Oil leak from timing cover

Rimsy

Hi All,

I've done a search on the site and can't find any definitive answers on this one. 2007 Aurion, 150,000km. Small oil leak from the timing cover. Very common problem from what I understand but requires engine out to fix and therefore will cost almost as much as the car is worth. Is there anyway to try and seal/slow the leak from the outside? It's not a big deal at this stage and I don't have to add oil between changes (only leaves a few drops on oil on the floor each week) but if I could just find a way to seal/slow the leak it might outlast the car. I'm not paying for an engine out repair.

I watched the car nuts video on this very thing about a week ago. Its not going to damage the engine. If you are happy to live with the leak i wouldnt even worry about it. Especially at 150k. the more i learn about the 2grfe the more i regret buying mine. really calls into question this whole toyota reliability thing. Are they really that reliable? the engine bay is really bad as well because to get to things like the water pump, alternator, even the back 3 spark plugs its not the average job. you will always pay more for it to be done.

8 hours ago, Rimsy said:

Hi All,

I've done a search on the site and can't find any definitive answers on this one. 2007 Aurion, 150,000km. Small oil leak from the timing cover. Very common problem from what I understand but requires engine out to fix and therefore will cost almost as much as the car is worth. Is there anyway to try and seal/slow the leak from the outside? It's not a big deal at this stage and I don't have to add oil between changes (only leaves a few drops on oil on the floor each week) but if I could just find a way to seal/slow the leak it might outlast the car. I'm not paying for an engine out repair.

Have a look at this recent thread. There is a link to a YouTube video for a workaround fix.

If you give it a go, please let us know the end result whether successful or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Henstepper said:

I watched the car nuts video on this very thing about a week ago. Its not going to damage the engine. If you are happy to live with the leak i wouldnt even worry about it. Especially at 150k. the more i learn about the 2grfe the more i regret buying mine. really calls into question this whole toyota reliability thing. Are they really that reliable? the engine bay is really bad as well because to get to things like the water pump, alternator, even the back 3 spark plugs its not the average job. you will always pay more for it to be done.

I bought my Aurion because I specifically wanted a V6 for better overtaking performance on the highway. I bought my Aurion knowing that there was white smoke on start up and found out later that it was due to oil sludge caused by a very suspect service history. I suspect that the oil sludge and varnish has formed an additional layer to avoid a timing cover oil leak.

Only regret/anguish was when I had to replace the rear VVTi oil line. Since then, I have replaced the water pump, alternator, spark plugs and ignition coils. They are time consuming jobs so it is worthwhile to use quality replacement parts. I am DIY so no great issue for me to spend a weekend doing these jobs. Definitely agree that these jobs would have been a lot simpler on a past Toyota Corona and current owned Toyota Yaris.

Essentially, the V6 engine has been shoe horned into the same sized engine bay as a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry. If you have seen the engine bay of a 1994 Honda Prelude, then you would appreciate why I sold that vehicle before the timing belt needed to be changed. 

If you want Toyota reliability then you have to regularly service your Toyota. 

• Like 3

On 11/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, campbeam said:

Have a look at this recent thread. There is a link to a YouTube video for a workaround fix.

If you give it a go, please let us know the end result whether successful or not.

Thanks Ashley. I think I'll give that dodgy brothers RTV sealant a go. He covered the brand so I couldn't see what he was using, any idea which RTV is best to use?

All good, found it.

Edited by Rimsy
Update

"Dodgy brother" method can work if done well. I commented in other thread Ash linked to above but essentially clean well & layer hi-temp oil resistant RTV, let dry for a day each layer until you build up a good barrier to prolong it's life. Don't drive it until the job is finished. I used this exact method on my haciroku years ago for a typical systemic assembly line failure with the Subaru motor where almost every FA-20 had the oil leak from the timing cover in exactly the same spot.

A crude repair I cared not because it worked, then Subaru in their infinite wisdom decided all FA-20's of the era should have new valve-springs & so the engine had to come out for a partial teardown which included removing the timing cover 🙄

@Henstepper  Yep it's a tight fit the 2GR given it's a FWD setup, I get it,  if it were a Lexus GS it would be a rear wheel drive setup making it much easier for servicing, but hey it's a quality 3.5 V6 & they're a dying breed so be greatful you have one 😉 .

There are many people out there who are fairly unsatisfied with the current trend of gutless tiny turbocharged motors on big heavy cars which clearly aren't up to the task, especially if you load up the vehicle with people & luggage. The Aurion can at least be driven sedately & return good economy with the bonus of lasting several lifetimes if serviced correctly. Not to mention smooth, powerful & quiet.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, Henstepper said:

Especially at 150k. the more i learn about the 2grfe the more i regret buying mine. really calls into question this whole toyota reliability thing. Are they really that reliable? the engine bay is really bad as well because to get to things like the water pump, alternator, even the back 3 spark plugs its not the average job. you will always pay more for it to be done.

Don't let that bring you down. It's not a common issue but what engine is perfect ? It's a small percentage of engines that can have more issues than others.

150K is really nothing for a 2GR-FE. Mine is fast approaching that and I can honestly say, that all is ok still, knock on wood. I have oil and coolant to do soon. Been putting it off as I've been ill with Covid for the last week and a half. It really saps your energy.

Hopefully soon I will post up having completed these.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, Rimsy said:

Thanks Ashley. I think I'll give that dodgy brothers RTV sealant a go. He covered the brand so I couldn't see what he was using, any idea which RTV is best to use?

All good, found it.

It's the best alternative to an "engine out" job. Just make sure everything is perfectly clean with brake cleaner before applying RTV. Doesn't need to be anything special, just buy a quality, name brand  RTV.