2013 camry Atara R oil change

TONEDEAF2

8 hours ago, TONEDEAF2 said:

Hi, I have a 2013 Camry Atara R with 150000 on the clock and was wondering, what would be the best grade of oil to put in on my next oil change ?.

5w-30 my friend. Your owners handbook will explain this if you have one.

I would always recommend using a high quality fully synthetic oil too. No need to spend too much either if you keep an eye out on oil specials regularly dished out by the usual outlets, such as Supercheap, Repco and Autobarn, you can pick up a bargain. 

I try and advocate for supporting local business and hence my personal recommendation for oil brands would be Penrite or Nulon. I know there are other fancier brands, but it's your choice. When on special, you can save up to 40% off regular retail. In this case, you can do what some of us do and stock up while the getting is good.

I've been using Nulon in my Aurion for many years and it's coming up to 150K on the ODO and my engine is pristine internally. No varnish or sludge build up at all. testament to the ongoing quality of the Nulon brand.

I will also recommend you change your oil between every 5k to 8k (max 10K) to prevent any potential for sludge build up, especially if you do lots of short trips. 
Do not follow the stupid log book service intervals of 15K !! That is a trap many fall into and engine damage (high varnish and sludge) can occur because many will never change the oil on time and this tends to lead into complacency and in effect end up doing oil changes at a much higher interval than the already stupid 15k interval.

So stock up on oil when it's on sale, get yourself some quality oil filters and there's no excuse not to do regular oil changes if you are a DIY kind of person.

All the best :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, TONEDEAF2 said:

I have also noticed, since the last oil change(done by a garage using hi-tec 10w-30) that my car is now using some oil. Could this be because of the type of oil ?

It's hard to say, but typically it shouldn't. There may be something else attributable to the oil loss. Check your seals, you could also have a weeping gasket perhaps or you may possibly have some sludge build up in your piston rings and not sealing properly.

Again hard to say, not knowing the service history or mileage of the vehicle makes for difficult diagnosis.

I'd recommend to include an engine flush product in your next oil service. This will help reduce any sludge and varnish and may improve things a bit.

If you're sure there are no oil leaks, stick with a regimented regular oil service plan, include the engine flush and use a high quality oil such as the ones I've recommended.

I've been using Nulon in my 2GR-FE and it doesn't use a drop. It will help keep your engine cleaner and if done regularly, prolong it's useable life too.

22 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's hard to say, but typically it shouldn't. There may be something else attributable to the oil loss. Check your seals, you could also have a weeping gasket perhaps or you may possibly have some sludge build up in your piston rings and not sealing properly.

Again hard to say, not knowing the service history or mileage of the vehicle makes for difficult diagnosis.

I'd recommend to include an engine flush product in your next oil service. This will help reduce any sludge and varnish and may improve things a bit.

If you're sure there are no oil leaks, stick with a regimented regular oil service plan, include the engine flush and use a high quality oil such as the ones I've recommended.

I've been using Nulon in my 2GR-FE and it doesn't use a drop. It will help keep your engine cleaner and if done regularly, prolong it's useable life too.

Hi Tony,

Have you also tried using an "upper engine cleaner"

I know that the the aim of this isn't to clean the combustion chamber  (and to help unstick any rings), but I think that it may help.

I know of the Subaru one, but Supercheap sells this one:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/liqui-moly-liqui-moly-petrol-engine-intake-decarb---366g/348781.html#q=liquim%2Coly&srule=Price Ascending&start=15&sz=60&vid=unKlIYALygrTkj8%2FNSwoYA%3D%3D

23 hours ago, TONEDEAF2 said:

Thank you for the info. I have also noticed, since the last oil change(done by a garage using hi-tec 10w-30) that my car is now using some oil. Could this be because of the type of oil ?

Like what Tony said, there may be an issue.

Before I go into a long post of what you may need to do,

What is the oil change service history of the car (in detail)?

This will help to sort out if it's an oil issue or a bigger issue (unless you see a leak) which you MAY be able to do something about (since you noticed the oil consumption early)

Thank you for your awesome comments. The service history is:

15.000 done at 16118

30000 gone at 31524

45000 done ar 51908

60000 done at 64633

75000 done at 79762

90000 done at 93680

105000 done at 109571

120000 done at 118240

135000 done at 132097

150000 done at 142248

2 hours ago, TONEDEAF2 said:

Thank you for your awesome comments. The service history is:

15.000 done at 16118

30000 gone at 31524

45000 done ar 51908

60000 done at 64633

75000 done at 79762

90000 done at 93680

105000 done at 109571

120000 done at 118240

135000 done at 132097

150000 done at 142248

The service history is an interesting case study with the initial 3 services presumably being performed slightly over the 15000 kim / 12 month interval. Posts in other threads on this Forum express the opinion that this service interval is more based upon the minimal servicing requirement to ensure warranty from a marketing perspective. Perceived lower maintenance costs and longer servicing intervals is "designed" to meet the sales/marketing requirements. I am sure that if you asked the Toyota engineers for their opinion, then they would point out servicing your vehicle as per adverse driving conditions in the owners handbook i.e. service your vehicle every 6 months.

Longer service intervals for the initial 3-5 years is adequate for a new car buyer who then trades in on another new vehicle but a "ticking time bomb" for the used car buyer or the longer term car owner. Increased oil consumption is an indicator that the piston oil rings are getting clogged up with sludge. There are quite a number of YouTube videos about Toyota oil consumption. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+oil+consumption+fix

The Car Nut has posted a few videos on this issue. Timely oil changes with good quality oil can prevent this issue. 

In your case, I would seriously consider using the proven "old school" oil change interval of 5000kms / 6 months and using an oil flush product.  This is just a rule of thumb. Because most of my driving is short distance [bus stop, local supermarket], I use a shorter oil change interval of 3 months or less based upon a dark honey colour of the oil. I am also DIY with lots of quality known brand full synthetic 5W-30 engine oil and oil; filter cartridges in my stockpile. Certainly a different matter, if I had to pay a professional mechanic for that many oil changes.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, Novicebutnice said:

Have you also tried using an "upper engine cleaner"

Hi mate.

No, I haven't ever had to use a product like that. Maybe it's ok for an engine that's had a hard life or poor maintenance history perhaps ??

Typically, Toyota engines don't really need anything like this. The root cause for what the O.P. describes is pro longed oil changes. That was my suspicion about his oil loss and smoking issue. Gummed up oil rings and potentially something in the PCV path.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:26 PM, TONEDEAF2 said:

Ashley Nailed it on the Head right there. I won't try to repeat what he stated but in a nutshell, the idea of fixed price maintenance is a massive con job and detrimental to the long term health of the engine. Shame on ALL car makers for coming up with this fraud.

15.000 done at 16118____Service Interval

30000 gone at 31524________15,406

45000 done ar 51908________19,882

60000 done at 64633________12,725

75000 done at 79762________15,129

90000 done at 93680________13,918

105000 done at 109571______15,680

120000 done at 118240______8,669

135000 done at 132097______13,857

150000 done at 142248_____10,151

Looking at your service history, there are way too many overdue oil services in there. This is the what they wanted and now look where it's got you. 
Accelerated engine wear, sludged and gummed up internals, all for the sake of "fixed price servicing" rubbish. I would also throw in the mix, questionable oil quality used too...

See the point now ?

If I were you, I'd start by doing a few oil changes, with engine flush treatment, every 3-5K. Do three or four for starters and see if this improves things. If not, then keep going till it does, that is, if you plan on keeping the car.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:12 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi mate.

No, I haven't ever had to use a product like that. Maybe it's ok for an engine that's had a hard life or poor maintenance history perhaps ??

Typically, Toyota engines don't really need anything like this. The root cause for what the O.P. describes is pro longed oil changes. That was my suspicion about his oil loss and smoking issue. Gummed up oil rings and potentially something in the PCV path.

Hi mate,

I was curious as to whether the upper engine cleaner since it still enters the combustion chamber, could also help unstick the rings (through it's "cleaning power").

I purchased the car second hand at 134000 and had my first oil change done at 142248.

The car used no oil until after that service.

So I will take your advice and do shorter times between serviced..

Thank you for all your great advice.

Edited by TONEDEAF2

On 9/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, TONEDEAF2 said:

I purchased the car second hand at 134000 and had my first oil change done at 142248.

The car used no oil until after that service.

So I will take your advice and do shorter times between serviced..

Thank you for all your great advice.

I would still recommend doing an "oil flush service" pretty much immediately.

The reason is that you may have caught the problem in the very early stage.

Doing the "flush" now, and then every second service (combined with shorter service intervals) may fix the problem (IF there is one) and prevent further damage.

As an aside, have you noticed the vehicle running "a bit rough" rough (or any other changes) during the same time period?

Ok, so I got the engine flushed and oil change, but noticed that they put in  Valvoline Durablend 5L 5W-30 Semi Synthetic Engine Oil.

From all that I have read, it always states full synthetic oil, so is the semi synthetic oil that they put in OK?

5 hours ago, TONEDEAF2 said:

Ok, so I got the engine flushed and oil change, but noticed that they put in  Valvoline Durablend 5L 5W-30 Semi Synthetic Engine Oil.

From all that I have read, it always states full synthetic oil, so is the semi synthetic oil that they put in OK?

It'll be fine. During the course of this oil change you will still have remnants of the flushing agent and whatever sludge comes out of the engine. I wouldn't use an expensive fully synthetic oil for the flush process. Give it a couple more flushes and then go full synthetic then.

Monitor the colour of the oil over the next couple thousand kays and see how it's tracking. Do the next oil change at roughly 5k and see how it pans out.