Black Headlight Surround Mod

ZAV

Maybe all the Melbournians should get together and have a crack at this....Im gonna attempt this with thegourou20 but we just need a place to do it, so is there any volunteers out there?

hey! im down to join you and thegourou20 to do the headlight mod! are you guys located in melbourne?

Hmmm ....

I'm interested to get this done too .......

i used a hair dryer and that worked fine. pry open one end of the lense and the rest will follow.

How long did it take you?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe all the Melbournians should get together and have a crack at this....Im gonna attempt this with thegourou20 but we just need a place to do it, so is there any volunteers out there?

hey! im down to join you and thegourou20 to do the headlight mod! are you guys located in melbourne?

Hmmm ....

i used a hair dryer and that worked fine. pry open one end of the lense and the rest will follow.

it took me 2 half days because i was installing angel eyes too and was missing parts for it...

I wanna do that mod so bad since I saw it on alex pre-facelift....Was So Hot!!!....can someone help me out? :-D pweeezzzzzz I am not sure how hard/easy it is...can someone give me more info? I have a facelift....can someone gimme some guidance or clues or even things I should be watching for? :-l

alex's preface has the JDM headlight which is a whole new set of lights has nothing to do with the stock ones :)

Correction. Alex's headlamps ARE the stock headlights which he pryed open to spray it.

Hmmm ....

it took me 2 half days because i was installing angel eyes too and was missing parts for it...

I was after the time it take to use the hair dryer to pry open the head lamp. And how long before you got the glue soft enough to put it back again?

I wanna do that mod so bad since I saw it on alex pre-facelift....Was So Hot!!!....can someone help me out? :-D pweeezzzzzz I am not sure how hard/easy it is...can someone give me more info? I have a facelift....can someone gimme some guidance or clues or even things I should be watching for? :-l

alex's preface has the JDM headlight which is a whole new set of lights has nothing to do with the stock ones :)

Correction. Alex's headlamps ARE the stock headlights which he pryed open to spray it.

Hmmm ....

I was after the time it take to use the hair dryer to pry open the head lamp. And how long before you got the glue soft enough to put it back again?

erm... i blow dry the glue for a minute or two? the longer the better. unscrew, unhook tabs get a thin object to pry open the housing and hair dry around the opening to open better. to finish i just re heat the glue, close and screw in. i seriously can't remember how long it took me to open them but maybe an hour for both?

Hi chay,

few things-

1) have u removed all the screws ? theres one or two from memory that u mite have missed.

2) heat it till the tabs holding the lense is soft enough to pry away .

3) focus on prying one particular section at a time - prolly the inside of the headlamp 1st as on the 05 model the tips of the headlight is pushed-in so that u need to pull on an angel to remove.

4) use a knife to slowly seperate/ create an opening between the lense and backing - i ran the knife around the whole thing a few times

5) use a knife or a stick to cut off excess sealant when u have it opened to keep it seperated when u place it bak into oven .

hope this helps

i totally agree that the sealant is indestructable .

Cypher

screws... :whistling: ?

i dont recall seeing any? where abouts are they located? could be why i struggled so much! will defo use a knife next time to seperate the glue thou. so if i get rid of all the glue, would a clear silicon be ok to seal it back up?

chay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is no one able to give me any more tips? ive got the headlights on my lap atm, struggling to get em apart again.. when you mention screws, i cant find any on the back of the headlights.. and how do you run a knife round the whole edge when quite a bit of it is covered? anyone? :help:

is no one able to give me any more tips? ive got the headlights on my lap atm, struggling to get em apart again.. when you mention screws, i cant find any on the back of the headlights.. and how do you run a knife round the whole edge when quite a bit of it is covered? anyone? :help:

upload some photos of the lights. are they aftermarket copies?

where are u starting the seperation from?

i think youll find its easiest to start from the top corner

also might be easier if you have someone holding a hairdryer there as you attempt to pull it apart

if it gets too hard using a knife, try using a flathead screwdriver

and i cant see any screws in the headlight in those photos, dont know about other people but those headlights look different to the one in my car

where are u starting the seperation from?

i think youll find its easiest to start from the top corner

also might be easier if you have someone holding a hairdryer there as you attempt to pull it apart

if it gets too hard using a knife, try using a flathead screwdriver

and i cant see any screws in the headlight in those photos, dont know about other people but those headlights look different to the one in my car

those lights look identical to the aftermarket ones i have (can i have a look at the front to confirm?), i remember there is just ONE screw around this area...

becareful not to bend those tabs that the lens hook on when prying it open as those hold on the lens

i looked everywhere for screws but couldnt find anything.. one of the tabs snapped off which i wasnt happy about! i went round as much as i could with a tiny flathead screwdriver but had to stop when it slipped and went into my finger to the bone :blink: had to refit the lights for now but will take a pic of the front as soon as i can. i take it the lights from aus look different at the back then? no idea why theyde be different seeing as its both RHD countries!

i looked everywhere for screws but couldnt find anything.. one of the tabs snapped off which i wasnt happy about! i went round as much as i could with a tiny flathead screwdriver but had to stop when it slipped and went into my finger to the bone :blink: had to refit the lights for now but will take a pic of the front as soon as i can. i take it the lights from aus look different at the back then? no idea why theyde be different seeing as its both RHD countries!

after thinking, there might not be any screws attached to the lens. the screw i mentioned was for the inner housing i think. focus on a corner and once you have that end opened, it should be alright.

yeah those look different to genuine aus lights

• 1 month later...

does anyone have the original pics? the links seem to be dead now..... or does anyone have photos of them doing it on a preface?

Im thinking about doing this mod to a spare set of headlights i have just sitting in my garage, however they are a bit faded (reason why i bought new ones) so im not sure how they will turn out.

From what i can see they are faded mainly on the plastic lense and only a little bit on the chrome. Do u guys reckon it would be worth my time doing this mod? Not sure if they will be able to be cleaned up once i open them up?

post-6388-1245557376_thumb.jpg

post-6388-1245557401_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just looks like the lenses are cloudy, should come better if you pry them open and clean the inside of the lense...

On another note, car is off to the panel shop on monday to get all the scratches, chips and marks cleaned up and fixed, think I might ask them to paint the headlights while they're at it... Gotta rip the ones out of the 112 and get those painted orange at some stage too...

• 2 weeks later...
ive been interested in this for a while but not sure if i shoudl do it my self or with help/

I've also been interested in doing this for a while...... But I might wait until I get my angel eyes so I can do this and that in one hit

• 1 month later...
I was thinking about this mod, but abit worried. Might look into buying 2 headlights off ebay or something n trying it on that before the real thing. any other zre owners thinking about this mod? lol

i looking into it now, and might do it in the 1st week of october when i have my holidays i'll see how i go with it i guess

I was thinking about this mod, but abit worried. Might look into buying 2 headlights off ebay or something n trying it on that before the real thing. any other zre owners thinking about this mod? lol

i looking into it now, and might do it in the 1st week of october when i have my holidays i'll see how i go with it i guess

nice, be sure to post up pics and let us know how it goes and how much.

im looking into too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
quick question:

I have a 05 sportivo... can i go to the wreckers and buy headlights of an Ascent or other 05 06 models?

are they the same headlights? or does it have to be SA specific.

they are different. the SA lights are a grey colour at the back whereas the jap ones are black. also the metal cover thing that covers the light bulb looks different. i dont know if they are interchangable but better stick with SA parts for your sportivo