Black Headlight Surround Mod

ZAV

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is heatproof black paint always matte black? ive browsed through some and they only say "black"

No it is not. Also you don't need heatproof paint for the headlights. Mine hasn't cracked and its been half a year. Easiest is to go out to auto store an buy a generic black. Matte or gloss, your choice :)

is heatproof black paint always matte black? ive browsed through some and they only say "black"

No it is not. Also you don't need heatproof paint for the headlights. Mine hasn't cracked and its been half a year. Easiest is to go out to auto store an buy a generic black. Matte or gloss, your choice :)

thanks andy, the heatproof paint is self priming so i don't have do too much work on it. did you sand the chrome and primer it andy?

thanks andy, the heatproof paint is self priming so i don't have do too much work on it. did you sand the chrome and primer it andy?

nope..we just sprayed right over it..u`ll be fine..

nope..we just sprayed right over it..u`ll be fine..

cool thanks jeremy

have any of you guys taken your chrome off or are you spraying over it?

might be getting a spare set of lights next week so ill be doing mine soon too to match my jdm tailies lol!

No need to stirp crome. 3 years later mine still look brand new :)

Edited by Punk_200sx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hey guys! anyone in melb with experience and interested in helping me do this mod, im too scared to stuff it up! im willing to pay too! please PM me!

thanks, dan

urs looks like a preface lift :P alot more work needs to be done..taping it properly..

n becareful with taping cos when u pull it off..sometimes the chrome comes off too..be really careful

I wanna do that mod so bad since I saw it on alex pre-facelift....Was So Hot!!!....can someone help me out? :-D pweeezzzzzz I am not sure how hard/easy it is...can someone give me more info? I have a facelift....can someone gimme some guidance or clues or even things I should be watching for? :-l

I wanna do that mod so bad since I saw it on alex pre-facelift....Was So Hot!!!....can someone help me out? :-D pweeezzzzzz I am not sure how hard/easy it is...can someone give me more info? I have a facelift....can someone gimme some guidance or clues or even things I should be watching for? :-l

alex's preface has the JDM headlight which is a whole new set of lights has nothing to do with the stock ones :)

• 2 weeks later...
Was this the one your were referring to?

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=2957

Btw...would this fit a facelift? :-s If not, is there any similar product that would fit a facelift?

Hey gourou,

those are for the corolla XR and XRS over in the states im pretty sure

U'll have to go custom, and DIY :P

Here are the lights Ken is referring to... JDM style

Evo

Edited by Evo7

hey guys! anyone in melb with experience and interested in helping me do this mod, im too scared to stuff it up! im willing to pay too! please PM me!

thanks, dan

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much in the same shape as Danstar. If there is anyone out there with some expertise regarding this mod and could spare some time and help us with our lights, I would reward them handsomely :).

I'm also in Melbourne. Thanks

right so i attempted this last weekend.. and failed :(. dont know what toyota here uses for glue but its tough stuff! tried leaving the headlights in the oven for it to soften up, put it back in 5x, tried heatlamp, hairdryer and even a mini blowtorch! any ideas or tips? should i leave it in the oven for a longer time (left it in for 5min, 5x) turned the oven up to 170c, turned it off and left the lights in there.

any advice would be great, really want to get this done!

chay

right so i attempted this last weekend.. and failed :(. dont know what toyota here uses for glue but its tough stuff! tried leaving the headlights in the oven for it to soften up, put it back in 5x, tried heatlamp, hairdryer and even a mini blowtorch! any ideas or tips? should i leave it in the oven for a longer time (left it in for 5min, 5x) turned the oven up to 170c, turned it off and left the lights in there.

any advice would be great, really want to get this done!

chay

Hi chay,

few things-

1) have u removed all the screws ? theres one or two from memory that u mite have missed.

2) heat it till the tabs holding the lense is soft enough to pry away .

3) focus on prying one particular section at a time - prolly the inside of the headlamp 1st as on the 05 model the tips of the headlight is pushed-in so that u need to pull on an angel to remove.

4) use a knife to slowly seperate/ create an opening between the lense and backing - i ran the knife around the whole thing a few times

5) use a knife or a stick to cut off excess sealant when u have it opened to keep it seperated when u place it bak into oven .

hope this helps

i totally agree that the sealant is indestructable .

Cypher

Maybe all the Melbournians should get together and have a crack at this....Im gonna attempt this with thegourou20 but we just need a place to do it, so is there any volunteers out there?

hey! im down to join you and thegourou20 to do the headlight mod! are you guys located in melbourne?