steering.

cheers, mate 👍

Take it from another old timer (63 years old.)..I own a 3500SL TRD and if you want better handling from an Aurion ...learn how to push/force a Front wheel drive car into and out of a corner...It's all about throttle and brakes to keep the the weight on your driving wheels...I've had a late model BMW chase me up Dorigo mountain and he followed me into the next servo to find out WTF I was driving...  

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, SX6flyer said:

As Tony has mentioned, would be lovely to see what the target alignment #'s are for your new setup as many in the industry have no idea & are only drip fed the often incorrect factory info which is displayed on the monitor in front of them.

Did you also have the "brittle" dampers & nervous steering on your GSV50R series1 driving on average roads ?

Sounds promising though as you're not the first to have done an adjustable castor offset up front with a heftier rear sway bar 😉 Many thanks for the writeup 👍

• 1 month later...