missing bolts

mm013

Hi All,

Am I missing something? A bolt to turbo? or is it a filling point? Looks like a well oiled clean part, 1 especially doesnt look like its always been missing.

I opened the hood and looked around and found 4 bolts missing. screws for turbo manifold? or threaded hoist and air inlet? I seem to be losing torque, and shes not so wprry free aanymore after service (i am taking it back asap)..just wondering if i am crazy that is all,

thanks for your help..

hilux1.jpg20220926_154943.jpg

Edited by mm013

Judging from the "mating surfaces" of those threaded holes, i'd say there was nothing attached there to begin with. If you look closer, you can see the amount of corrosion on the mating surface matches the rest of the metal surface adjacent to them.

If there was something attached, then those mating surfaces would be clean and shiny, right ? They can't get corroded if something is covering them.

Also, that oily residue is your rocker cover gasket weeping ever so slightly. Doesn't look too bad to worry about, but you can have them check it and see what they reckon. Should be ok in my book.

If you report that you've lost torque, then it's going to be another issue all together.

If it was performing better before the last service, then yes, take it back.

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I agree the dull srews which are missing seem to be missing for a while.

Though, in the photo with black oily residue, there does seem to be a threaded hole which has fresh oil visible, also there seems to be evidence of oil almost 'spraying around the head manifold / or turbo.

I do not quite think it is, although I found a diagram of the engine head manifold, and it looks like 4 bolts hold, and seal various gaskets, and I would think create a seal, and therefore affects pressure. Loss of seal, would equate to loss of pressure, and then possible power from turbo, if this is a major screw.

Edited by mm013

18 minutes ago, mm013 said:

I do not quite think it is, although I found a diagram of the engine head manifold, and it looks like 4 bolts hold, and seal various gaskets, and I would think create a seal, and therefore affects pressure. Loss of seal, would equate to loss of pressure, and then possible power from turbo, if this is a major screw.

No Sir. It isn't the case at all. Those threaded sections are NOT through holes. They are cast in the head so you can be able to bolt on other accessories.

The two towards the rear are for brackets. One is for some tubing and the other is possibly cruise control. Your's has neither.

The front two, again, potentially same as the rears, but in all the pictures I can see, there is nothing bolted there. The oil you are seeing is the rocker cover gasket leaking. That's it.

If you have concerns there may be an issue, Take it back to your mechanic and ask him. I don't think they would simply remove pieces from the engine just for the sake of it. It may have a turbo issue that you're not aware of. Has it started to blow any smoke of any kind ??
If you're down on power and torque, then the turbo would be the first place I'd have inspected. They don't last a very long time and are prone to failure, especially the seals and bearings.

Take a look at the two pictures I've attached and see for yourself.

It's the best I could find.

This link has one for sale. Hover over the pictures and see the brackets attached to the very holes you speak of. 

https://www.jdmwestcoast.com/jdm-toyota-1kz-hilux-surf-4runner-3-0l-1kzte-turbo-diesel-awd-auto-trans.html

2001 Diesel Engine Hilux.jpg

127765.jpg

cool, thanks again. I thought they could be for hoisting/lifting points. They should/could mark this with SWL etc..

Update/edit.

Taken for a drive since. Happy again. Though ive got a hill climb i think, and there will be no reversing. Cranky and bouncy As ever/ always. 

Edited by mm013