Coolant Leak 2008 Aurion

3 hours ago, Hiro said:

There is something worse - getting 3/4 of the way apart and realising you need a special tool/part, AND you can't put it back together because something has to be replaced (as a consumable) or broken...

All the more reason to get prepared well and truly before diving in. Have all your ducks in a row..

On 8/2/2022 at 7:55 AM, Jacaranda said:

When you say Toyota made an upgraded water pump, would that equate to better reliability?

Here's that Video I mentioned the other day regarding the water pump upgrade.

This video showcases the whole procedure of the water pump replacement, but if you scroll to 21:03 AMD talks about the very updgraded part.

So, it's the "Petal" designed flange water pump you want. It has a more robust designed bearing and seal than the older style "round" flange water pump.

19 minutes ago, Jacaranda said:

Just had a look and I got the petal pulley. I hope they didn't put a petal pulley on the old style water pump. 🤔🤣

No. It's a flange and not a pulley to be exact. There's no way Toyota would do that, believe me. If they did, then it would be called out pretty quickly by all the Youtubers, especially that of The Car Care Nut guy. He is very fastidious and a firm believer in using Toyota Genuine parts. Also, in his job as a master Technician, he is across ALL the developments in the industry, which also extends to parts bulletins from Toyota directly.

If you have the Petal designed flanged water pump, then you have the better, upgraded unit 100%

• Like 1

Well I'm confused. The guy in the video is pointing out the difference between the pulleys. The upgraded water pump pulley sure looks like a petal shape to me. As I said, I have no mechanical experience 🤔

On 8/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, Jacaranda said:

Well I'm confused. The guy in the video is pointing out the difference between the pulleys. The upgraded water pump pulley sure looks like a petal shape to me. As I said, I have no mechanical experience 🤔

As Tony previously mentioned, it is the flange that has changed from being a round shape to a "petal" type design. The pulley bolts onto this flange.

Following YouTube video explains the water/coolant pumps in great detail. Presenter is quite animated in his voice and hand movements. 😇

This YouTube video about the tear down of the 2GR-FE engine appeared in my viewing list. Presumably, the water pump failed or there was a significant coolant leak and the owner continued driving. The engine overheated resulting in blown head gaskets. Surprising how clean the valve covers and timing gear is but still sludge is present in the piston rings and other engine internals.

• Like 2

Haha, nice video ash. I've watched a few of his videos in recent times. He certainly knows his way around engines and knowledgeable too. 

It looks like it got the upgraded water pump, but it was too late by then lol... Bonus for him too as he can keep it for his car, as he stated 😁

I don't think he likes his wife all that much either, cos in all his videos, he always references using his "wife's" dresses for mopping up the oil mess 😆

The owner of that engine drove it to death while the pump was leaking, slowly losing coolant over time elevating the engine temperature. Such a shame because the the top end was practically mint.
You can see how the sludge started forming in the sump and around the skirts of the pistons as a result of the coolant mixing into the oil, burning off, and finding its way into the lower sections. Higher than normal operating temperature over time warping the block creating seepage.

It's a shame it took Toyota this long to provide an upgraded water pump. I wonder how many other 2GR's grenaded due to the rubbish water pumps before this.

Nevertheless, He's pretty impressed by how well built and strong the 2GR-FE is, but they do have their vulnerabilities with the complex lubricating system, which is why you need to keep on top of the maintenance, especially the regular oil changes !

6 bolt mains too !! 💪

• Like 3

Supa clean top end of the engine, if only the owner kept an eye on the coolant level & acted once noticing it missing. I love SpeedKar, so much knowledge on Toyota motors & great informative videos.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Supa clean top end of the engine, if only the owner kept an eye on the coolant level & acted once noticing it missing. I love SpeedKar, so much knowledge on Toyota motors & great informative videos.

I was very impressed with how clean the cylinder head and valve cover was, particularly when compared to what my engine was like. I thought that it was testament to the frequency and quality of the previous oil changes so not exactly indicative of an indifferent neglectful owner. If the cylinder head and valve cover had heaps of oil sludge then I would not have been so surprised about the engine teardown.

Unfortunately not enough background information/history to confirm whether the engine overheated before the change of water pump or shortly afterwards.

Main learning from this video is the importance of regular fluid level checks to top up as required and detect any leaks. Definitely cheaper to fix/monitor any coolant leaks before the engine overheats. I am a bit pedantic or OCD so I usually check every week or fortnight as I have an "elderly" 2006 vehicle. Always monitoring the engine oil and coolant level in the overflow bottle. No dipstick on the transmission but I am continuously monitoring the smoothness of the gear changes.

• Like 1

Every time I wash my car, usually every 2-3 weeks (depends on weather), I raise the bonnet to chamois all the accumulated water on the edges etc & it is here that I do my visual checks. If coolant is missing it will certainly be obvious, same with brake fluid & engine oil to a lesser extent since I already know it doesn't use any. Every 2 weeks minimum is a good time frame for a quick sticky-beak regardless 😉

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Every time I wash my car, usually every 2-3 weeks (depends on weather)

I've been pretty slack of late. Haven't washed the Aurion in months :surprise:

I'm planning a full decon and paint correction soon with the view to apply a ceramic coating so it's more robust protection and aid in making my maintenance washes a little easier.

I'll post up when I do,

• Like 1

Tony I am in the same position having not washed Faye in months, mostly due to it being bloody cold or pouring rain about. So she is overdue for a wash and check over. I do however have the Flex wax coating on her so she doesn't look dirty just very light dirt on the wheel's lower body so should be fairly easy. I also when drying her open the bonnet to wipe off the water and she gets a good look over then for anything odd.

Looking forward to your Pic's of the wash and Ceramic Coating applied she will glow well for sure mate.

KAA

10 hours ago, KAA said:

Tony I am in the same position having not washed Faye in months, mostly due to it being bloody cold or pouring rain about.

Same here Rob. Weeks of continuous/ intermittent rain and the tyranny of life events have hindered my routine. 

10 hours ago, KAA said:

I do however have the Flex wax coating on her so she doesn't look dirty just very light dirt on the wheel's lower body so should be fairly easy. I also when drying her open the bonnet to wipe off the water and she gets a good look over then for anything odd.

My coating has long since gone to God mate. It's flat as a tack right now. I have some Avalonking Armour Shield ceramic coating sitting here, so I might as well put  it to work.

I'm going to get a friend to help me with this one as it's going to require more elbow grease then normal. Full decontamination, clay bar, machine polish, coating including the wheels. Engine bay  will also get a clean too. Then there's the interior....
I might tackle that before I head over to his place for the exterior treatment.

10 hours ago, KAA said:

Looking forward to your Pic's of the wash and Ceramic Coating applied she will glow well for sure mate.

For sure mate. There will be quite a few I imagine 😄

• Thanks 1

Tony my friend there can never be too many Pic's of your beauty, hope all goes well with the full treatment. Yes have seen a few videos of the Avalon king Ceramic and it looks a good product so let me know what you think when all done.

Keep Safe Keep Strong Mate

KAA

• Thanks 1