Sportivo ZR6 Struts

Hey guys, new member 😆

I bought a pretty clean '09 ZR6 about 6 months ago and I really like it. But there's a couple of little things I think it needs to keep it reliable for a while longer. There's a couple of little knocks (nothing crazy) from the front and rear end which I think is mostly bushes. I did the $28 Pedders suspension check today and they want $3.5k for 4 shocks and some lower control arms. I'm not nearly afraid to tackle such a job myself but the thing I'm finding difficult is finding struts that actually fit the ZR6. There's tons around for regular Aurion models but it seems that the ZR6 models have a stiffer strut perhaps? I was going to assume I could cheap out and just get regular Aurion struts seeing as to my mind it mate no sense for Toyota to have a special strut but maybe a lowered spring. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know what the options are for struts? Thanks in advance guys! 😁

Tell pedders to rip someone else off,

Look here Genuine, beware of cheap so called performance ebay crap, unless its from a REPUTABLE SELLER,scroll through link and you'll find the RH strut also

Genuine TOYOTA AURION 3.5 TRD (GSV40) 2006-2011 Left Hand Front Strut - Part no. TO485208Y003_128234 - Phil Gilbert Toyota

Edited by CONROD
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, fortydegrees said:

I did the $28 Pedders suspension check today and they want $3.5k for 4 shocks and some lower control arms. I'm not nearly afraid to tackle such a job myself but the thing I'm finding difficult is finding struts that actually fit the ZR6.

Did you ask them to explain such a ridiculous price ? I would've asked it they contain Frankincense, myrrh, or even gold 😄 

• Haha 2

Yes Tony it sounds a ridiculous price I would have said and where do I donate my first born and a pound of flesh for a discount. 

KAA

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332726562109

Ok it's for a GSV50R but you get the picture . . . . this retailer I can vouch for. Also every now & again eBay have a good discount going for a pair so becomes a good deal like around $500 for 4 x KYB struts which make the oem struts iirc. KYB are an excellent product, just make sure you also replace the strut top mounts preferably with genuine parts as they fit better.

Lower control arms can be removed & the bushes replaced by either yourself or a mechanic with a hydraulic shop press. Whilst you're under check all bushes & replace as required. Make sure sway links are good otherwise replace those also.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Had the $28 suspension check also, quote of $3.5k at Pedders who said I needed new lower control arms, 4 struts, and some other random stuff. Just got a free suspension check at Fulcrum who said only 4 struts + top mounts needed, everything else is in good condition. So yes, always get a second opinion is a must, just saved myself $1.5k in unnecessary part replacements + labour.

4 hours ago, mochubb said:

Had the $28 suspension check also, quote of $3.5k at Pedders who said I needed new lower control arms, 4 struts, and some other random stuff.

Hilarious. Remember the commercial ??

"Pedders,,,,, and No Bull" 🤣🤣

Good for you too for getting a second opinion.