Need help wiring OEM reverse camera to aftermarket head unit.

socks2807

Has anyone managed to do this? I have done a lot of research and cannot find explicit instructions on this. Had my dash ripped apart and everything was mostly easy with the Aerpro kit for my Sony ax1000 head unit, until I came to the reverse camera. I believe it is the 24 pin that has only 4 wires running from it that deals with the reverse cam. The head unit has an RCA input for camera, but obviously the stock one has no such thing. Pretty lost on where to go, for now I have put everything back as it was and it works as normal.

Is there some adapter I need to buy? This was referenced on a couple old forums but no links were posted, so I don't know what I'm looking for. Or is this more of a DIY solder job? In which case I'd probably just get a pro to do it as I don't wanna mess anything up. Any help is appreciated.

Another small problem is the Aerpro steering wheel control harness comes to a cable that looks to be a 3.5 mm labelled "sony combined stalk". There is nowhere for this to go on the headunit, does it plug in somewhere else? I was vaguely following a youtube video but the guy totally skipped over this part. I can post pics if they would help.

Edited by socks2807

Figured out the steering wheel control harness, it goes in the blue socket that I thought was for something subwoofer related. So just the camera related stuff now. There is also a wire labelled "reverse" which I am sure needs to be hooked up to reverse light power or something to signal that the car is in reverse, but I have no clue where to wire it.

You'll probably find that the Sony headunit requires a 12 volt camera while most Toyota cameras run on 6 volts. In other words it won't work unless you buy the appropriate Toyota camera retention harness or put a voltage reducer in.

Edited by noah_73

4 hours ago, noah_73 said:

You'll probably find that the Sony headunit requires a 12 volt camera while most Toyota cameras run on 6 volts. In other words it won't work unless you buy the appropriate Toyota camera retention harness or put a voltage reducer in.

Thanks for the answer. I’m happy to buy a retention harness if I can just figure out what one. There are the AerPro APVTY harnesses, 5 of which exist.

APVTY01: https://aerpro.com/apvty01 

The 01 lists as compatible with 2012-14 Aurions, the 02, 03 and 04 do not list Aurions at all. Would the APVTY01 work? With my 2009 Aurion? Has anyone given this a go? I really don’t know where to get any of the information I need.

9 minutes ago, noah_73 said:

The camera harness could well be the 24 pin plug with 4 wires in it, what spec level is your car? I'm assuming it's a 40 series. 

Yeah its a 2009 Presara. 40 series. And the camera cable did have 4 wires coming from it. Honestly I can't tell you if it was a 24 pin or what because I didn't count and the car is back together again, but it was long and thin, definitely a 16, 18 ... 24 etc pin. I just cant tell if the harness I linked is exactly what I need or slightly different because it says its for the early 50 series, and has 16 pins. 

14 minutes ago, socks2807 said:

Yeah its a 2009 Presara. 40 series. And the camera cable did have 4 wires coming from it. Honestly I can't tell you if it was a 24 pin or what because I didn't count and the car is back together again, but it was long and thin, definitely a 16, 18 ... 24 etc pin. I just cant tell if the harness I linked is exactly what I need or slightly different because it says its for the early 50 series, and has 16 pins. 

Go to https://stingeraustralia.com.au/product/axbuch-t26v/

Without being there I think that's what you're looking for, the one thing that leaves me with doubt is the picture of it given the number of wires it has coming from it. 

2 minutes ago, noah_73 said:

Go to https://stingeraustralia.com.au/product/axbuch-t26v/

Without being there I think that's what you're looking for, the one thing that leaves me with doubt is the picture of it given the number of wires it has coming from it. 

Jeeesus 90 bucks. And yeah the wires do not bode well haha. Maybe will give them a call and ask a few questions about it. If its gonna be that much maybe its better to just pay someone for a better quality camera and the installation fee and just get a nicer one wired up and skip all this trouble. Hmm

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, socks2807 said:

Jeeesus 90 bucks. And yeah the wires do not bode well haha. Maybe will give them a call and ask a few questions about it. If its gonna be that much maybe its better to just pay someone for a better quality camera and the installation fee and just get a nicer one wired up and skip all this trouble. Hmm

Socks,

I did this job but fitted a Pioneer AVICZ930DAB. I purchased two Pioneer RCAMAVIC cameras.  I had to modify the fitting of the OEM bracket a little to get this one to fit at the same angle.  the Pioneer camera and OEM toyota camera are about the same size. If I recall correctly the camera only has three wires.  Positive, Ground and Video signal.  I ended up tapping into a positive reverse light wire at the back of the car. Ran the earth wire to ground.  I ran the video signal from the camera back to the head unit and made my own connection which I thick was an RCA type. The Head unit I have has the ability to quickly switch to camera two view if you buy a second camera.  I have done that and did a test wire and just tapped it to the grill to see if it works. And it works great.  I have ran a pull wire through the firewall where the OEM bundle goes through from the engine fuse box.  I just need to get the time to add this front camera.  This head unit also offers adjustable guide lines which appear and once you set them indicate a yellow lines at the side extensions and at 2 metres and a red line at 500mm.  In theory though you can put these lines where ever you want.  I just used the Pioneer recommended distances. All you need is a volt meter to test which wires are giving you the reverse trigger signal. I also used the Aerpro kit which had no instructions on how to fit the side brackets. Maybe I am slow but that was the hardest part and I never found the speed sensor wire but location and speed seem to be fine just with the GPS antennae attached. Wireless apple car play on this is just the best part of the car now. I am late seeing this so you probably have completed by now.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, socks2807 said:

I just read this link and if you do not want to muck around as much as I did then this would be the go.  Remember I had to modify my mount to fit the Pioneer and also run the wire from rear to front. That means loosening the liner in the boot, feeding through a hole in the body near the backrest inside the car. reinforcing the wire a that point with conduit to protect it, running along the floor and up to the head unit. I think if it a quick solution then $89 is cheap at half the price. Aerpro have info guides about their wire colours on their site and Pioneer does as well.  A lot of these are standard. 

16 hours ago, bradp51 said:

I just read this link and if you do not want to muck around as much as I did then this would be the go.  Remember I had to modify my mount to fit the Pioneer and also run the wire from rear to front. That means loosening the liner in the boot, feeding through a hole in the body near the backrest inside the car. reinforcing the wire a that point with conduit to protect it, running along the floor and up to the head unit. I think if it a quick solution then $89 is cheap at half the price. Aerpro have info guides about their wire colours on their site and Pioneer does as well.  A lot of these are standard. 

Thanks for the reply, ended up just getting a pro to do it a few days ago. $140 dollars to hardwire the factory camera 24 pin into an RCA for the headunit with a voltage stepdown from 12V to 6V. Works like a charm now. If the best I could do was a 90 dollar harness and risk **** it up myself, compared to 140 to just have it done and no stress, I said ah what the hell.