C series gearbox mount compatibility

112r

Hi all

I have an AE112R that I'm building a 2ZZ for. I know the driver's side mount can be solved with a foreign ZZ mount and MWR adapter plate, but I'm not too sure what I'm going to do about the three gearbox mounts. My car has an A240L which I would very much like to replace with a manual transmission. I know that C5Xs and probably C16Xs will bolt in just fine but won't bolt up to a 2ZZ without modification. I know the C6Xs will bolt right up to a 2ZZ, but I have no idea if they use the same mounts or can be easily adapted. There's also the issue of driveshaft length with boxes other than C52s. What do you guys think the best route would be?

It's a 102 but essentially the same chassis

Note that depending on whether you source the 2ZZ/6-speed from the Celica (C60) or Sportivo (C64) you'll have to do some mucking around with the shifter cables and shifter base - personally using the Celica gear is preferable all around due to the better 6th gear ratio for cruising, better engine cover and the shifter bolts straight in, which is worth the extra hassle of swapping the cables over and notching the battery tray.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, Hiro said:

It's a 102 but essentially the same chassis

Note that depending on whether you source the 2ZZ/6-speed from the Celica (C60) or Sportivo (C64) you'll have to do some mucking around with the shifter cables and shifter base - personally using the Celica gear is preferable all around due to the better 6th gear ratio for cruising, better engine cover and the shifter bolts straight in, which is worth the extra hassle of swapping the cables over and notching the battery tray.

Apologies for the month late reply, hope this isn't considered necroposting. Your build thread has been very helpful in my research for this project, drawn a lot of inspiration from it! Hope to see it when it's all finished up! I think you're right, the C60 is gonna be the better option. I don't mind having to notch the battery tray and all that, and judging by your build there'll be no issues with the gearbox mounts that way either. Did you end up finding driveshafts that worked for you? I'm sticking with the factory AE112 hubs, so I doubt we'd find the same solution, but I've got no clue where to even start for that. I guess it's something I'd have to figure out once the engine and gearbox are in the car, taking measurements with the wheels on the ground and counting splines, hey?