Non turbo

FiloRolla

I dont know anything about the supra model.. besides that they look nice and they got the 2gze engine (dont even know if that is spelt right)

But i've been wondering about the non turbo version ..

Just wondering what different variations are there for the supra model? the newer shape

And what difference is there between the Turbo and non turbo (besides the turbo engine).. such as the brakes, suspension, chasis etc.

Is it worth buying a non turbo than doing a engine swap or TT conversion?

Im a young dude.. lol 17 so turbo restrictions and insurance is gona kill me. So that's why i was wondering about the non turbo

B) my little bro is 17 as well, and is looking at his first car - supra non turbo or fto or FC rx7 >_< ;; why not just a civic or rolla?

the non turbo supra has vvti :) - but other than that, everything is identical ...i think :P

Head over to http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/

thats where you will get good answers, but let me give you a briefing.

An NA supra is very decent, i just got one myself a month ago, you get decent power coming from the inline 6 engine. Although the TT is in a class of its own.

The SZ model is the non-turbo and the RZ is the Twin Turbo model.

Supras (Mark IV) began production in 1993. In 1996 they got a make over with black headlights, and greyish tailights. And some minor interior adjustments as well.

In 1997 they introduced VVTi to the 2JZs.

I just got a recently imported one for $18k driveaway. A clean white supra with stock bodykit.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

just to let u know aswell that the N/A supras also had worse brakes and non l.s.d diff, also if buying a manual n/a they only had the 5spd instead of the tt's 6spd

Yes and no. After 1997* Toyota brought out the non-trubo supra sz-r which included the 6 speed getrag, some have factory recaros although impossible to find, and possibly upgraded brakes. However no lsd.

I have test driven a few for a friend and they are lots of fun to drive, suprisingly quick too.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

the 2 major differences between the NA n Turbo Supra are:

1) Turbo (obviously)

2) bigger brakes (most Turbo Supra, but not all)

My brother used to have the NA Supra, The 6cyc engine is quite powerful. Sounds nice. interior is pretty nice, front seats are comfy (bro got the leather interior) but forget about putting 2 adults in the rear seats! (the Celica rear seats are actually bigger compared to the supra).

Just couple of years ago my brother swapped the NA Supra to a WRX (but sold that after several of months, wasn't a good car and sound insulation was damn crap) and now he drives the TT Supra. I've driven his TT Supra on the track (just last week, Wakefield Racecourse) it was insane!

instead of doing an engine conversion, you should just put 1 big turbo. Also remember get the engine with VVT-i :spiteful:

Goodluck on the purchase

• 9 months later...

hi, all

i'v owned a NA supra for 4 1/2 years, and sold just before last christmas... :(

the differeance is

2JZ-GE: (aka non turbo)

3lt inline six

168kw

0-100: 6.8 sec

1/4: 14.8 sec

compresion ratio: 10/1

SZR model has optional lsd all other models don't.. (like my old one)

2JZ-GTE:

3lt inline six twin turbo

206kw

0-100: 5.5 sec

1/4: 13.5 sec

compresion ratio: 8/1

they are both the same car but yet very different...

the N/A supra has high compresion so it can not be turbo charged without big $$$$$ spent..

the gear box is not as strong nor is the pistons, rod, chafts, ect ect..

as for brakes they are the same for the 93 and 94 models, but in 95 the turbos got an up grade...

the N/A brakes a ample for every day driving.. Good pads and fluid would help for light track work..

suspension the turbo version has blistien shocks, option for SZR i think...

and the N/A supra was the fastest and the most powerful non turbo (in its catagory) japanese designed and built from factory

up untill the new mazda RX8 and the nissan 350Z.... how about that!!! 10 years undefeted..

if your looking to mod up your car,, theres not much that you can do... cause toyota has already fine tuned it..

exhaust, air filter, ecu, cams, and thats about it.. and after all that you will get about 40 - 60kw gain..

all in all,, i loved every moment of the 4 years with my car.. and being 17 (i was 18 when i got mine) the N/A supra is THE best car you can get... for under $18,000 it looks good, goes hard, handles well.

but be careful dude,,, cause it is a girls car... cause it gets all the girls!!!

and for all you lady supra drivers... theres nothing sweeter..

enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...
93-96 SZ BASE MODEL

93-96 SZ-R came with extra eg. LSD and diff except for the getrag box

96.5-2002 SZ-R- came with everything that the early model SZR's had plus the getrag!

96.5-2002 SZ im not sure about! i think the came with the abs but aint 100%

from supra forums

• 5 weeks later...

Correct...

93-96 SZ BASE MODEL

93-96 SZ-R came with extra eg. LSD and diff except for the getrag box

96.5-2002 SZ-R- came with everything that the early model SZR's had plus the getrag!

96.5-2002 SZ im not sure about! i think the came with the abs but aint 100%

from supra forums

• 8 months later...

Its great to see all this information, as i was going to ask the same question.

I found a 1999 TOYOTA SUPRA JZA80 in Victoria (i live in sydney) for around $17990, and its an import from japan non turbo.

Still searching! I might hit the streets soon to look at dealers as ive seen online stuff only! Sexy car aint it! Cant wait to get rid my civic...its been good but time to drive some muscle

• 2 years later...

Its great to see all this information, as i was going to ask the same question.

I found a 1999 TOYOTA SUPRA JZA80 in Victoria (i live in sydney) for around $17990, and its an import from japan non turbo.

Still searching! I might hit the streets soon to look at dealers as ive seen online stuff only! Sexy car aint it! Cant wait to get rid my civic...its been good but time to drive some muscle

*ahem, rice, ilmao.

^_^

*ahem, rice, ilmao.

^_^

Yeah. Muscle isn't quite the right word. But Sushi rice is the quality stuff. Only the finest.

I wonder if they found what they were looking for over the last couple of years :lol:

• 2 years later...

I just recently bought my 1993 SZ supra, is it true that the standard transmissions are rated to handle up to 800hp?

SZ = 5-speed manual = W58, a reasonably strong 'box but in no way an 800HP box. The V160/161 6-speed in the RZ and SZ-R, on the other hand...

Also, this thread is over 7 years old, with the last post more than 2 years ago...

it's 7 years old......yooooouuuurr point? I have movies that are over 10 years old, I still laugh at them. :P but seriously, thankyou for that, I just heard that rumor and wasn't sure if it was true and to what extent. So any idea as to what the 5 speed can handle?

W58s get put behind old-skool Holden V8s (302s etc) so they can handle a decent amount of power/torque, you'll probably never find a hard-and-fast number though as a lot of it comes down to driving style