The 4 Litre 2GR-FE !!

STEVES ATX

Just read an old review of the Aurion.

See here: 2006 Toyota Aurion review: classic MOTOR (whichcar.com.au)

In the article it says the 3.5L V6 has the "ability to be bored out to more than four litres" !

I recall seeing some obscure video from Saudi Arabia (I think) with some hotted up Aurion with more than 4 Litres - but Icant find the link anymore !

I haven't found any more info on this & just wondering if anyone has done or heard of this this mod.

What about a stroked 2GR-FE ??

A 4 Litre Aurion sounds pretty good to me.

200kw is fine but the extra torque low down would be good from a few extra cubes.

But then, a 4 Litre Supercharged TRD sounds even better - 300kw maybe ???

Actually, the 1GR-FE used in early and mid 2000's used is a 4.0lt. I had a 2005 Dual Cab Hilux which was one and to be honest, although it did have some grunt, I feel the Aurion would out pace it. It lacked mid range torque so I'm not sure if the 2GR-FE is a de-stroked version of that. I suspect the Hilux version of the 1GR was detuned as I feel it had more to give but was being held back somewhat.

I don't have an extensive knowledge on Toyota engine line ups unfortunately to be able to make a clear distinction.

The 1GR has the same bore as the 2GR but longer stroke.  Boring out a 3.5L V6 to a 4.0 is a mammoth amount of material to remove (roughly 7mm on diameter for every cylinder) and totally impractical if not impossible

HERE is an example of a 4.0L 2GR, but it was both bored AND stroked (and the over-bore was only ~2mm), using an offset-ground 1GR crank to compensate.  They then went back to a standard 2GR crank/stroke, and only ended up with 3.6L (so a 0.1L capacity increase)

And whilst from a pure bore/stroke factor, yes the 2GR is a de-stroked 1GR, but there are significant differences in design between the two that prevents just straight mixing and matching parts.

• Thanks 1