Aurion wheel bearing..

Bigmike62

Greetings Gents,

I've had a annoying noise for the past month coming into the cabin at low speeds mostly. Decided it was way too annoying and took it to my local Ultra Tune for diagnosis.Β  The mechanic who came for a drive with me to hear the noise, says it sounds like a wheel bearing problem..

Couldn't find anything on the site here for that problem..Does anyone know if the wheel bearings on the 40 series Aurions are an issue..? Anyone got any idea how big a job this might be?

Cheers,

Bigmike..πŸ€”

Hi Mike, Never heard of an issue with the 40 series wheel bearings. I am sure if any have they will let you know but it's like anything else they are a part that takes a load and can wear out, I would not think it would be a big job too change them out and I would do both sides if it was me. I hope it is sorted soon for you mate.

KAA

πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ„πŸŽ„

• Like 1

That sounds like a preliminary assessment. If a hoist was available at the time, it should have only taken a few minutes to check for movement in the wheels and confirm whether the wheel bearing was definitely worn and needed to be replaced.

Following YouTube video will give you an appreciation of what is involved with a front wheel bearing replacement. So much easier when using a press. The other video is a DIY approach without a press.

Β 

Β 

Greetings Gents...

Well, it wasn't the rear left wheel bearing after all. After putting the car up on the hoist, the mechanic found that the noise was actually a completely collapsed rear left shock absorber..

They recommended replacing both rear shocks, not just one..

So 5 hours later and $748 in parts and labour, the car is now "wierd noise" free and driving far better...

Cheers for your replies..

Bigmike..πŸ‘

Β 

Edited by Bigmike62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike glad it was sorted out and your beauty is now driving smooth again, yes you should always replace both shocks as for luck would have it the other side will go not long after replacing the damaged one.

KAA

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Greetings Gents...

Well, it wasn't the rear left wheel bearing after all. After putting the car up on the hoist, the mechanic found that the noise was actually a completely collapsed rear left shock absorber..

They recommended replacing both rear shocks, not just one..

So 5 hours later and $748 in parts and labour, the car is now "wierd noise" free and driving far better...

Cheers for your replies..

Bigmike..πŸ‘

Β 

Spot on recommendation to replace both rear shocks.

Replacing the rear wheel bearing is more straight forward than the front wheel bearing essentially being a bolt off and bolt on replacement assembly part. Following YouTube video will give you an idea of what is involved.

Β 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 11:07 PM, Bigmike62 said:

Hey Big Mike,

I'm glad you got it sorted mate. Sometimes first impressions are not always right, right ??

Wheel bearings are not a common failure point, especially on Toyota's. Shocks are much more likely to fail way before anything else really. They do a lot of hard work.

Stay safe mateΒ :thumbsup: