Tarago can't accelerate for first few mins

Mogsta

Sorry if this description is not very technical.
Last week my 2001 Tarago 2.4L ACR30 developed an issue. It starts well, idles very evenly around 1k, but even after a period of warming up, its first few minutes are like driving in limp mode - at a walking pace.
There's no rich petrol smell, no misfiring, spluttering or jerking. Just a total inability to accelerate. Also no engine light (though I might check codes anyway).
I'm not super mechanical, but in the past have managed to change ignition coils, plugs, engine mounts, rocker cover gasket etc, so I'm ready to have a crack at this if it's not something deep inside the engine.
What should I be checking first (and second, third etc)? Thanks!

Hi there

Does your car rev in neutral?? Get your code read would be good idea. Just to eliminate electrical faults… otherwise check your spark plugs, spark plug leads and fuel quality.

cheers

Could be knock sensor but not crank sensor. If you have a faulty crank sensor,  it would not start  or intermittently cutting out. As for knock sensors, when they’re faulty, you would get a check engine light on and low Power. Also the connector can deteriorate over time and caused a bad connection. So I would suggest to get code read before you’re going to throw some parts at it. 

just say if it was a knock sensor problem. I would suggest to go for genuine part, if not. Your local wrecker. Newer model Corolla and Camry shares similar engine. Don’t buy aftermarket knock sensor from Repco or SCA. 

PS: if you’re gonna be a loyal Toyota fan. Look up VCI cable with techstream.

Good luck.

Edited by hayden

3 hours ago, hayden said:

Could be knock sensor but not crank sensor. If you have a faulty crank sensor,  it would not start  or intermittently cutting out. As for knock sensors, when they’re faulty, you would get a check engine light on and low Power. Also the connector can deteriorate over time and caused a bad connection. So I would suggest to get code read before you’re going to throw some parts at it. 

just say if it was a knock sensor problem. I would suggest to go for genuine part, if not. Your local wrecker. Newer model Corolla and Camry shares similar engine. Don’t buy aftermarket knock sensor from Repco or SCA. 

PS: if you’re gonna be a loyal Toyota fan. Look up VCI cable with techstream.

Good luck.

Thanks Hayden,

I did a couple of things on the weekend, cleaned the Mass Airflow sensor, which was really dirty, then pulled out the fuel pump (big job just for checking the filter!) Neither seemed the issue, as it still played up after looking at those.

However, your third idea of bad fuel may well be the issue.

Thing is, there has been no engine light. I do have an OBD2 reader, but for some reason I can't get readings with it on this 2001 Tarago - yet I can on my 2006 Estima.

Anyway, I let it run for about 10 mins and after that long warm up it seemed better - I could actually get out of the driveway (a medium incline), So I took it for a long hard run, topped it up with 98 fuel and added some Valvoline injector cleaner (seems there's a split camp as to whether that does anything - I wouldn't have a clue).

Since then, it seems to be heaps better, almost the best it's ever been. So... maybe you were right with the fuel quality. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of fuel. Time will tell.

Thanks for the ideas!

P.S. Looking at VCI, nice!

Cheers,

Brett

VCI cable…get one….money well spent.   I also have an estima gsr50. Love the power but not enjoying paying for petrol. 😂

cheers,

Edited by hayden