Oil Leak issues with 2GRFE

Hi All, Another brilliant video from The Car Care Nut, this one is how to deal with a front timing cover oil leak which involves removing the engine and sub frame as most front oil leaks will involve. As always he explains and shows you in detail what is involved so please enjoy.

Keep Safe All

KAA

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KAA said:

Another brilliant video from The Car Care Nut, this one is how to deal with a front timing cover oil leak which involves removing the engine and sub frame as most front oil leaks will involve.

Yes, another great video from The Car Care Nut worth your valuable time to view. Lots of learning and information from the voice of experience worth listening to. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any preventative measures so more a case of luck that the manufacturing was flawless without a fingerprint in that particular area.

I am most definitely not going to even attempt this sort of job as my current "work area" is either the backyard under a mango tree or the side access driveway.

In the video, he mentioned a repair cost of 2600USD and charging 20 hours for labour. Assuming that I could find the required experienced engine technician/workshop, I would be expecting a repair estimate of $5000. As much as I "love" my 2006 Aurion ATX, this repair would not be economically viable for myself. Therefore, I would be taking the cleaning and hoping option.

Following YouTube video, I have remembered for general reference purposes. I would certainly consider and further investigate whether it can be applied as a workaround to avoid an expensive engine removal and tear down.

• Like 1

Yes Ashley I also went wooh a full engine out repair?, the cost and the inability to have a hoist would make me do the same thing Ash. I will be hoping that our Australian assembly plant did a really good sealing job on the front cover of concern. at least we know what too look for now in case it does happen. I however will be going the cleaning and watch procedure if it does occur on our "Faye"

KAA

I agree Gentlemen, it would be a big no for me too, to have to remove the engine to cure that notorious leak. It is ridiculous really, to have to spend that much money to fix a simple leak. I hope it never happens to me too.

In saying that, I have more faith in our Australian built cars, but I'm not sure if the engines were also built here or were they shipped from Japan.

All I can say is for mine, is so far so good. It's just clicked over 148 Kays and the engine is as good as it was when the car was purchased at 40K.

It's due to an oil service too.... Hopefully this weekend. I'll post up when I do.

The last service was 141,168K. The current reading is 148,410 as of yesterday morning. So roughly a 7.5K interval is bang on the target I set myself.

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Thanks Tony, Yes in same position I have confidence in the engine in mine. So far not a sign of any leak in the front cover. If however it does show I will be taking the clean and watch approach as an engine out too me is way out of my ability to pay. I have a great mechanic who in the new year I will ask to put in place a check on that area every time my "Faye" is in his care.

I hope you remain trouble free like me my friend, let us know how the oil change etc goes.

KAA

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oil leaks are annoying if they ever pop up, even small leaks. I profess to being a member of that exact "dodgy brother" remedy & it works if done properly. Ideally make sure no oil is directly above where leak coming from otherwise drain it, super clean & degrease the area with wax & grease remover and/or brake cleaner then coat well with hi-temp oil resistant RTV & let dry for a day or two, refill (if drained) & drive. If you apply RTV in layers to build up a good barrier I think will prolong its life ;)