Black Headlight Surround Mod

ZAV

after my accident, ive had to paint another headlight

this is another way of using the oven to open up the lights for those who are still afraid.

i placed the headlight into a fan forced oven at about 90degrees celcius for about 3-4mins.

i then quickly took it out and started seperating the lens from the top corner first.

this is the hardest bit, you'll find that once you get past that the rest of the seperation is quite easy.

i had to put the headlight in and out of the oven about 3-4 times before i got it off.

hope this helps and hope to see more out there

=)

jay.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i really want to do this with mine i was thinkin getting a cheap set of second hand headlamps so i dont have to worry bout throwin the car back together in a hurry may even do a how to guide or possibly do sets on exchange for those who arent keen to get theyre hands dirty.

for those worried bout stuffing the paintjob up your painting onto chrome so itll be easy to clean off with thinners or possibly even acetone and redo

i really want to do this with mine i was thinkin getting a cheap set of second hand headlamps so i dont have to worry bout throwin the car back together in a hurry may even do a how to guide or possibly do sets on exchange for those who arent keen to get theyre hands dirty.

for those worried bout stuffing the paintjob up your painting onto chrome so itll be easy to clean off with thinners or possibly even acetone and redo

ye i thought about buying a set of headlights before i did mine but it costs to bloody much so i just did it with my standarx ones. ive heard people do it and have the headlights back on in like 5 hours. i dont kno if they did bodgy jobs or not but i did everything properly and took my time doing it and all up it took me about 8-9 hours believe it or not. i removed both headlights and painted and then put them back on the car in one night. i also had 2 people helping me out. and i also swore not to do it EVER again.

ye i thought about buying a set of headlights before i did mine but it costs to bloody much so i just did it with my standarx ones. ive heard people do it and have the headlights back on in like 5 hours. i dont kno if they did bodgy jobs or not but i did everything properly and took my time doing it and all up it took me about 8-9 hours believe it or not. i removed both headlights and painted and then put them back on the car in one night. i also had 2 people helping me out. and i also swore not to do it EVER again.

yeah 5-6 hours sounds right it depends on the cure time for the paint id rather make sure the finish is right before i put it back together though but then im going to sand off the chrome and paint the area gloss black so i want it to turn out right

yeah 5-6 hours sounds right it depends on the cure time for the paint id rather make sure the finish is right before i put it back together though but then im going to sand off the chrome and paint the area gloss black so i want it to turn out right

that is exactly how i did it. i sanded the chrome. but not all of the chrome but enough so the new paint sticks on. then did the eash procedure with wax and grease remover and all that stuff. i used black vynil spray in matt. so expect it to take a minimum of 6 hours.

that is exactly how i did it. i sanded the chrome. but not all of the chrome but enough so the new paint sticks on. then did the eash procedure with wax and grease remover and all that stuff. i used black vynil spray in matt. so expect it to take a minimum of 6 hours.

vynil spray eh? i wasnt sure which one to use there isnt much out there in spray cans for gloss black thatll withstand high heat best option i figured was to use 2k gloss but i havent got a way to get power to my air compressor and itll make too much noise so can it is

cant do it now anyway it wont stop freakin raining

i wanna do mine but also afraid ill screw it up.

easiest solution i had in mind you get a headlight from pick and payless thats got its lense smashed theyll probably just give it to you and practice on that that way if it doesnt turn out you wont ruin your own headlights

easiest solution i had in mind you get a headlight from pick and payless thats got its lense smashed theyll probably just give it to you and practice on that that way if it doesnt turn out you wont ruin your own headlights

where do u get that? :D

where do u get that? :D

what a broken headlight? the wreckers out at blacktown

• 2 months later...

LOL WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU BUT AFTER I DID MY HEADLIGHTS I SWORE NOT TO TOUCH IT AGAIN. SO YOU COULD GIVE ME 100K AND I STILL WONT HELP

ALTHOUGH ITS PROBABLY THE BEST LOOKING MOD IVE DONE SO FAR.

SORRY JUST HAD TO SAY IT

LOL WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU BUT AFTER I DID MY HEADLIGHTS I SWORE NOT TO TOUCH IT AGAIN. SO YOU COULD GIVE ME 100K AND I STILL WONT HELP

SORRY JUST HAD TO SAY IT

aww LOL come onnn

now i understand y its the mod that u`ll only do ONCE in ur whole entire life

feel my pain jeremy...

post up a pic of your sexy gunmetal headlights

im sure there are alot of people here that would like to see what it looks like :clap:

SORRY JUST HAD TO SAY IT

aww LOL come onnn

please no temptation. i swore by it.